7-9-14 CCL Recaps: Custer drops 52

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by ChrisMWilliams, Jul 10, 2014.

1. CYUL8R

CYUL8R Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Ames, IA
    I think this Custer kid might be okay...

2. 501Clone

501Clone Active Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Ames, IA
    Bubu was just like this in CCL... let's not get carried away here.

3. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    Looks like it's too late. CYUL8R has obviously been carried away into Custerland judging by that response.

4. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Daniel Edozie scored 44 last night. Should tell you all you guys need to know.

5. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    He also "single handedly" saved the game vs. BYU last year. Guy is a stud. :)

6. CyArob

CyArob Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Nuclear Fusion
    MN
    It tells me that Edozie is going to be a scoring machine next year. ISU may score 250 points per game.

7. IASTATE4LIFE

IASTATE4LIFE Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I fully expect 20 per night from edozie, anything less would be a disappointment.

8. andybernard

andybernard Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2009
    You obviously forgot to factor in the bench points...

9. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Edozie looks quite a bit more comfortable on the court from what I've seen. That doesn't mean he will be a great player for us, but I do think he can give us a little more than he did last year when he has to play spot minutes.

And that's not a bad thing

10. Triggermv

Triggermv Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Energy Trader
    Marion, IA
    I agree with CWs usual assessment on what to take away from the CCL. While I'm not putting too much stock into Custer tearing up the CCL to the point where I'm sure he is going to be a solid contributor for ISU, at least his CCL performances have done nothing to discredit him either, like it has for certain players in the past (Jordan Railey, Dodie Dunson, Eric McKnight.... etc.).

What has been proven as faily solid takeaways is that if someone has a hard time producing in the CCL, they are more than likely going to have a hard time producing in the Big 12. There are a few exceptions though even to that like Hogue, who was good but not great last year in the CCL. Nevertheless, he still showed optimistics hints of what he could be, which I don't remember Eric McKnight ever showing. What I'm saying is there is no certainties with the CCL, but there are solid trends to look for.

11. FarminCy

FarminCy Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Panhandler
    Right Over There
    Was just going to type something similar. I'm just glad ISU appears to have every player capable of scoring insane points in the CCL. I know it doesn't mean much but in the past a portion of the team would struggle to do anything all summer.

12. EnhancedFujita

EnhancedFujita Active Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Male
    Johnston
    It definitely seems like scoring is up in the CCL for ISU players. It seems like 2-3 years ago we were wowed by a player getting 40-50 points. Now our backup post is doing it. Doesn't mean everyone will be a stud in the Big 12, but definitely indicates the continued upwards trend of talent at all spots on the team.

13. Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
    Energy Trader
    Marion, IA
    I agree. Crazy to see "The Dozer" finally chipping in some fairly solid numbers. I can't remember an ISU team with such a lack of weak links. Shoot, even some of our best teams in ISU history like the Tinsley/Fizer combo didn't have close to the solid depth this years team has.

14. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica

A real fan doesn't say "may." A real fan expects it to happen.

15. Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
    Energy Trader
    Marion, IA
    While I do agree with your statement and I think the majority of it is due to the increased quality of ISU players like you said, I also don't think we can deny that a portion of it is somewhat due to the quality of the league being down some too over the past few years. Back when we struggled more, we also struggled more against the likes of better Drake players than there are now, combined with the likes of individuals such as the Korvers, Harrison Barnes, Eric Crawford (former UNI player) and Doug McDermotts (I think he played) of the world. I just don't think we've had many of those in a while pariticipating. Shoot, I'm not sure I can name more than a couple players names playing this year not on the ISU team.

16. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    It's clear that a game will be a failure if we win by less than 185.
    If that happens in any of our games this season, it seems fair to question both Fred's ability and his allegiance to Iowa State University.

17. nfrine

nfrine Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Cyrob, you are all wet on 250 points. Hell, without Naing, Long and Nader the guys scored over 325 points last night. With them, it will be over 400 easy.

Mark it down.

18. flynnhicks03

flynnhicks03 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I can almost guarantee the first time we fail to beat a directional school by 50, someone (probably multiple someones) on here will be worried/angry/pessimistic about it.

19. clone4life82

clone4life82 Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Enginerd
    Ankeny

If I recall correctly, Barnes was drafted but never played (or if he did it was maybe one or two games). I don't ever remember Mcdermott playing.