4-2-5 Who starts?

Discussion in 'Football' started by burn587, Feb 3, 2010.

1. burn587

burn587 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The signing day chat piqued my interest when we started talking about the 4-2-5 being the most likely formation the clones use this year. Who do you guys have starting in the back 7 in this formation?

IMO the most important position is that tweener 5th DB/3rd LB. Needs to be someone of size and speed. When we played this formation in high school the position was called Rover. I think David Sims would make the perfect Rover. We all know that he's more than adept in the defensive backfield and I think he's got the size and hitting power to play an undersized linebacker if needed. The only flaw in this is that if we decide to go with a 4-3 at any point during a game, our best safety is off the field.

Anyway who starts if we use this formation?

2. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Benton played that role VERY well last year and will only be better this year. He has that position locked up.

I think his backup may be Floyd Mattison, although I think Cliff Morgan would fit well there too, from the new guys.

3. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    My concern with this formation would be having a SS with the size/durability to be able to come up and fill the gaps.

4. burn587

burn587 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Benton played it in a traditional nickel sense on passing downs and distance. I'm wondering that if this formation is used at pretty much all times do you think Benton is enough of a body to take on run blocking?

5. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    Adrian Bennett-6'1 205. However I think that Givens will initially be that guy. Everyone knows that I like the outlook for Mattison and Bennett. Mattison wil likely fill that spinner role and I think Bennett is a safety. I think both have the chance to be very very good players.

6. Tre4ISU

Dec 31, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    He played there basically the whole Army game. Before he got hurt we were primarily in that set. I think the key is where he is at coverage wise. We may be stronger at that hybrid spot than we are on outside coverage. If he is our second best cover guy I think we are probably better served moving him outside as long as we have someone to move to his old spot.

7. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I noticed that Morgan is listed as a DB/LB on the signing page today, which made me think he may play that role. He's listed at 6'2" 190#.

8. bosco

bosco Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Des Moines
    It looks like we may be down a LB from this class. With the number of DB's we recruited this year is there a possibility of moving Bennett to that spot or switching positions to LB? He definitely has the speed and the frame if he can add a few more pounds.

9. Tre4ISU

Dec 31, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    I forgot to mention him. Great size and good speed. I think he could fill into that SS or hybrid role as well. I see those three guys with tremendous measureables and I believe they will provide us a lot of depth in the middle of the field along with Givens. I think McCullough is a guy that can also fit in there. I think a couple of these guys will have to be corners but honestly I am not sure which ones it will be. I think for next year we are in decent shape but down the road we will need some help there. Overall I just love the size of these DBs that have been brought in.

10. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    TJ McCullough is supposed to end up as a CB (at 6').
    I have a feeling that Morgan will either end up as a fixture in the Nickle slot or put on some weight and move to linebacker. I have heard some talk that he is 6'3 and over 200 now. We will see for sure when he gets to campus.
    Bennett deffinitely looks like he has the frame to end up as a linebacker but we will see.
    Matt Thomas is supposed to be all CB.

Back to the original topic, I feel out 5 DB starters next year will be the following:

CB - LJ - Obviously
    SS - Sims - Seems to have the best hitting ability and athleticism of the safeties we have
    FS - Durrell Givens - JuCo coach raved about his deep cover ability which is just what we need.
    CB - Anthony Young - I think he will be our best option giving Washington and Reeves more time as the full time backups
    NB - Benton - All the way!

11. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    #11 mt85, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    I believe Adrian Bennett and Clifford Morgan are both projected to be hybrid linebackers.

12. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    I love athleticism in the linebacker slots! Can you say Ace Bown or Jon Banks!

13. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland