Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks to @JHUNSY for this one.

What trash have you taken home from someone else's curb/dumpster?

Reactions: JHUNSY

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
I had a friend that put a used mattress out in front of his house with a free sign on it. It sat in the yard for a few days, no one took it. Then it got rained on. Then he put a sign on it that said $10. Then someone stole it.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
When I lived in Ames we took a charcoal grill that someone put on the curb and used it for the next 2 years. It was one of those barrel style grills.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I've never taken anything but I lived with a guy that worked a trash route for about 6 months. People would have yard sales and then just throw away stuff that didn't sell. That's where we got our dishes from. They were all boxed up just sitting on the trash.

When my parents cleaned out the attic before moving to Virginia, they had a yard sale and everything else went to the curb. One of our oldest neighbors called her that night and told her that we must have really good trash because there were like 4 families digging through it. Mom said they took about half of it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm usually the one leaving unwanted stuff on the curb it seems like. Wouldn't call it a curb find but it was free to me so I guess it kind of qualifies but my brother in law moved this summer and had a bar in his basement. Said I could have it if I found someone to help me haul it as he didn't want to mess with it so I now have a nice bar in my man cave that probably would have cost me at least $500 or more if I were to go buy one like it at one of the rec room type of stores.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
When I was in KC, I used to snag some stuff from the dumpster behind this pottery studio down the street from the Westside Local. They would sometimes throw out stuff with little deformities, but some of it was useful for utensil dishes or pen holders, and the deformities made it cool.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Nothing, and I can't even get rid of stuff by leaving it on the curb since I live on a short dead end street with no drive-by traffic. I hate tossing stuff that someone might be able to use but sometimes even listing it for free on Craigslist isn't a great option. Did find a home for my old Schwinn 10-speed (really nice shape but 30 years old, something nobody on Craigs would want since in Mpls you have hundreds of bikes listed) Some cool little bike shop in Mpls takes them as donations to fix/sell of cannibalize for parts.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We never went out looking, but on our way home one night, we passed by a house and saw an adjustable basketball hoop. It had a plastic backboard and could be adjusted up to 8'. I felt dirty, but we grabbed it since my daughter had been asking about a hoop. I think she used it 5 times. About two years later, we set it out during big item pick up, and it was gone within half an hour.

The circle of life.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We grabbed one of those little two foot around mini trampolines from the neighbor's curb down the street about 10 years ago. The kids used it until it was used up this last summer. No shame here.

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was dragging an old bed out once. While dragging the mattress a guy asked if it had a box spring, I said a frame would be there also later. He asked if I wanted him to help bring it out. I said no, (I didn't want a guy who would take a curb mattress to be I need my house).

Another time I had a old lawn spreader on the curb, someone took that and left a pile of bricks and paint cans. WTF, this ain't trade day, it's garbage day. Especially when he left crap that they wouldn't take.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I convinced some kids from 3 blocks away to take an old Cabinet TV from the neighbors house. Some jackwagon cut the cord off (a lot of copper you know) the night before. I could hear their dad chewing them out a block away as they pushed it down the street.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Neighbor had an hose reel that looks like a box. I had one like it but i leaked really bad. I saw his by the curb that was missing a roller, replaced it with one off mine and put my old reel box back on curb.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I set some rotten fence boards out by the curb (our garbage collection would take ANYTHING you set out), but they got scooped up by somebody before the garbage man got there.

I think they probably had termites in them as well.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I've had good luck with putting stuff on the curb and finding it gone the next morning when I lived on a busy street. Most things I'll take to Goodwill, but some stuff just wasn't worth the effort. Amazing what people will pick up if it's free!

A friend of mine discovered a set of four bar stool chairs - solid wood with "I-State" painted and sealed in on the seat backs - sitting on the curb once when she was driving around specifically looking for 'junk.' There wasn't a scratch on them and she figured they must have cost several hundred dollars when purchased. They're still sitting at her basement bar today (this was probably 8 years ago or so).

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I had a friend that put a used mattress out in front of his house with a free sign on it. It sat in the yard for a few days, no one took it. Then it got rained on. Then he put a sign on it that said $10. Then someone stole it.

Similar story, but when we were moving down to KC, we had a hide a bed couch we were desperately trying to get rid of. Put it on Craigslist for $50...then $40..then $25 with zero inquirers. Someone told me that I was selling it to cheap, so no one would want it as they would think it's cheap. I then put it on for $100, and within a day I had it sold after the guy "talked me down" to $50