Question about Uber in Des Moines

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
SIAP....

Can you make money driving for Uber in Des Moines?

Is Uber very popular in Des Moines?

Are there too many uber drivers already in Des Moines?

Can you make it work as a full time job or is it best as supplemental income?

Curious if anyone has any knowledge on this - thanks.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Never a driver but every driver I've talked to seemed to be doing just for fun or as a second job.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Adding off dmclone, the only person I've ever met that had it as a full time job was complaining the whole time that her husband was telling her she needs to get a real job.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
There was someone on here last year that seemed to have figured out where to park and what times for steady income but I think it was a second job for him. He made it sound like you pretty much have to work crap hours and pick up a lot of drunk people.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agreed. I dont know that there's enough consistent demand here for it to be full time.
There was someone on here last year that seemed to have figured out where to park and what times for steady income but I think it was a second job for him. He made it sound like you pretty much have to work crap hours and pick up a lot of drunk people.

Sounds about right. I dont think there's enouh consistent demand for it to be a full time primary income thing here in dsm. Bar close and rush hours i imagine are the only consistent times.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Agreed. I dont know that there's enough consistent demand here for it to be full time.

Sounds about right. I dont think there's enouh consistent demand for it to be a full time primary income thing here in dsm. Bar close and rush hours i imagine are the only consistent times.
Definitely think that if you are fine working bar close and stuff you can make a lot of secondary income. Three of us split an uber from court avenue and each person was $17.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Definitely think that if you are fine working bar close and stuff you can make a lot of secondary income. Three of us split an uber from court avenue and each person was $17.

For sure, especially when surge is going.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The only (few) drivers I encountered that do it full time were in Chicago. In comparison, most of the drivers I've had here in Ames do it as a second job/for supplemental income.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
last weekend in Chicago I used Uber three times. All three times there were full-time'ing it. They had other PT jobs too. One had put 20,000 miles on their car in 4 months with Uber.

In DSM? if you do it part time and work during peak times... it could be a good PT gig.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I know an electrician that drove for Lyft while laid off. Of course this is Omaha but he said hanging around the old market at weekend nights got you the most work. Usually groups of drunk young women.