Search results

1. fatkid1974

Moe Cason looking to open BBQ restaurant in DM

Mo's an idiot. He's stirred up quite a **** storm in the competition world with those comments where he was already very unpopular. He's has never won anything, his Jack invite last year was a loophole ******** invite. Maybe someday he'll realize that pr in a town where you want to open a...
  2. fatkid1974

Pellet Grilling class at Firetrucker

I posted in a Smoker thread a while back that there was a smoking/grilling class in the works. This is finally able to be announced. Details can be found at iabbq.org or Iowa BBQ Society & Firetrucker's facebook pages.
  3. fatkid1974

Celebrity Deaths

My view is that death is undefeated, it's going to happen. I've also been accused of being a cold hearted ******* so there's that. I feel a sense of shock when a celebrity passes young, but usually only remember where I'm at when I hear the news. If I personally know a person, friend or...
  4. fatkid1974

Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Possibly, I just got active in the bbq society thing in the past year. Cook mostly pro comps as Bulu BBQ
  5. fatkid1974

Couldn't agree more. I used to do low and slow on everything. Switched to hot and fast when I decided that getting sleep during a bbq competition was beneficial. It's bled into my personal cooks because I consider them practice. Either way turns out great food if cooked to the proper tenderness.
  6. fatkid1974

Smoke rings look nice, but they are over rated. If you put tender quick or MSG on the brisket you can get a smoke ring in the oven. Here's a 4 hour brisket, still a good smoke ring and just as tender and juicy as a 16 hour one.
  7. fatkid1974

I'm with the Iowa BBQ Society and that was one of our events years ago. We are actually looking at bringing the ISU meat lab class back in 2020. Keep and eye out at iabbq.org and we'll have updated information there. Probably after first of year, we're in the middle of a website revamp so new...
  8. fatkid1974

Matt Thomas sighting in Raptors Letterkenny spoof video......

I was surfing through reddit the other day.......
  9. fatkid1974

Casey's Card Reader not Working

I live in a small town Casey's town and ours is terrible. People in the kitchen haven't a clue about how to keep a warmer or donut case stocked and the only time the 2nd worker is running the 2nd register is when an area manager is in town. We refuse to order pizza from there and if we need to...
  10. fatkid1974

Smoking a Pork Belly

Yes, but the amount depends on exact size of belly so I don't have it officially listed in my recipe. Off the top of memory I believe it's 1 tsp per 5lbs No I remove the seeds and stems.....
  11. fatkid1974

Smoking a Pork Belly

Pig belly fat, plus frying grease!?!?! I think i'm in love!
  12. fatkid1974

Smoking a Pork Belly

Jalepeno/Cilantro Bacon Recipe for 2.5-3 lb belly 2.5 tbls salt 1.5 tbls white sugar 1/4 cup maple syrup or dark brown sugar 3 whole jalepenos 2 cloves garlic 1/4 red onion 1/4 cup chopped cilantro 3 fresh bay leaves Mix in blender, put in bag with belly and flip every day for 7 days. I use a...
  13. fatkid1974

Who's in charge of ISU camera security........

Some building on campus appears to have 5 camera's with default UN/PW and WAN access. I'm not a former student, so I can't play guess the building. http://www.insecam.org/en/bycity/Ames/?page=1
  14. fatkid1974

Smoking a Pork Belly

You definitely taste the cilantro and jalepeno, belly gets a little bit of a green tint to it. Absolutely no heat transfer from the Jalepeno's either. I'll post the brine mix when I get home from work.
  15. fatkid1974

Smoking a Pork Belly

Looks like some good recipe's being shared, only thing I'd make sure to pay attention 2 that hasn't been mentioned is to make sure the cubes you make aren't too big. I made that mistake first time and it affected the cook and taste. Keep in the 1/2-3/4" cube range for best results IMO. The...
  16. fatkid1974

What is your Pet Peeve

To add to this, whenever I road trip with my brother or wife there will be dead silence. I'll turn up the radio for a little noise, within seconds of this happening all of the sudden we are now having a conversation. Radio gets turned down, then conversation ends. Radio up, conversation...
  17. fatkid1974

What is your Pet Peeve

The word 'whatnot'. It's the word of the idiot. Usually thrown into conversation when the other person's mouth gets ahead of their brain. They can't think of anything else to say so a 'and whatnot' is usually what follows.
  18. fatkid1974

Verizon 5G Coming to Des Moines in 2019

The Verizon rep that came to our office yesterday said that they are concentrating the initial roll out in metro's that don't have current Verizon saturation. Said Iowa is about 75% verizon customers and they are going to concentrate on the Minneapolis and Chicago markets, get the kinks worked...
  19. fatkid1974

Tips on Buying a Smoker for a novice?

Walmart cheap drum - I have 4 drum smokers and love all of them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Barrel-House-Cooker-18C/333914739 Walmart Cheap Oklahoma Joe Offset - have had 2 buddies buy these and both love them for the price...
  20. fatkid1974

Office Computer Networking Issue

https://www.mechdyne.com/tech-services-get-help-now.aspx