UCLA to the BIG 12???

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
One of the sports networks reported that UCLA was sending out feelers about interest from the BIG 12. I know, not another expansion thread, but why the rumor?

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I saw this on college football live the other day, and I think it came about due to some comments Rick Neuheisel made in a radio interview the other day

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Which sports network? I know the old football coach said UCLA should look in to it, which doesn't hold much weight. That being said, it doesn't mean there isn't smoke coming from UCLA administration.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Any PAC12 team leaving would not be a great fit in the Big 12. It would be a dis-service to their students as well. Too much traveling.

The exception to this would be Colorado.

I still think it would be cool to pick up 6 PAC-12 schools and be the first super conference.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Any PAC12 team leaving would not be a great fit in the Big 12. It would be a dis-service to their students as well. Too much traveling.

The exception to this would be Colorado.

I still think it would be cool to pick up 6 PAC-12 schools and be the first super conference.

Of course it's nuts, but I'm with you. I can understand if WVU wouldn't want to stay under that scenario, but there are properties out west that ought consider it if they want to continue to build their brand. Pac-12 suffers because nobody watches, and there are only more eyeballs looking East. To get them you either coax teams over or go their way. A good hunk of that conference would probably love to have third tier income back that they currently split with less "consumable" schools in that conference.

It's a longer long shot than any of the ACC rumors we had last time though.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I think if BYU is coming to the league, they will need a travel partner. One of Colorado St, Boise St, Colorado, and Utah will probably also be in the league if BYU comes. Utah would be kind of cool just because of the rivalry with BYU, but any of them would be nice selfishly just because they all would be nice places to travel for a road game.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I think if BYU is coming to the league, they will need a travel partner. One of Colorado St, Boise St, Colorado, and Utah will probably also be in the league if BYU comes. Utah would be kind of cool just because of the rivalry with BYU, but any of them would be nice selfishly just because they all would be nice places to travel for a road game.

Yes, because a school of 30,000 is just like your Great Aunt or a Little League team heading to a tournament in Omaha next weekend. Whoever the partner ends up being I hope they at least chip in for gas.

• Useful
Reactions: LSGOST8

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
This travel partner stuff is complete non sense...Who cares if you have a neighbor..it means your fans get to travel a shorter distance what once every other year? Who cares..makes zero sense to select a team based on that.

My feeling is that they add BYU and CSU fball only and Cinnci and Houston as full members.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Does anyone even know what travel partner means... functionally? Is it a real thing? Honest question.
I think it derives from the PAC 10 when they would do Thurs and Sat BB games with the nearby school...so you might play at Washington on Thursday and then at Washington state on Saturday. I want to say they were doing that until like 6-7 years ago.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Maybe BYU doesn't need a travel partner, but like I said selfishly, it would be fun to do a road trip for a game at Boise. I fully realize my travel preferences have no affect on Bowlsby's decision

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Travel partners are legit for Olympic sports. They cut the cost for the non Revenue teams to travel. It also helps in recruiting.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Who is their travel partner now?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Travel partners used to be a common concept in sports where teams play games on a Thu/Sat or Fri/Sat schedule. The Pac12 still uses- for example in MBB Arizona will play USC on Thu and UCLA on Sat. In the Pac12 each team has a travel partner. My guess it is more common when there is great distance between schools.

I think the bigger issue today is having a geographic rival. It seems like an overrated concept, but sounds like an issue for WVU. Probably because it would be nice to have at least one close roadtrip on the schedule.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

If BYU gets a travel partner the conference might as well go to 16. Houston, BUY, Bosie, CSU, Memphis and Cinci.