Interstate construction South of Ames

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
What are they building south of Ames? Is this the beginning of fixing the cluster ### interchange of I 35 and U.S. 30, or are they finally going to make it 6 lanes from Des Moines to the biggest University in the State?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I could be wrong, but I thought they were widening the highway.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
No. The whole 6-lanes from Ankeny to Ames is not a for sure thing as of last I knew. This project is simply replacing the bridges over the Skunk River, and adding a large culvert just to the north of the river.

I think you are right about not being a sure thing, but the grading/bridge/culvert work is done such that if they do widen, those "structure" constraints would be ready. I think it will also result in a wider median between NB and SB lanes, similar to the I-35 six lane widening south of West Des Moines.

To the first comment re I-35 & US 30, they are also planning to improve that interchange but I am not sure the year.

(I don't work for DOT)

Here is info re the I-35 from Ankeny to Ames:
http://www.news.iowadot.gov/pim/2016/06/interstate-35-polkstory-counties-june-20.html

Here (click on project display) is info re: the first phase of I-35 & US 30 interchange, to build a direct connection for NB to WB traffic instead of the overlapping on & off loop ramps:
http://www.news.iowadot.gov/pim/2016/02/i-35us-30-in-story-county-feb-16-2016.html

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
No. The whole 6-lanes from Ankeny to Ames is not a for sure thing as of last I knew. This project is simply replacing the bridges over the Skunk River, and adding a large culvert just to the north of the river.

It's pretty close to a sure thing. The current project is replacing the bridges and widening the pavement to accomodate 6 lanes in the future. Construction on widening to six lanes could start by 2020: http://amestrib.com/news/iowa-dot-looks-expand-i-35-six-lanes-between-ames-ankeny

I35/Hwy 30 interchange upgrades will start next year as well.

• Agree
Reactions: isumellie

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

That sure is a lot of work going on if it is not also related to widening I-35.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That sure is a lot of work going on if it is not also related to widening I-35.

Well it sounds like it is becoming more of a sure thing than last I heard, but i do know the Skunk River bridge was on schedule to be replaced regardless of the plans to increase the corridor to six lanes.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Three lanes seems like a waste of money.

Not at all. That section of interstate is extremly busy. It was nearing over 50,000 vehicles per day last year, and was the busiest non urban corridor in the state. Anyone who drives that thing during morning or evening commute can attest it's a nightmare.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Seems to be pretty common for the dept to be forward thinking. The bridges on I-80 over the Cedar River were replaced with 6 lane versions in the last couple of years. There def seems to be plans in the works to take I-80 to six lanes from Iowa City to Davenport.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Been driving that route for 35 years, and the I-35 US 30 interchange has always seemed oddly constructed for two major four-lane highways. Looks as though the new plans are for a much safer and faster exchange.

Truck traffic may also play a role. Many truck companies require drivers to drive 60-65 mph. Slow trucks can cause traffic delays and even some road rage.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Been driving that route for 35 years, and the I-35 US 30 interchange has always seemed oddly constructed for two major four-lane highways. Looks as though the new plans are for a much safer and faster exchange.

Truck traffic may also play a role. Many truck companies require drivers to drive 60-65 mph. Slow trucks can cause traffic delays and even some road rage.

It seems like they need to get to work on the US 30 interchange pretty quickly. That is terrible. And I think they had a fatality a year or so ago that was really just from a car getting pinched IIFC.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Three lanes seems like a waste of money.

Not really. That area is very busy and getting busier.

We also need to 3-lane I-80 from des moines all the way to the quad cities, possibly with the 'no trucks' left lane they are exploring.

We're kind of deficient as a state here. I've been noticing that a lot on my trip this month (denver-omaha-oklahoma-texas-louisiana-ms-al-ga so far) that many far less trafficked stretches are 3 lanes. Maybe if we hadnt blown a lot of the new gas tax money on making a barely trafficked road in NW is (US 20) 2 lanes in both directions, we'd have the money ready for the actual roads that have traffic justifying widening, instead of just paying off politically loyal areas.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
This (widening to 6 lanes) is definitely something that needs to happen. Traffic will not get 'better' on 35 and it simply won't fit onto four lanes for much longer. More lanes is the only solution. I can remember as a kid, driving to Des Moines with my grandparents in the 70s and the interstate being virtually deserted. Thanks to those graphics linked in an above article, we can see how greatly the daily numbers have grown (nearly doubling in just the past 15 years to 48,000 vehicles a day). I had no idea how quickly they'd increased, but it's pretty obvious when you see the data. It will be a mess when it's going on, but worth it by the time it's done (new off-ramp to 30, included).

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I like how Nebraska was able to get their 6-lane expansion to Lincoln done easily yet to do the same thing to Ames, half the distance, it is taking decades. Anyone who has driven between Lincoln and Omaha has notices how nice it is to have 3 lane interstates between two major cities.

A waste of money was moving those rest stops from Ankeny to only a couple miles north of Ankeny where they will be surrounded by houses again in 5 years and become obsolete again.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and Turn2

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I like how Nebraska was able to get their 6-lane expansion to Lincoln done easily yet to do the same thing to Ames, half the distance, it is taking decades. Anyone who has driven between Lincoln and Omaha has notices how nice it is to have 3 lane interstates between two major cities.

A waste of money was moving those rest stops from Ankeny to only a couple miles north of Ankeny where they will be surrounded by houses again in 5 years and become obsolete again.

I agree those rest areas were a giant waste of money, but they will never be surrounded by houses. They are pretty much in the middle of no where, and there is zero chance Ankeny ever grows that far north.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I agree those rest areas were a giant waste of money, but they will never be surrounded by houses. They are pretty much in the middle of no where, and there is zero chance Ankeny ever grows that far north.

They are only 3 miles south of Ankeny, the 3rd fastest growing city in the entire United States...

Just since 2000, Ankeny has grown more than 5 miles north of where it used to end. 15 years ago, there were no houses west of I-80/35 and now you can drive 7 miles west to Waukee and beyond and not see a single field anymore. Like it or not, DSM is growing faster than it ever has. I bet the area between Ankeny and Ames is nearly filled in in 50 years, which gives those rest stops about 7-10 years.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
They are only 3 miles south of Ankeny, the 3rd fastest growing city in the entire United States...

Just since 2000, Ankeny has grown more than 5 miles north of where it used to end. 15 years ago, there were no houses west of I-80/35 and now you can drive 7 miles west to Waukee and beyond and not see a single field anymore. Like it or not, DSM is growing faster than it ever has. I bet the area between Ankeny and Ames is nearly filled in in 50 years, which gives those rest stops about 7-10 years.
I will bet my entire worth that never happens.

Also, Ankeny has only grown 2 miles. 5 miles south of the current limits is Oralabor. 2 miles south is 18th Street. Most of the housing south of 18th street is well over 40 years old.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

Those rest stops have eliminated truckers sleeping on the entrance ramps, which has been positive for me. Nothing worse than dodging 3 semis every morning on a single entrance ramp because they couldn't pull all the way off the road.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfan4good

Help Support Us

Become a patron