First Game Traditions

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
Before the first game of every year, I set out my jersey (I'm still wearing the #20 because no one has replaced Knott in my heart yet... we'll see who this year's jersey will be...) on the end of my bed, make sure it's in good shape to wear.

I also have a stuffed Cy pillow that only sleeps on my bed for the night before game days (and he gets to stay for the whole week if we win). Been doing that one since I was a little kid (though it wasn't a pillow for a lot of years).

I also always make sure I'm in the stadium the moment they open the doors, and I take a photo of Jack every 10 minutes up until kick off.

Does anyone else have any fun rituals that they go through to get ready for Cyclone Football each year?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I like to wash my jock strap and also get the old nut cup out of the closet and ready for the next day.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Get really jittery and I feel like throwing up about 30 minutes before the game. The week of the Iowa game I can move this feeling up about 3 days.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Gawd I hate Iowa week. I'm sick all week hoping that we beat those ******.

Really that entire week is no fun for me. I get that same feeling to the point that the only thing I might happen to enjoy is the actual win if it happens, but either way I am just relieved it is over.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I had tons of first game traditions in college!

But I don't remember any of them. That may have been the tradition. I was a freshman for the '94 season...cut me a break.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I also always make sure I'm in the stadium the moment they open the doors, and I take a photo of Jack every 10 minutes up until kick off.
I do find this a bit odd. I really don't know how early the gates open, but if I'm reading this correctly you are left with 20-some very similar photos. Since it's...you know...a statue and all...

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I had tons of first game traditions in college!

But I don't remember any of them. That may have been the tradition. I was a freshman for the '94 season...cut me a break.

That season was a cruel entry into the world of Cyclone football. My condolences.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
up early, coffee, dump, more coffee, dump. Just like every day, I guess.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
I do find this a bit odd. I really don't know how early the gates open, but if I'm reading this correctly you are left with 20-some very similar photos. Since it's...you know...a statue and all...

I think he means he takes a picture of the stadium every 10 minutes, as it fills in.