Chances of landing Raridon

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
I just saw the ESPN 300 for the class of 2016, and saw that John Raridon of WDM Valley is ranked #69. I really don't know anything about him. Anyone know what our chances are of landing him?

He's the top player in the state in that class, so doesn't that mean we're automatic? :wink:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
He has brothers who went to, what, Notre Dame and Wisconsin? And his dad was from Mason City, played for Barry Alvarez there, and went to Nebby. So, unless we have a big turnaround season this year, I don't think we have a huge shot at landing him.

To be honest, the guy I'm keeping my eye on is Matt Farniok. Perfect spot to sign him.

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
He has brothers who went to, what, Notre Dame and Wisconsin? And his dad was from Mason City, played for Barry Alvarez there, and went to Nebby. So, unless we have a big turnaround season this year, I don't think we have a huge shot at landing him.

To be honest, the guy I'm keeping my eye on is Matt Farniok. Perfect spot to sign him.

OK, thanks. Didn't know any background info on him. You're right, doesn't sound good if he has family ties elsewhere.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I played with his older brother Scott. I don't remember a whole lot of loyalty much to either Iowa school, so if he's the same, chances are if a big boy comes knocking, I'd have to think there's not much tying him to the state through loyalty.

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
He'll be a husker, hawkeye, sooner, or golden domer. Would bet a lot on one of those four. That doesn't narrow it down much but that's just what I hear from West Des Moines.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This brings about the age old question of what would you do in their shoes? Would you stay loyal to the local program or go to one of the "blue bloods" of college football?

And on a smaller scale, which doesn't really apply in this case, if you were a fringe Division I talent, would you walk-on to the state school, knowing you probably wouldn't play much, or go D-II or D-III knowing that you'd get a lot of playing time?

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Depends if that D1 school is IOWA STATE? :rolleyes:

I actually ask it because a guy from my hometown went to Iowa State as a preferred walk-on. He ended up earning a scholarship for his senior year, but it still leaves much to the imagination of what kind of playing time and exposure he could have gotten at a smaller school.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If it were me, I'd go else where. I love ISU, but if I had a chance to go anywhere in the country for free, I'd probably find somewhere else besides Ames Ia.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
As someone who had a Scholly from a small school and took it and wasn't recruited as a Walk on from the big boys, if I were I would have done that in a heart beat. Oh and If me in his shoes i would stay loyal, but I have a loyalty to begin with.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
As someone who had a Scholly from a small school and took it and wasn't recruited as a Walk on from the big boys, if I were I would have done that in a heart beat. Oh and If me in his shoes i would stay loyal, but I have a loyalty to begin with.

Thanks for your perspective, If it were me I would take the scholly and never look back...Its nice to play division one football but that scholly means a lot.

I had a friend of mine who only got 2 offers, one from Drake and the other one from Kansas and he took the KU offer and played four years....

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
This brings about the age old question of what would you do in their shoes? Would you stay loyal to the local program or go to one of the "blue bloods" of college football?

And on a smaller scale, which doesn't really apply in this case, if you were a fringe Division I talent, would you walk-on to the state school, knowing you probably wouldn't play much, or go D-II or D-III knowing that you'd get a lot of playing time?

Clifford Kwaw-Mensah did exactly this. Walked on at ISU for not much playing time. Had full rides to Grand View and Southern Illinois.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
He'll be a husker, hawkeye, sooner, or golden domer. Would bet a lot on one of those four. That doesn't narrow it down much but that's just what I hear from West Des Moines.

I could see ND or OU, but why would the kid consider the other two?

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
My son goes to Valley. He says Rairdon is ND's to lose. If they offer supposedly he will commit. I guess he already has an OU offer in hand.