The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
By all accounts, NDSU for the past several years has fielded a football team that is equal to or better than ISU.

The Bison are the current three-time defending NCAA Division I-FCS National Champions and have a 43-2 record since the start of 2011, the best record in all of Division I Football during that time frame.

The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players coming from the upper midwestern states, in the heart of ISU's backyard. There's a lot to be said for choosing hometown players.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
The problem with that is that the levels of competition are different. My college (the College of Wooster) has the highest winning percentage in the NCAA in the 2000's (.847). That doesn't mean they have been better teams than Iowa State since 2000 (Iowa State's winning percentage is .568 over that same span).

Last edited:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I would take last three years NDSU program over Iowa State in a heart beat. But most of that is because I've hated our offensive coordinator the last three years

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
The problem with that is that the levels of competition are different. My college (the College of Wooster) is the "winningest" basketball program in the NCAA in the 2000's (387-69). That doesn't mean they have been better teams than Iowa State since 2000.

I understand your point but...

CPR says there are only 8 or so D1 players each year from our state and the OP 's point is that we don't need to obsessively recruit Texas and Florida to find good players. There are good players around if we can mold them to suit our needs it may benefit us more than spending so much time down south.

What would happen if you put NDSU in a Top 5 conference? I don't know but I'd sure love to see Auburn or Florida State play the FCS winner in an exhibition game.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Yeah this team while I respect what they have done. Would get murdered if they played in the big 12. You tink they walk into Norman or Austin and walk out with anything less than a 50-80 point beat down?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

CPR says there are only 8 or so D1 players each year from our state and the OP 's point is that we don't need to obsessively recruit Texas and Florida to find good players. There are good players around if we can mold them to suit our needs it may benefit us more than spending so much time down south.

What would happen if you put NDSU in a Top 5 conference? I don't know but I'd sure love to see Auburn or Florida State play the FCS winner in an exhibition game.

West Virginia and TCU were top tier programs in the Big East and MWC respectively. They also have the benefit of having much more fertile recruiting grounds than the upper midwest. Both teams have seen first hand how fun it is to join a big boy league.

Reactions: Acylum

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin

But what's considered a "good player" at the FCS level is different than at the big 12 level. Those players may be good enough to win at the FCS and occasionally pick off a power 5 conference team, but aren't good enough to consistently compete at the big 12 level. Just like how Wooster does very well in d-3 and can come close to winning in an exhibition game at d-1, but could not compete at that level.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

NDSU isn't D1, at least not in the sense that was intended (FBS) so I don't really see the point there.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
By all accounts, NDSU for the past several years has fielded a football team that is equal to or better than ISU.

The Bison are the current three-time defending NCAA Division I-FCS National Champions and have a 43-2 record since the start of 2011, the best record in all of Division I Football during that time frame.

The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players coming from the upper midwestern states, in the heart of ISU's backyard. There's a lot to be said for choosing hometown players.

I should have stopped reading after the first sentence. Terrible post.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Our 2012 and 2013 teams were better. NDSU wouldn't have reached 6 wins either of those years. Last year is a different story though.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
This type of argument seems bad. Different levels of competition.

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
Unfortunately. A random number generator and/or dart-throwing baboon would have been more effective.

Sadly, there was many a game last season that I would have liked to bring out the dart-throwing baboon. Even with a poster board sized playbook that the other team's defense could read after the baboon's dart hit its mark, we could have potentially been better off. Then again, throwing darts into a playbook riddled with screen passes might not have been any better...

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

If that is the point that the OP is trying to make, then the OP's point is just flat out wrong.

ADJP somewhat discussed this yesterday in the KXNO podcast. Because of their close proximity to the talent pool, the walk-ons that the likes of UT, OU, OSU, TTU, TCU, and BU get are such that most can play some Big 12 minutes immediately. At a minimum, just to keep from falling any further behind, ISU needs to recruit at least the same caliber as those aforementioned walk-ons. To make improvements, ISU needs to recruit talent better than those walk-ons.

If ISU went to a model where they focused on recruiting "moldable" players (players that need 1-2 years of development before they can play Big 12 minutes), ISU would quickly become completely uncompetitive. The team depth would be devastated relative to ISU's Big 12 peers.

The notion that ISU should stop spending recruiting time "down south" pursuing Big 12-ready players and concentrate on recruiting and molding the local talent into Big 12 caliber is nonsensical.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The OP's point is just flat out wrong.

ADJP somewhat discussed this yesterday in the KXNO podcast. Because of their close proximity to the talent pool, the walk-ons that the likes of UT, OU, OSU, TTU, TCU, and BU get are such that most can play some Big 12 minutes immediately. At a minimum, just to keep from falling any further behind, ISU needs to recruit at least the same caliber as those aforementioned walk-ons. To make improvements, ISU needs to recruit talent better than those walk-ons.

If ISU went to a model where they focused on recruiting "moldable" players (players that need 1-2 years of development before they can play Big 12 minutes), ISU would quickly become completely uncompetitive. The team depth would be devastated relative to ISU's Big 12 peers.

The notion that ISU should stop spending recruiting time "down south" pursuing Big 12-ready players and concentrate on recruiting and molding the local talent into Big 12 caliber is nonsensical.

The talent pool in a state like Texas is ridiculous compared to some of the Midwest states. And every big school in the country is going after the top Texas recruits. The three star players from Texas would beat the crap out of 90% of the top talent in Iowa ever year.

NDSU has had success lately. A senior laden team who's had solid coaching for their entire careers has a chance to beat a more physically talented team who is not focused, has inexperienced young players, or has issues with their coaching staff **cough Messingham cough**. Day in, day out in a conference like the Big 12? NDSU would be crushed on a regular basis. They might be able to compete with MAC teams but I still think that's a stretch.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
The talent pool in a state like Texas is ridiculous compared to some of the Midwest states. And every big school in the country is going after the top Texas recruits. The three star players from Texas would beat the crap out of 90% of the top talent in Iowa ever year.

NDSU has had success lately. A senior laden team who's had solid coaching for their entire careers has a chance to beat a more physically talented team who is not focused, has inexperienced young players, or has issues with their coaching staff **cough Messingham cough**. Day in, day out in a conference like the Big 12? NDSU would be crushed on a regular basis. They might be able to compete with MAC teams but I still think that's a stretch.

What is the deal with 90%? it seems to be the preferred percentage for this thread. I agree that the OP is 90% wrong. As TCU showed us, getting up for a couple of big games a year is a different animal than trying to compete in a power conference with a 9 game schedule.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron