Hulu/Amazon Prime/Netflix

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I got a chromecast about a year ago, got a Roku Stick with my new TV. Got a free Month of Netflix with my chromecast, but I didn't use it much, got a free month of amazon prime with my Roku Stick, but again, didn't use it much. I watch very little TV during the week, it's rarely turned on on my behalf during the week, and on the weekend, I watch maybe a few hours. I haven't gotten rid of cable because of live sports, but I'm at the point where I spend $1200 a year for cable, and I get way less out of it than that.

Problem is that when I have used Amazon or Netflix (and looking at Hulu's website), I spend way too long finding something to watch, and I don't see enough of what interests me to last very long. I don't watch movies, I don't watch fiction shows, most of the time I'm watching Discovery/History/Cooking/Travel/Velocity, etc. channels.

For those who are more knowledgeable about those 3, am I just missing them, or are there very limited options on those type of shows?

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Have you tried searching by channels or genre? Just a quick look there were quite a few reality TV shows from the History channel and some from A&E. Prime also carries HBO content so there are documentaries on there. I don't watch a lot of prime time tv but do watch a lot of the series on HBO.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Have you tried searching by channels or genre? Just a quick look there were quite a few reality TV shows from the History channel and some from A&E. Prime also carries HBO content so there are documentaries on there. I don't watch a lot of prime time tv but do watch a lot of the series on HBO.

Assuming you mean prime, there? I guess I need to look deeper, I thought I saw more on Netflix than on prime.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Assuming you mean prime, there? I guess I need to look deeper, I thought I saw more on Netflix than on prime.

Yes, on Prime. Not a whole lot of diversity, but there are some shows (American Pickers, Pawn Stars, American Restoration, etc) And it is usually the earlier seasons on Prime, sometimes the later seasons aren't Prime yet. I've never had Netflix to compare, so it could be a very small selection on Prime.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Does that work well with Chromecast?

I'm also curious about this. Also about how Chromecast works with firstrowsports. I'll be without cable or satellite (and with a Chromecast) for the next football season.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We have Netflix, Hulu and Prime. We rarely watch prime (have it for the shipping) and it varies how much we watch the other two. If it were not for sports I would probably be a cable cutter (or at least a basic package).

This leads me to my next question. How is the NFL on first row? Does the league put much effort into stopping it?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
We have Netflix, Hulu and Prime. We rarely watch prime (have it for the shipping) and it varies how much we watch the other two. If it were not for sports I would probably be a cable cutter (or at least a basic package).

This leads me to my next question. How is the NFL on first row? Does the league put much effort into stopping it?

I haven't really had any problem finding any game for any sport on Firstrow. Quality is rarely good though. And make sure you have an antivirus and a pop up blocker.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The fact that Hulu Plus still makes you watch commercials infuriates me enough to never sign up for it.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
I got rid of cable about 6 months ago, and have subscription to Netflix and Prime, and an HD antenna (Mohu Leaf). I've watched about two shows in the last few months on Netflix and Prime. I do get a lot of use out of the HD antenna though.

With a PC and HDMI cable hooked up to my tv, I can watch pretty much anything made in the the past 15 years on Solarmovie, Watchseries, and firstrowsports. I'd assume you can do this through Chromecast too, but I don't know enough about that to tell you. As stated in this thread, you do need to have antivirus, and Adblocker enabled though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron