Friday OT - Your Embarrassing Stories

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Let's hear some stories where you embarrassed yourself (or someone else embarrassed you) in front of others. Did you fart in front of someone you were trying to date? Did your child do something or say something to embarrass you?

I took a motorcycle safety course at DMACC with a friend just for fun. I knew I'd never actually drive a motorcycle by myself anywhere else, as I'm only a little over 5' and have no business riding a motorcycle. Anyway - it was a two-day course, and I was actually doing pretty well the first day, while my friend was frustrated that she was struggling. I was trying to make her feel better, which may have seemed crappy since I hadn't had any problems. By the end of Day 2, I was clearly out of my element. I didn't mind not passing the course, as I didn't need the license - but they had this whole ceremony thing with the whole class where they passed out the certifications, and I was the only one who didn't get one. It was embarrassing to have the whole room and the teachers looking at me with pity.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Come on, someone needs to be willing to embarrass themselves besides me!

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I took a girl to my cousin's wedding when I was in college. My aunts wanted me to introduce her to them. I couldn't remember one of my aunt's name. I'm not talking for a few seconds -- I could NOT remember her name. Finally another aunt said it for me.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I took a girl to my cousin's wedding when I was in college. My aunts wanted me to introduce her to them. I couldn't remember one of my aunt's name. I'm not talking for a few seconds -- I could NOT remember her name. Finally another aunt said it for me.

I recognize faces from a dozen years ago, but I am just terrible with names. They are stored in some part of my brain that I apparently can't access until 20 minutes after I'm done seeing the person. :skeptical:

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I once wasn't the perfect human being. That was embarrassing. Good thing those days are past me.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
One other one. I was on a rock climbing trip with my friends and one of them had access to a cabin, which was where we spent the night. We were all drinking beer and watching this AWESOME movie (Sands of the Kalahari) and I had to pee. So I stepped outside and went over the porch rail. Little did I know that it in fact was NOT going over the rail. It was hitting the rail and splashing back on me. Luckily it was basically water, so no smell. But my buddies got a good laugh out of it.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
My calf laid down in the ring at the Linn Co Fair when I was 12. Wouldn't get up and my dad jumped the fence to help. Thanks Angie!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I was playing HS baseball in Boone once and hit one deep to left field, but it was right into the sun. I couldn't see it well, but it looked to me like the left fielder went back, but didn't make an effort to catch it. I actually thought the ump made the HR signal too. I was trotting around 2nd base before the shortstop informed me that I was out.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I was talking to my German professors and our very cute language assistant at lunch one time during my freshman year about where I was planning on living next semester, and at that point in time I was thinking of maybe trying to get a program house where you live there and then do work in the community with some friends (who were girls). I had taken German since high school, and had always been told that the word for girl friend and the word for friend who's a girl were the same and the only way to tell is by context. That's not quite true. What I thought I was telling them was I was hopefully getting a house with some friends, what I was actually telling them was I was hopefully going to get a house for me and my harem. They started laughing and told me that was not what I meant to say. It wasn't a big deal and I'm glad I learned the difference, but it was really embarrassing at the time.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I was really young when this happened but it still stands out. I was at a summer camp and each morning we'd assemble and they would parade the flag past everyone and stop in the middle as we recited The Pledge of Allegiance. We were supposed to be quiet, somber and respectful as the flag passed but one day me and my friend Mike decided to stand at attention and salute. Boy, did we think we were funny. We tried our best to contain it while everyone else was being quiet but pretty soon the snort laughs started coming out and eventually my face exploded -- I kid you not -- about a gallon of snot all over myself.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I was really young when this happened but it still stands out. I was at a summer camp and each morning we'd assemble and they would parade the flag past everyone and stop in the middle as we recited The Pledge of Allegiance. We were supposed to be quiet, somber and respectful as the flag passed but one day me and my friend Mike decided to stand at attention and salute. Boy, did we think we were funny. We tried our best to contain it while everyone else was being quiet but pretty soon the snort laughs started coming out and eventually my face exploded -- I kid you not -- about a gallon of snot all over myself.

That is so gross! I have to think snot would be the worst body byproduct to have a bunch of people see, other than poop. I've puked on myself a few times in public, which was totally embarrassing, but I think I'd prefer that to snot.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Also, I peed all over myself in an airplane once. I'm tall and have trouble fitting into the front bathroom in some airplanes, so I was peeing all hunched over and leaning against the door when the plane hit some turbulence. That was not a fun flight.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Im usually quiet and dont put myself out there so its worked out that I havent really embarrass myself too much.

I did hit reply all with a smart *** comment at my last job. It was mild but the person I intended it to go to usually gets much worse from me so it could have been really bad. I even preach about the stupidity of hitting reply all, I think that made it worse. Everyone there got a good laugh though.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Im usually quiet and dont put myself out there so its worked out that I havent really embarrass myself too much.

I did hit reply all with a smart *** comment at my last job. It was mild but the person I intended it to go to usually gets much worse from me so it could have been really bad. I even preach about the stupidity of hitting reply all, I think that made it worse. Everyone there got a good laugh though.

Hahaha, I'm dreading that day when I accidentally hit reply all. I put a 60 second delay on my emails, and that's one of the reasons.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Played high school softball back in the metal cleats days. Slid into home, throw was high, catcher jumped, stomped on me when she came down. Cleats caught in my jersey, which ripped open when she jerked her leg away. Rip was on the side, fortunately not the front, but still embarrassing when home plate ump is staring down at you. Just rolled over in the dirt until someone brought me a jacket. Still have a slight scar. And yes, I was safe at least.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
That is so gross! I have to think snot would be the worst body byproduct to have a bunch of people see, other than poop. I've puked on myself a few times in public, which was totally embarrassing, but I think I'd prefer that to snot.
Yeah it was pretty bad. I don't get embarrassed too easily so I tried to laugh it off. They just hosed me down fully clothed and I was good to go.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I am notorious for messaging the wrong person in an online chat like on FB or Yahoo. At one company, they had us all use Yahoo Chat for instant messaging to cut down from basic emails. I became friends with a girl, Jenny. My supervisor at the time was also name Jenny but different person. However in the list of people online, they appear next to each other. So I click on my friend Jenny's name ( or so I thought) and send a message saying 'Hey, we still going to happy hour after work, *****?' to which my supervisor said 'umm I am busy tonight but thanks for asking'. I was mortified.

ken

Dec 28, 2008
4th grade little league game, jacked my coach in the groin with a full swing in the dugout, where I of course shouldn't have been swinging a bat. Never heard a man yell so loud in my life...

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
4th grade little league game, jacked my coach in the groin with a full swing in the dugout, where I of course shouldn't have been swinging a bat. Never heard a man yell so loud in my life...
cup check.