Rhoads was Big 12's lowest paid coach last season

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
I think he needs to get paid. I love what he's done hear and I don't want to loose him. I'm afraid we're a breakout year away from loosing him to a bigger name school. No, we didn't win much last year, but he has enthusiasm at an all-time high and attendance was amazing, considering our W/L last year. A bump in salary will show recruits that we're committed to winning here and committed to CPR!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
How many other coaches are guaranteed $20 mil? Pollard's stance has been length of contract over $$$/year (which I like).

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I think he needs to get paid. I love what he's done hear and I don't want to loose him. I'm afraid we're a breakout year away from loosing him to a bigger name school. No, we didn't win much last year, but he has enthusiasm at an all-time high and attendance was amazing, considering our W/L last year. A bump in salary will show recruits that we're committed to winning here and committed to CPR!

I don't. I expect Rhoads to be out the door after the 2015-2016 season if ISU doesn't show progress that season.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I think he needs to get paid. I love what he's done here and I don't want to lose him. I'm afraid we're a breakout year away from losing him to a bigger name school. No, we didn't win much last year, but he has enthusiasm at an all-time high and attendance was amazing, considering our W/L last year. A bump in salary will show recruits that we're committed to winning here and committed to CPR!

I'm sorry, but you're under arrest for abusing the English language. I couldn't let this one go. :policeman:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
First, how can a head coach truly be worth more than his entire staff? I know he has unique value, but not that much. Second, how can a coach look players in the eye when he is making that kind of money and they are getting a scholarship + expenses?

I don't blame a coach for getting whatever he can. And I'm all for an open market. And I know that lots of coaches give lots back to the team and community. However, it is just silly for them to be paid this much. And the momentum just never seems to stop.

I think most coaches are driven more by the desire to win. Escalating salaries may make it harder to win because you have to produce immediate results rather than building for long-term success.

Perhaps having a salary cap for coaches would help raise salaries for staff (and let them stay in one place rather than moving every few years) and keep the head coach salaries from continuing to escalate.

A coach would probably be hated by his peers if he said "enough is enough" and it is hard to imagine a coach saying it. However, we have two down-to-earth coaches here who might be the ones to help slow down the craziness.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Here is the worst one of all.

The Hawkeyes' NCAA bid vaults McCaffery into a $300,000 pay raise for the 2014-15 season. According to details of a contract extension finalized in July 2012, McCaffery had two levels of payment depending on his team's NCAA status. Once the Hawkeyes qualified for the NCAA, McCaffery moved up to a higher level.
McCaffery received $1.5 million in base salary and outside income this year. Next year, he's slated to make $1.8 million. Had Iowa missed the NCAA field, he would have made $1.6 million in 2014-15.
McCaffery also picks up a $25,000 bonus for the NCAA bid.

http://thegazette.com/2014/03/16/iowa-ncaa-notes-mccaffery-raise-tv-teams/

$300,000 for not really even making the tournament. How does he look his players in the eyes?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Pretty simple. Want more money, Paul? Win more games. And as far as other schools luring him away... it won't happen with the coaching record he has so far.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

If he has a breakout year he'll make more. Just like Hoiberg. But the fact is he's making money in line with the wins he is getting, plus he has pretty damn good job security given his contract goes out to like... 2021, so if by some chance we make a change in direction he'll be well compensated for that.

LesGoCY

Feb 7, 2014
Yeah . . . that Baylor assistants number doesn't jive with me. :laugh:

Art Briles' WIKI page shows his salary is $4.2MM which seems high. Either way, I'd be up for a swap with Baylor. Briles has engineered a true transformation. Why couldn't ISU find a Briles type. Jermey Pruitt, Chad Morris, Bob Diaco prior to putting such a lengthy contract...now stuck with it...for sure don't consider a raise until he produces Briles' type production.