Defensive 3 deep...some surprising strengths.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
We all know that DT is a major concern, though having a young and talented Nose like Devlyn Cousin is not the worst place to start in rebuilding that area. Further, in a recent interview Ayeni mentioned that he was up to 275 and striving to add more weight, so I believe he will be the guy to move inside next to Cousin. That position is far from solid, given the inexperience of both players and their backups...but it is wrong to assume there is not potential there. Aka, Trent, and Garcia have all been mentioned as possessing good raw ability and its quite possible some of that ability will start to convert to actual productivity on the field this season.

Back to some surprising strengths for this team.

Defensive End may wind up as the strongest position on the team, and Pierson, Morrissey, Meyers and Luna are going to be an aggressive and very capable four players...at a minimum. Morrissey is likely a 2nd team to Honorable mention all conference guy, but its Pierson that is likely to be the star of this position. Yes, this is speculative, but his pass rushing skills seem...based on his film and juco stats...to be exemplary. If he comes through as it seems he's likely to do, and puts Meyers in a backup role...well that's VERY good position group with nice depth.

LB is evolving into a strength as well, though they may be hampered a bit by mediocre DT play during the season. Nonetheless, Brackens has looked fast and capable, Knott looked quite good when healthy last season and is likely to be a bit bigger/stronger/faster this year. Meeks, Mills and Peters all are young and talented guys who will make mistakes, but possess the ability to have a positive impact on games. Miller is Miller, and that means he's a guy who looked much better as the season progressed and should give solid minutes...I expect he starts early and shows continued improvement OR will be bypassed by some of these solid young backups. Jordan Harris is the guy that can take this group up a notch IF he starts "getting it" in terms of learning curve with D1 football...he seems to have the ability to be a Jeremiah George, though it may take some time for him to catch up to the speed of the game. By midseason, its reasonable to expect him to be very good.

The DB's also seem to be "ahead of schedule", and Mutcherson and Tribune appear to have the kind of talent to grow into all league type players...perhaps not this year, but their ability on the field will show through. Lynn looked solid in the spring and Sam Richardson is very capable, especially as a tackler in run support. Depth is a huge problem in the secondary and there's no ignoring that fact, we need some young guys to step up early and we need good health at all four positions...so DB play in the starting four looks solid but we need a bit of good luck here to avoid injuries.

Overall, the defense with all its new additions and Juco dependence will struggle early...and will likely focus on using speed and big plays to overcome an inherent weakness in the DT position (a weakness that may not be as big an issue as many believe IMHO). The talent level, however, is actually better than last season...but some guys are going to have to grow up fast in the middle of the defense. The key to success will, as always, rest with the offenses ability to increase its scoring output and possession time. Improvements there, alone, will give this young defense the opportunity to grow and develop...which is really all it needs.

FYI, I may be off on some of the LB positioning...it gets confusing as to who is practicing at which position. In the end, I expect Wally will put the most talented 3 guys on the field together.

DT
Devlyn Cousin
So
6'1
Vernell Trent
So
6'3
OR
Robbie Garcia
Fr
6'3
DT
Terry Ayeni
Jr
6'4
OR
Pierre Aka
So
6'3
Ma'Kayle Phillip
Fr
6'3
6'2.5
6'3
6'3
DE
Dal Pierson
Jr
6'4
OR
Mitchell Meyers
Jr
6'4
Trent Taylor
Jr
6'3
DE
Corey Morrissey
Sr
6'4
Gabe Luna
Jr
6'1
Darius White
So
6'1
6'4
6'2.5
6'2
LB
Jordan Harris
Jr
5'11
OR
Jevohn Miller
Sr
6'2
Kane Seeley
So
6'1
LB
Jared Brackens
Sr
6'1
Alton Meeks
Fr
6'2
LB
Luke Knott
So
6'0
Brian Mills
Fr
5'10
OR
Levi Peters
So
5'10
6'0.5
6'1
6'0
CB
Nigel Tribune
So
5'10
Matt Thomas
Sr
5'10
Brian Peavy
Fr
5'9
CB
Kenneth Lynn
Sr
5'10
Sam Richardson
Sr
5'8
Victor Holmes
Fr
5'11
S
TJ Mutcherson
So
5'11
Kamari Syrie
Fr
5'9
Darion Cotton
Sr
5'11
S
Qujuan Floyd
Jr
6'0
Kam Cot-Moya
Fr
6'0
Devron Moore??
Jr
5'11
5'10.5
5'10
5'10.5
NB
Drake Ferch
Sr
5'11
Darion Cotton
Sr
5'11

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
In my opinion our defensive line will be so bad. Our defensive backs are going to look terrible because we cant put any pressure on the quarterback. Just my opinion.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
In my opinion our defensive line will be so bad. Our defensive backs are going to look terrible because we cant put any pressure on the quarterback. Just my opinion.

I think Pierson and Morrisey...and to some extent Meyer, are going to provide much better pass rush than we've had in the past. We showed some nice team speed in the spring and the LB's and and blitzing DB's were able to add to the pressure on the QB's. Given that we have a pretty darn good OL, that's a very good sign. I think where the defense will struggle is against the run...pass rush is the one area where we can expect solid improvement over last season IMHO.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Kane Seeley is a SO. Had to look it up as I was very confused why a SR wasn't in at least the top 2 of the depth chart.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I think Pierson and Morrisey...and to some extent Meyer, are going to provide much better pass rush than we've had in the past. We showed some nice team speed in the spring and the LB's and and blitzing DB's were able to add to the pressure on the QB's. Given that we have a pretty darn good OL, that's a very good sign. I think where the defense will struggle is against the run...pass rush is the one area where we can expect solid improvement over last season IMHO.

I would challenge your your assertion that we "have a pretty darn good OL".

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. Guys not getting hurt will be critical. I would look for Wally to be much more aggressive on defense this year. They need to take some chances to limit the ridiculous number of snaps that the defense has taken in the last few years.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Spring ball is against our guys. We will see how fast they are when they are going against big 12 elite guys

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I still don't think the DL is that bad off at all. DE will defiantly be fine. We have probably the most talented NG Wally has had yet, he just isn't experienced. Having Irving and/or Coe at DT would have made the DL our strength, but we've still got some Jucos coming in at it will still be solid at least.

Not every team has every position as a "strength" 3 of our 4 DL should be pretty good.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
If we can get a Juco NG soon, I will feel a lot better. Could rotate the Juco with Cousin at the Nose and possibly move Trent as a dual backup DT with Aka. If Cousin goes down, we are toast. If we get another true NG, that isn't a dropoff from Cousin, or possibly better, we should be ok. I agree, our DE's will be the best unit as a whole in the CPR era.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
I still don't think the DL is that bad off at all. DE will defiantly be fine. We have probably the most talented NG Wally has had yet, he just isn't experienced. Having Irving and/or Coe at DT would have made the DL our strength, but we've still got some Jucos coming in at it will still be solid at least.

Not every team has every position as a "strength" 3 of our 4 DL should be pretty good.

What does "pretty good" mean? Better then what other teams DL in the Big12? Im not making an opinion either way, but want a better definition of what "good depth" "not as bad as we think" and "pretty good" means. Like we can beat ND to open the season and lose the rest? Like we can beat Iowa on the road and go on to win 7 games? Or we can maybe eek out 3 games again?

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
What does "pretty good" mean? Better then what other teams DL in the Big12? Im not making an opinion either way, but want a better definition of what "good depth" "not as bad as we think" and "pretty good" means. Like we can beat ND to open the season and lose the rest? Like we can beat Iowa on the road and go on to win 7 games? Or we can maybe eek out 3 games again?

Good question. I would define it by how it relates to past ISU units under Coach Rhoads and their performance.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Sometimes I just don't get the eternal optimism of some people about our football team, God bless you, but I don't get it. The defense, which wasn't good, lost 7 of 11 starters from last year Jensen, Irving, Scott, George, Watson, Washington, and Broomfield along with some key contributors in Coe and Rogers. The guys that are going to be starting this year could not beat them out last year, there is a VERY small chance they will be better than the guys that started last year! 90% (guesstimate) of the time this happens, with the off season work they will be, AT MOST, as good as the guy they replaced, rarely are they better. The coaches know this, they went out and signed six juco players for defense, the cupboard is thin. Maybe by mid-season will those jucos bear fruit.

'All's I'm sayin' is lower your expectations a little (a lot) so you can enjoy the season on defense for what it will be, a rebuild.

Edit: By the way, I hope I'm completely WRONG!

Last edited:

AWOL2000

Feb 13, 2008
Lawry Crossing, TX
Agree with clonedogg but one thing to note is by all accounts that I have seen and heard the attitude within the players is better this year. It's amazing what a difference that can make. Doesn't mean that it will but if all things are equal as could be possible just a better attitude may make them better as a unit.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Some key questions for the D:

1. Will they recruit any late JUCO DLs?
2. Is Taiese set to play OL, or can he be a NG?
3. What kind of weight do Cousins, Aka, Trent, Garcia put on during the summer?
4. What position does Trent Taylor play? Pretty sure he was listed at 280 at TN, but 250 at JUCO. If he can get back to 280, that would help.
5. When does the light go on for Harris?
6. Does Moore come back? Seems like he's missed a lot of class at this point.

I think that we're going to see some TRFR playing at DB.

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
Being optimistic about your team is what's great about sports, you always think you are going to be better next year. This team was bad last year and chances are it won't be a lot better this year. But there is always hope, and that's what we as fans cling to every year.

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
Agree with clonedogg but one thing to note is by all accounts that I have seen and heard the attitude within the players is better this year. It's amazing what a difference that can make. Doesn't mean that it will but if all things are equal as could be possible just a better attitude may make them better as a unit.

It's amazing how much attitude changed once a certain someone was fired.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Sometimes I just don't get the eternal optimism of some people about our football team, God bless you, but I don't get it. The defense, which wasn't good, lost 7 of 11 starters from last year Jensen, Irving, Scott, George, Watson, Washington, and Broomfield along with some key contributors in Coe and Rogers. The guys that are going to be starting this year could not beat them out last year, there is a VERY small chance they will be better than the guys that started last year! 90% (guesstimate) of the time this happens, with the off season work they will be, AT MOST, as good as the guy they replaced, rarely are they better. The coaches know this, they went out and signed six juco players for defense, the cupboard is thin. Maybe by mid-season will those jucos bear fruit.

'All's I'm sayin' is lower your expectations a little (a lot) so you can enjoy the season on defense for what it will be, a rebuild.

Edit: By the way, I hope I'm completely WRONG!

Back away from the cliff Clonedogg:) Regarding the seniors that you mentioned that I highlighted, that's how it works. I mean those guys paid their dues then got to play as seniors, so saying that youngsters who were 2 classes behind them are not talented, I don't buy. They usually are not developed or understand Wally's scheme well enough yet (because they haven't had the reps). You don't want young guys beating out older ones, so I don't make much of their replacements not being as talented. Time will tell. Losing Jensen & Coe hurts the worst IMO because of their size. Irving never really impressed me much, and I do question the effort of both of them as it turns out, and so did CPR.

So we have huge gaps to fill at MLB, DT, need to find 2 solid guys at S, and need a backup NG. Those pieces are key. We can afford to get depth at CB from true freshmen as we have had to do that in the past. I do agree with you on one front, that we are unproven and inexperienced. Talented? We will find out. Best guess is that defense will be get run over if Wally does not get imaginative, but I think you'll see us bring pressure a LOT more to take the stress off our DL and try to get off the field. Instead of bend but don't break, I think you will see a defensive mentality that is "Boom or Bust." Some games that will help us, others we will get burned by it.

And further, I think the guys that were bolded, were very good players who had an offense that kept them on the field twice as long as they should have.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Knott looked quite good when healthy last season and is likely to be a bit bigger/stronger/faster this year.
I might have a quibble with this statement, considering that following what appears to be substantial hip surgery, I'm guessing he will have been limited in just how much stress he can put on his whole body--and thus working out. '15, yes, but I'm not counting on him being "bigger, stronger, faster" this year.

I don't get the bolded statement. I keep seeing people say things like that, but that's the nature of college football. That new players replace guys that they "couldn't beat out" (mostly, were simply younger and more inexperienced than), and often are better.

One question I'd have for CW is whether CPR and Co actually have any schollie slots left to add another late player. I'd kinda think that if they did, they'd already have gotten back in touch with Malou, who isn't a nose tackle, but with Irving gone, too, something is better than nothing.

Help Support Us

Become a patron