"Bad Fans"

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
Hoiberg just called you out in his press conference. You know who you are. Players and coaches read your garbage. Maybe it's time to change your ways.

yez

Feb 17, 2010
Austin, Texas
Hoiberg just called you out in his press conference. You know who you are. Players and coaches read your garbage. Maybe it's time to change your ways.

Maybe it's time they play better. I was at the game on Saturday - all they did was pout when it didn't go their way.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Fred is right that players who are slumping should just turn it off. Anyone can say anything, and they often do. But the motivation for ending a slump isn't going to be found on a message board or twitter. They have to claw out of it themselves. And dwelling on "bad fans" that every fan base has, doesn't help.

The flip side of it is to not also buy into your own press when everybody is telling you how great you are!

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
Most of what is posted is pretty legit analysis. Most of it is critique of what people see. If the coaches and players are offended by it: A. Play better or B: Don't read it.

It's a forum board where everything is someone's opinion. We all know about those. They are like *******. Everyone has them and they always stink.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Oh joy, I can't wait to see this.

It's going to be fun.

But I wish people would remember that these players read this stuff and it is a lot harder to ignore than you would think. How many of us think to ourselves that we should ignore the posters that irritate us, but yet keep reading their stuff? Same thing with a 20 year old college kid.

If everyone thinks before they post and ask themselves if they would want their kid reading it, it would be better. It doesn't mean that you can't say Iowa State played bad. Or they are struggling. Or hell even say that Matt is struggling. But it should mean that you should realize that EVERY player is trying their best and that a slump does not mean that the player will forever suck.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

How about Hoiberg and players stop reading message boards? ?????? They should be spending their time in the classroom, and in practice. Mental toughness. Worry more about that than what a bunch of dorks think on a message board. Disappointed Fred would bring that up.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How about Hoiberg and players stop reading message boards? ?????? They should be spending their time in the classroom, and in practice. Mental toughness. Worry more about that than what a bunch of dorks think on a message board. Disappointed Fred would bring that up.

Oh for god's sake. They are kids. Staying away from twitter is hard for a college kid to do. I find it disappointing that fans think that they can just avoid social media stuff. And I find it disturbing that fans think that it is OK to tweet crap to an individual player bashing them. That's bush league and childish. Maybe the FANS need to stay off of twitter and message boards as well.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB

Cant this be said for you to? Unless your a mod, or your job pays you to be on Fanatic just STFU and GTFO!! Players/Coaches have just as much reason to be on social media and message boards as the losers who call them out!!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What did Fred say? I want an actual quote before saying anything.

What the hell does it matter. He said he told Matt to stay off of twitter since some fans were tweeting bad things to him.

Good advice from Fred and it should be pointed out that people aren't telling ADULT fans to stop bashing players via twitter, but are telling college kids to ignore it when they do.

Pretty damn stupid, if you ask me.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Paraphrase of it: The question was in the context of dealing with slumps as players, specifically Matt Thomas. Fred said he told Matt to turn it off because bad fans and fans that aren't even fans of ISU use it to get under their skin.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames

I love these types of lines. Dude, these guys are normal human beings. They aren't robots designed for our pleasure as fans. They work their ***** off. That's the only way you get to that level.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
What the hell does it matter. He said he told Matt to stay off of twitter since some fans were tweeting bad things to him.

Good advice from Fred and it should be pointed out that people aren't telling ADULT fans to stop bashing players via twitter, but are telling college kids to ignore it when they do.

Pretty damn stupid, if you ask me.

Are we sure they are ISU fans? If they are they are ****ing idiots.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Paraphrase of it: The question was in the context of dealing with slumps as players, specifically Matt Thomas. Fred said he told Matt to turn it off because bad fans and fans that aren't even fans of ISU use it to get under their skin.

Then it's a smart thing to say. Thanks for the context.

Talking here is one thing. Tweeting it to the player is too much.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think there's a difference between "bad fans" seeking out players to harass them via twitter or whatever and people who come here and are vocally disappointed with team or player performance.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
You probably should not take comments from people who probably never have competed in sports at a high level too seriously.

If anything they should laugh at it, and make a top 10 list's of the most outlandish comments or something and have fun with it.

I can only imagine what kids are going through at UNC, Kentucky and other places probably 10 times as worse.

Some fans are stupid, really stupid, and if you play sports you have to deal with it. I have seen 12 year old's get called out on the baseball field, fortunately the majority usually shuts up the minority in those situations one way or another.

Last edited: