Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

norseclone

Apr 11, 2006
Superior Township, MI
I know, I'm a bit early, but I'm going to the Kent State game, so I don't have to worry about that one. I've been trying to get tickets to the game through various channels, but I very much doubt I'm going to be successful. I've only been in Iowa City since the end of February, so I haven't had to try and find a place to watch an Iowa State game of any kind as of yet. So, anyway, I know I'm not the only Cyclone stuck in Iowa City. Where can I find a decent atmosphere (read: somewhere where I won't have to deal with drunken, obnoxious morons) to watch the game (assuming such a place exists)?

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
So, anyway, I know I'm not the only Cyclone stuck in Iowa City. Where can I find a decent atmosphere (read: somewhere where I won't have to deal with drunken, obnoxious morons) to watch the game (assuming such a place exists)?

Your in IC that is everywhere!

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I know, I'm a bit early, but I'm going to the Kent State game, so I don't have to worry about that one. I've been trying to get tickets to the game through various channels, but I very much doubt I'm going to be successful. I've only been in Iowa City since the end of February, so I haven't had to try and find a place to watch an Iowa State game of any kind as of yet. So, anyway, I know I'm not the only Cyclone stuck in Iowa City. Where can I find a decent atmosphere (read: somewhere where I won't have to deal with drunken, obnoxious morons) to watch the game (assuming such a place exists)?

From my personal experience, I'd avoid the bars. Just straight up annoying. I'd meet up with some Cyclone fans in a tailgating lot with a dish to watch the game.

Otherwise, I'd just invite some people over to my place (if you know people) and watch it on TV....

It takes a lot of energy to put up with the Hawks fans, even if you aren't looking to start anything. If you aren't going to be with a group of people you know, it's probably better if you don't go out until after the game (if ISU wins)

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
From my personal experience, I'd avoid the bars. Just straight up annoying. I'd meet up with some Cyclone fans in a tailgating lot with a dish to watch the game.

Otherwise, I'd just invite some people over to my place (if you know people) and watch it on TV....

It takes a lot of energy to put up with the Hawks fans, even if you aren't looking to start anything. If you aren't going to be with a group of people you know, it's probably better if you don't go out until after the game (if ISU wins)
yep. theres no better place to watch the game than your place in iowa city

norseclone

Apr 11, 2006
Superior Township, MI
While I thank you for the advice, it's not particularly helpful to me. I don't know any Cyclone fans in Iowa City and I don't have cable. I just can't justify spending the money. So, basically, the bars are my option.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
While I thank you for the advice, it's not particularly helpful to me. I don't know any Cyclone fans in Iowa City and I don't have cable. I just can't justify spending the money. So, basically, the bars are my option.
Sorry I'm busy for the iowa game, but let me know if you want to go somewhere to watch a different game. I need an excuse to get away from the wife every now and again.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
I watched the Iowa- Texas game at Old Chicago...It's got a bar but not really a bar atmosphere so you could probably survive there. Plus they have good food.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
If you're gonna watch it at a bar in Iowa City, head to The Deadwood. It's smack in the middle of downtown, on Dubuque Street. The owners are ISU alums and Cyclone fans, and are known to sometimes be generous to their Cyclone guests during the Iowa game...

I took this from the other ISU/Iowa thread for you.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
you could try the new BWW in Coralville if you want.
There is also a brand new bar out by the Oakdale campus that I know has DirecTV. The place just opened up a week ago and doesn't even have a sign out yet, so I don't know the name. I doubt many people are even going to know about it by the 13th. If you want more details, send me a message.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
I'm going to be in Iowa City that weekend for the game, but don't have tickets. But will be there to tailgate and will need a place to watch the game, either a bar/restaurant/or someone's tailgate on here that will have dish set up? :notworthy:

Any ideas?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
As I mentioned in another thread (thanks, JHudd!), go to The Deadwood. It's on Dubuque Street downtown, it's owned by a couple of Cyclones, and it'll be open. It's far enough away that stadium traffic won't be a problem, but close enough to the action that you can still stay parked and run around and extoll the glories of the Cyclones when we win.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
As I mentioned in another thread (thanks, JHudd!), go to The Deadwood. It's on Dubuque Street downtown, it's owned by a couple of Cyclones, and it'll be open. It's far enough away that stadium traffic won't be a problem, but close enough to the action that you can still stay parked and run around and extoll the glories of the Cyclones when we win.
And now you don't have to worry about the notorious Deadwood smoke. Not to get off topic, but I wonder if that has helped or hindered Deadwood's business?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Thanks for all of the advice, I'm planning on being in IC for the game, but don't have tickets either. We will try to make it to The Deadwood for a game watch!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Where can I find a decent atmosphere (read: somewhere where I won't have to deal with drunken, obnoxious morons) to watch the game (assuming such a place exists)?

Let's see. You live in Iowa City now? That's a tough one. Try Welch Avenue Station. :wink:

norseclone

Apr 11, 2006
Superior Township, MI
There was a thread asking for Cyclone game watch(es) on the Hawkeye Report Off Topic board. I mentioned that I would likely be at Deadwood. I got this response:

"Deadwood is a 'theater arts' bar. Very similar to the mill. i imagine the game will be on one of the TV's, but its not really game watching atmosphere. You'll probably feel very out of place there in youre Cyclone gear.

...just saying."

So to the person(s) who recommended it. Anything to say about this warning?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron