Boy, this newspaper....

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Nice read. Think of how much more money the athletic department would have if we could put another 20,000 in the stadium...

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
Glad gas prices didn't keep us away? Why was the that part of the story line? Gas prices cheaper in eastern iowa or do all hawk fans live within 50 feet of the stadium?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Well, if the jail is fairly close to the stadium, it's probably true that gas prices weren't as much of a factor for their fans, player, etc.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
the rag is a joke... one funny quote from the article about the hawks vs maine: "Worried about the hawkeye ground game? dont be." lol... they ran for 200+ on a team that the d-line was outweighed by and average of about 50lbs... lets wait before we make the assumption that they are going to have a great ground game

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Why didn't they yap about how the gas prices apparently didn't keep the Squawk fans away?

Almost as good as when the Rag proclaimed ISU as having a QB Controversy and then stated that Iowa has "options" at QB.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
Why didn't they yap about how the gas prices apparently didn't keep the Squawk fans away?

Almost as good as when the Rag proclaimed ISU as having a QB Controversy and then stated that Iowa has "options" at QB.

A couple of things come to mind.

1. Don't you lose your license with a DUI?
2. Most of the drunks I've heard of in IC are RUNNING from the cops, not driving away.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Glad gas prices didn't keep us away? Why was the that part of the story line? Gas prices cheaper in eastern iowa or do all hawk fans live within 50 feet of the stadium?

Gas prices in Cedar Rapids are considerabling more expensive than in Des Moines. Ames was more than CR. I never have understood how they can be so different every town you go to.

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
Maybe it is just me but I felt that article actually praised the Cyclones. Usually the Rag does try to give backhanded compliments and is obviously in love with the Hawkeyes, but I read this article as "hey, even though they weren't that good last year, they don't play a lot of marque teams, and gas prices are high, Iowa State still packs the house" which is a nice compliment. I actually like this article (unlike most the poopy that the Rag throws out there).:shocked:

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
Maybe this is posted somewhere else and maybe I completely mis-understood Keith last night on soundoff but didn't he completely rip on the reg in his "I think" segment for the article that they wrote on the attorney's that are representing the iowa players in the rape case? Like I said, I may be completely wrong but did anyone else catch that?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Maybe this is posted somewhere else and maybe I completely mis-understood Keith last night on soundoff but didn't he completely rip on the reg in his "I think" segment for the article that they wrote on the attorney's that are representing the iowa players in the rape case? Like I said, I may be completely wrong but did anyone else catch that?

It was actually completely the opposite. He was praising them for their investigation and exposure of the issue.

You can watch it here:

http://www.whotv13.com/Global/category.asp?C=5536&nav=menu100_4

Last edited:

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Well, if the jail is fairly close to the stadium, it's probably true that gas prices weren't as much of a factor for their fans, player, etc.

Well, Jeremy, since the Oakdale Iowa Prison System Classification and Medical facility is right down the road, that could be a good deal for the Hawks.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
So I did something rather foolish this morning and flipped on Cotlar for a bit on the way in this morning - it was just before 8am.

He was doing this strange question thing regarding gas prices and if it would affect people regarding buying tickets and going to games. Jeff Khan (sp?) was telling him it had no effect as Iowa still had a sellout, Cotlar was arguing he wasn't talking about ticket sales - but individuals that may not have bought. Khan said it didn't matter, again because of the sellout.

This went back and forth for a while, reminded me of a dumbed-down "Who's on first" skit.

Had to go back to Mike and Mike...

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Cotlar did say that he wouldn't doubt if some company bought up a bunch of tickets to protect the streak, so it wasn't that bad...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron