CFTV: Tommy Mangino talks depth at WR

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
It tells you in the bottom left who he is talking about when he starts talking about them.

The Mangino's have the talent to do something special with this offense. That's a huge reason they took the gig. They'll have people nationally saying 'how did they turn around this team?' when people are watching an explosive ISU offense. That'll sure look good on a resume.

But I'm definitely glad they are the one's managing ISU's talent. It could make waiting on basketball season not as hard as it has been recently.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The Mangino's have the talent to do something special with this offense. That's a huge reason they took the gig. They'll have people nationally saying 'how did they turn around this team?' when people are watching an explosive ISU offense. That'll sure look good on a resume.

But I'm definitely glad they are the one's managing ISU's talent. It could make waiting on basketball season not as hard as it has been recently.

Now the key is, ISU's talent being more along the lines of what teams have that win games.

There's a bit of D1 skill there, but pretty much any time I watch anyone from the top half of the Big 12 play, and see things like their receivers, and how strong they are at simply getting open, I think, "ISU doesn't have that".

If nothing else, this will be an entertaining experiment for a couple of seasons.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Now the key is, ISU's talent being more along the lines of what teams have that win games.

There's a bit of D1 skill there, but pretty much any time I watch anyone from the top half of the Big 12 play, and see things like their receivers, and how strong they are at simply getting open, I think, "ISU doesn't have that".

If nothing else, this will be an entertaining experiment for a couple of seasons.

The problem is that there hasn't been a QB or Oline capable of getting them the ball the last couple years. Bundrage and West can get open.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA

We've had some decent talent but not the level of talent on offense we have this year and for the foreseeable future. These coaches will get more out of the talent and put player's in positions to play to their strengths.

We haven't had the talent we do at WR in years and years. Bundrage (6-2), D'vario (6-5), Lazard (6-5), Daley (6-2) and Jarvis, Ecby, and Wesley. And with Bibbs as a TE. That's a top tier receiving corps. If our QB can just consistently get these guys the ball good things will happen.

Our RB group is very strong too. If Wimberly and Nealy can stay healthy they are both explosive and can catch out of the backfield. Between Standard, Warren, and Syria there is a deep stable of guys who can make plays.

These position groups alone won't win games, but it should be fun to have the Mangenius himself run the show and work with all of these play makers.

Do the player's highlighted have just 'a bit of D1 skill'? I would call that an understatement.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
We've had some decent talent but not the level of talent on offense we have this year and for the foreseeable future. These coaches will get more out of the talent and put player's in positions to play to their strengths.

We haven't had the talent we do at WR in years and years. Bundrage (6-2), D'vario (6-5), Lazard (6-5), Daley (6-2) and Jarvis, Ecby, and Wesley. And with Bibbs as a TE. That's a top tier receiving corps. If our QB can just consistently get these guys the ball good things will happen.

Our RB group is very strong too. If Wimberly and Nealy can stay healthy they are both explosive and can catch out of the backfield. Between Standard, Warren, and Syria there is a deep stable of guys who can make plays.

These position groups alone won't win games, but it should be fun to have the Mangenius himself run the show and work with all of these play makers.

Do the player's highlighted have just 'a bit of D1 skill'? I would call that an understatement.

Those are 2 big ifs. In the Big XII you need a stable of RBs because there are going to be injuries. I would also say If our qb has time he will get it to our skills then good things will happen because we do have playmakers at these positions. A physical offensive line will do wonders for our offense, I believe.