Babb to Dallas if Celtics Don't Work Out?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
First off, my thread title is a bit of wishful thinking and a bit of a guess. However, it has been discussed that due to off season acquisitions it may be difficult for Babb to make the Celtics roster for this upcoming season. With that said, I think Dallas could be a POTENTIAL landing spot for Babb should Boston not pan out for him this year.

Dallas basically has two slots left on their roster. After they use their 2.7 million mid level exception on a player that can play both the 3 & 4 they will have one slot left. After that, Dallas has no cap money left and will have to pay the minimum salary regardless of who they sign for their final roster. The remaining spot must, according to need, go to a player that is a shooting guard with the ability to defend and possibly play the three as well. Babb fits this need from a cost perspective, his family is in Dallas (Dad owns BBQ place one half mile from American Airlines Arena), he has the defensive skills as well as the ability to shoot which Dallas needs for this role.

He is light on experience for this role, but I think would fit well with Rick Carlyle's coaching style and is a low pay, low risk addition that likely could bounce back and forth from the NBADL to the a Mavs roster for next season. I know this is pure speculation but it could be an ideal fit for him. Thoughts?

Last edited:

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
ZJohnson thinks OP is too optimistic and a moron.

Wut?
Look....just because ZJohnson does not appear to agree with you on most things, it does not have any bearing on what I just posted. Furthermore, I acknowledged this was wishful thinking on my behalf. What gives here?

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I would be ecstatic if Babb landed here. I have been to Babb Bro's BBQ many times and come away satisfied every time. That being said, I do think it is wishful thinking. Could they add a young guy like Chris? Absolutely, but the Mavericks seem to favor experience more than a lot of teams. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I won't be holding my breath. I'll be full of hope though.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
I would be ecstatic if Babb landed here. I have been to Babb Bro's BBQ many times and come away satisfied every time. That being said, I do think it is wishful thinking. Could they add a young guy like Chris? Absolutely, but the Mavericks seem to favor experience more than a lot of teams. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I won't be holding my breath. I'll be full of hope though.

Agreed. I think it is a long shot, but a plausible long shot nonetheless.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Agreed. I think it is a long shot, but a plausible long shot nonetheless.

Wasn't very happy last year when Boston came to town and Babb didn't get in. I get it, but still would have loved to see him, and that would have been nice for his family to see. It's not like Boston was in the playoff hunt in mid-late March.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Well Boston just unloaded Humphries on Washington, so that frees up a roster spot at least. And there's still the possibility of them trading Rondo this off-season to open up playing time for Bradley and Smart. That would still leave a logjam ahead of Babb at SG, but it would help his odds at least.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Wut?
Look....just because ZJohnson does not appear to agree with you on most things, it does not have any bearing on what I just posted. Furthermore, I acknowledged this was wishful thinking on my behalf. What gives here?

It's been a loooooooooong off season.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Wut?

It had nothing to do with your post. Just a jab.

Your post was fine.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I guess I don't understand how contracts in he NBA go but I thought Babb Signed a deal for a few years.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
Which leads one to wonder what the hell is the purpose of a contract?
NBA teams use non-guaranteed contracts to facilitate trades. The Celts have a bunch of NG contracts that they can package together to match salaries when making trades. The teams receiving the players with the NG contracts can then cut them and not have that money count against their cap number.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
http://en.hispanosnba.com/teams/boston-celtics

4 shooting guards.

• [h=4]0 Avery Bradley[/h]
    avery-bradley.jpg
    1.91/6-3 • 82kg/181lb
    NBA seasons: 3
    Texas
  • [h=4]Marcus Thornton[/h]
    marcus-thornton.jpg
    1.93/6-4 • 93kg/205lb
    NBA seasons: 4
    Louisiana State
  • [h=4]52 Chris Babb[/h]
    chris-babb.jpg
    1.96/6-5 • 102kg/225lb
    Rookie
    Iowa State
  • [h=4]13 James Young[/h]
    james-young.jpg
    1.98/6-6 • 98kg/216lb
    Rookie
    Kentucky

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I couldn't find a timeline on this but it looks pretty recent. It says Boston is keeping Chris Babb. I realize this could always change and this is kind of an obscure website, but, here's hoping.

http://en.hispanosnba.com/transactions

He has the same contract with Boston that he signed in March, which is completely non-guaranteed for the next three years. So until they cut him or trade him, it will appear as if they're keeping him. And maybe they will; it seems they're trying to keep a lot of options open. In the last month, however, the Celtics have added four guards - Marcus Thornton, Marcus Smart, James Young, and Evan Turner - and re-signed Avery Bradley, so there's definitely a squeeze there. Babb does have an extremely team-friendly contract though, so if basically any team likes him, there really wouldn't be any obstacles in their way.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
NBA teams use non-guaranteed contracts to facilitate trades. The Celts have a bunch of NG contracts that they can package together to match salaries when making trades. The teams receiving the players with the NG contracts can then cut them and not have that money count against their cap number.

I get it, but it still is a bizarre use of the word "contract" if one party can get out of it at any time they want. It's like signing a mortgage, but your bank says I don't care if you've made monthly payments for the last decade if the market goes up we're taking your house back and reselling it.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I get it, but it still is a bizarre use of the word "contract" if one party can get out of it at any time they want. It's like signing a mortgage, but your bank says I don't care if you've made monthly payments for the last decade if the market goes up we're taking your house back and reselling it.

What would you prefer we call it, Esquire?