Basketball (W): "Mic'd Up" With Bill Fennelly

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
great video... it really shows how good of a coach BF is and how much he cares about his players. It made me want the season to start tomorrow. Go Cyclones.

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
Those 10 extra practices and several games that we will play in Italy will help the Fab Five get with the Cyclone program. It should be a big help for the upcoming season. I hope we at least get box scores from those games in Italy.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Those 10 extra practices and several games that we will play in Italy will help the Fab Five get with the Cyclone program. It should be a big help for the upcoming season. I hope we at least get box scores from those games in Italy.

The timing is ideal with five freshman coming in, particularly considering they are pretty highly regarded and some will be needed in the lineup right away. Excellent chance for the freshman bigs and Jensen to see some court time. Cyclone.com had a story earlier that Baier was cleared to practice, does that mean she is okay to actually play in those Europe games?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
great video... it really shows how good of a coach BF is and how much he cares about his players. It made me want the season to start tomorrow. Go Cyclones.

The video captures the intensity that is is likely common to all successful programs. Brynn will be a great Senior representative along with Nikki. Practice, practice, practice! Then does it get any better than Italy, before you ever have class at ISU, for the five frosh?

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
The video captures the intensity that is is likely common to all successful programs. Brynn will be a great Senior representative along with Nikki. Practice, practice, practice! Then does it get any better than Italy, before you ever have class at ISU, for the five frosh?

Unless your name is Ashley Arlen and you don't like flying.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We all know that Coach Fen is intense. I particularly liked the sign he mentioned - good players want to be coached hard...average players are hard to coach (paraphrasing). That says it all.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
We all know that Coach Fen is intense. I particularly liked the sign he mentioned - good players want to be coached hard...average players are hard to coach (paraphrasing). That says it all.

That was one catchy phrase. And, is it ironic or coincidental for Rosie Gambino to miss out on a trip to Italy?

EHdakota

Jun 16, 2008
Sioux Falls

Is it possible to coach hard without calling your players every vulgar name they can think of? Or to yell in their face until they start to cry?

I hope he has stopped those low class methods. Having a friend of a current player commit seems to indicate that he has. Maybe the locker room is supervised, or a new medication perhaps?

Any player wants to be treated with more respect than a stray dog that has destroyed a garden. Even the dog would have some protection by the laws

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006
EHdakota,
Is it possible for you to post anything positive about Iowa State Women's basketball and Coach Fennelly? I am not sure why you keep returning when you are obviously not a true fan of either!

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
EHdakota,
Is it possible for you to post anything positive about Iowa State Women's basketball and Coach Fennelly? I am not sure why you keep returning when you are obviously not a true fan of either!

+1
If BF has been that abusive, in this social media era, there would have been huge uproar.
If he has been that abusive, we won't see Chelsea Poppens, Brittany Wilkins returning to Ames and seeing BF.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Is it possible to coach hard without calling your players every vulgar name they can think of? Or to yell in their face until they start to cry?

I hope he has stopped those low class methods. Having a friend of a current player commit seems to indicate that he has. Maybe the locker room is supervised, or a new medication perhaps?

Any player wants to be treated with more respect than a stray dog that has destroyed a garden. Even the dog would have some protection by the laws

Somehow I new Dakota would show up in this thread. Sigh....some things never change...

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
+1
If BF has been that abusive, in this social media era, there would have been huge uproar.
If he has been that abusive, we won't see Chelsea Poppens, Brittany Wilkins returning to Ames and seeing BF.

My assumption is stories of Bill's coaching horrors are over-dramatized if not melodramatic. With Bill what you see is what you get and his style is not too dissimilar from other highly successful coaches.

Many players love BF, a few are intimidated (at first) of him, and some fall into the "average players are hard to coach" category. And when the average player doesn't live up to their dreams (fail) they blame BF and generate rumors to prop their psyche. Mr. Dakota may also be a fan of the smaller college WBB in S. Dakota and thus be a little envious of ISU WBB taking stories to tarnish our reputation.