Is JP a hypocrite for celebrating Mac on Saturday?

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
Was listening to Travis Justice this a.m. (Omaha's Big Sports 590) and he was ripping JP for his handling of the Mac resignation. He thinks JP is a hypocrite because he's "firing" Mac because he needs to raise $ and sell tickets and then celebrating him at the Missou game Saturday. I think that's a huge generalization based on the success of Mac in the past. He also implied that ISU should resign itself to being a mediocre in football. I can't buy into that though...
Thoughts?

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Was listening to Travis Justice this a.m. (Omaha's Big Sports 590) and he was ripping JP for his handling of the Mac resignation. He thinks JP is a hypocrite because he's "firing" Mac because he needs to raise $ and sell tickets and then celebrating him at the Missou game Saturday. I think that's a huge generalization based on the success of Mac in the past. He also implied that ISU should resign itself to being a mediocre in football. I can't buy into that though...
Thoughts?

Travis Justice is a hawk fan and thinks anyone in the state of Iowa besides the hawkeyes are second class. Also he will say anything to get a rise out of someone. His diatribe about ISU means nothing.
I don't hate Justice but when it come to ISU, his hawkeye blinders are on full tilt.

Kowskie

Apr 11, 2006
I does seem rather hipocritical. We came back from a horrible season once before. I think we could do it again. He did not have to be fired.

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
Did he ever make mention that Pollard AND MAC decided now was the time. I am sick of hearing people bash Pollard...IT WAS NOT ALL HIS DECISON! Both Pollard and MAC realized that they had hit the wall...and change was needed. The entire cyclone community on saturday is celebrating where coach MAC has taken ISU football.

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
Mac does not want to leave! He and Fennelly are two of the best ambassadors that ISU could ever have. Does not sound like his choice now does it?
Why take two steps back in hopes of taking three steps forward? Maybe new guy trying to make a mark??
Can we ever be an Michigan, a USC or other powers?
Is it worth comprimising a program that is known as a "class" operation by coaches all thru the nation?
Here's hoping for the best!

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Regardless of whether JP strong armed Mac into resigning or not, the proper thing to do is to celebrate Mac's 12 year tenure and thank him for all that he has accomplished. He took us from a squad that regularly got smashed by Neb and EIU to a squad that played tough and had us on the verge of bigger things that just didn't come to light. I disagree with those who call the EIU game our Superbowl, but as the lone Cyclone growing up in an EIU family, I relish each and every victory Mac had over them. So celebrate and thank Mac for 12 long years and wish him the best in the future.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
In some people's eyes, no matter what Pollard does - it will be wrong.

It would have been a complete injustice to not celebrate D-Mac's 12 years at ISU.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
Thoughts?

Yeah... Shame on JP for trying to make anything positive out of this. :rolleyes5cz:

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Why take two steps back in hopes of taking three steps forward?

Where does two steps back from this season leave us? Can we somehow have a negative in the conference win column?

Next year the team graduates 4 of the starting o-linemen and the two best d-linemen. The reserves have not steped up. If Mac returned next year it would have been more of the same. The program is in a rebuilding mode no matter who the coach is.

Mac's program lost momentum on the recruiting front, and that wasn't going to get better next year. Everyone would have used Mac's job status to recruit against him.

I believe JP really wanted Mac to succeed, but he needed to move quickly to prevent things from deteriorating further.

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Mac does not want to leave! He and Fennelly are two of the best ambassadors that ISU could ever have. Does not sound like his choice now does it?
Why take two steps back in hopes of taking three steps forward? Maybe new guy trying to make a mark??
Can we ever be an Michigan, a USC or other powers?
Is it worth comprimising a program that is known as a "class" operation by coaches all thru the nation?
Here's hoping for the best!

Please stop with the loser talk. Yeah, Mac did some good things here. We've also had some horrible seasons under Mac. To think we need to put up with some of the worst seasons in all of college football (yes, in ALL of college football) merely to retain a "class operation" is disgusting. You are telling me that you'd rather be known as a "Class" operation rather than a winner? I'm not saying a "dirty" winner, just merely a winner. You have to set personal issues aside. I don't think anyone would argue about Mac being a good person. There are plenty though that could argue his coaching ability here. That is what this decision was made on. His ability to coach the Cyclones. There is also no reason to believe that we couldn't get a better coach in here that is able to run a "Class" program and still have success with the program. Everyone says this is going to be a stepping stone program. No one is going to want to come here and be known as a cheating jerk if they are looking to move upwards. Mac isn't the only "Class" coach in the world.

jgooder

Apr 13, 2006
Michigan
JP is not a hypocrite. ISU Fans decided Mac's fate. Pollard was left with no choice. If Mac stayed, ISU would lose almost half of its fan base. If Mac respectfully steps down, the entire fan base is united, and the program can maybe gain momentum again. If I were in Pollard's place, I would've came to the same logical, although emotionally tough, decision. If anything, ISU fans are hypocrites, but before an outsider starts throwing names and blame, they should first walk in an ISU football fan's shoes for 12 years before they do it. To outsiders, honoring a man that you want to get rid of makes zero sense, but to most ISU fans, it makes perfect sense. However, I do respect the anger of a minority of ISU fans who are angry at Mac's (probably forced) resignation. I don't agree, but I understand.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
JP is responsible for the future direction of the program - for getting all programs to the top half of the conference in five years. Just because he decided that a change was the best way for that to happen doesn't mean he doesn't join the rest of us in giving praise and appreciation to DMAC for all he has done in the past for ISU. There is also credit due for what he has done for the young men who passed through the program during his tenure. :yes4lo:

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
I find it funny that most people on the outside (ie. fans of other schools) tend to dislike Pollard and criticize his every move, while fans of ISU love him, and applaud his vision and ambition, even though they don't always agree with the decision. It seems to me like a case of competitors not wanting to wake the sleeping dog.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Where does two steps back from this season leave us? Can we somehow have a negative in the conference win column?

Next year the team graduates 4 of the starting o-linemen and the two best d-linemen. The reserves have not steped up. If Mac returned next year it would have been more of the same. The program is in a rebuilding mode no matter who the coach is.

Mac's program lost momentum on the recruiting front, and that wasn't going to get better next year. Everyone would have used Mac's job status to recruit against him.

I believe JP really wanted Mac to succeed, but he needed to move quickly to prevent things from deteriorating further.

Excellent, excellent post. I couldn't have said it any better.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I, for one, am more than willing to take two steps backward in order to go 3 steps forward. For one thing, we are WINLESS in the Big XII so exactly how much further backward can we go?

I don't think it is hypocritical at all to honor Mac for his 12 years of service here. We are not leaving on bad terms. Mac knows that ISU lived up to their end of the bargain. It is he and the staff (plus his team) that didn't live up to their's. There are other factors as well which figure into Mac's leaving. The Berryman and Coleman experiments did not work out real well. Sad, but true. Combined with the Hooks and Nash incident a couple years earlier, and the problems that Thompson and Gair encountered it is apparent that our wonderful ISU football program at times could provide embarassment off the field of play. This year's team in addition to off field embarassment is providing "on field" embarassment. We haven't been competitive. But rather than dwell on the negative, it is better that we celebrate and cheer Mac's positive accomplishments rather than his shortcomings.

As I stated earlier, a risk of going backward is well worth the REWARD of being far forward from where we are today. Why would anyone want to stay where we are at right now?

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
No one is crying or calling people "losers" like Clonefan 94 are?
I'm basing my comment on fact about the situation.
Mac has made mistakes as most all do. He planned on Meyer elevating his game to be the All Con QB and it did not happen. Other players plateaued also. The game of football. For those of us that played at that level we share the pain for who was here and who now must go forward.
I wish the best for JP and all of ISU. I'm probably not one to think that we will reach the elite level. It is intercollegiate athletics still. They are still suppose to be student-athletes. I guess big business is in everyone's mind nowadays. Just part of life. I do hope for the best.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Travis Justice is a hawk fan and thinks anyone in the state of Iowa besides the hawkeyes are second class. Also he will say anything to get a rise out of someone. His diatribe about ISU means nothing.
I don't hate Justice but when it come to ISU, his hawkeye blinders are on full tilt.

Travis is from Minden Iowa which is 45 miles east of Omaha. Travis is much more Big Red than Hawk. I think he is more Clone than Hawk if you ask him.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I does seem rather hipocritical. We came back from a horrible season once before. I think we could do it again. He did not have to be fired.

ISU came back from being the worst team in the Big 12 North, to a 4-4 team for two years, and has fallen back to being the worst team in the Big 12 North. And, I would propose that a primary reason that ISU was able to come back to 4-4 during those two years was due to coaching instability/issues with the other teams in the Big 12 North (i.e. Barnett and Snyder on the way out, Callahan, Pinkel and Mangino just getting settled in). Except for possibly Mangino at KU, things are looking pretty stable now among the other 5 teams in the Big 12 North.

The 0-8 to 4-4 conference roller coaster is one that has become unattractive and unnacceptabe to Cyclone fans (as it should be). If DM couldn't get more than four Big 12 wins with the easy schedule and the turmoil in the Big 12 North over the past two years, there's no way it was going to happen anytime in the near future. Football drives the athletic department, and it simply needs to do better than cycling between 0-8 and 4-4. I'm sorry that DM couldn't do it, but it is ADJP's job to find someone who can. His job and ISU athletics depend on it...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron