Lunardi sees ISU as a 3-4 seed regardless of KC results

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Unfortunately a couple tough losses lately really hurt any 2 seed argument.

We would likely end up a really high 3 seed if we won it all though, which would be pretty cool.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
I like that approach. The regular season should be for building your resume. The conference tourney should be for determining the automatic bids.

And as Chris says in the article, the NCAA is paying less attention to conference tournaments--which for me begs the question--why did the Big 12 move the tournament back a day(to start on Wednesdays and end on Saturday)? The reasoning, I thought, was that the title game ending at 5 on Sunday didn't allow the tournament committee enough time.

If they don't care about the finale, let's move it back to Thursday Sunday.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
LOL. Yeah, most of us could've nailed it that close. :smile:

I know, right? What's he basically saying? That ISU is possibly a top 10 team, most likely a top 20 team, but possibly in the low 20's. In other words, we're exactly what our AP ranking has been since November.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I know, right? What's he basically saying? That ISU is possibly a top 10 team, most likely a top 20 team, but possibly in the low 20's. In other words, we're exactly what our AP ranking has been since November.

they don't pay him the big bucks for his expert analysis for nothing

Feb 6, 2013
And as Chris says in the article, the NCAA is paying less attention to conference tournaments--which for me begs the question--why did the Big 12 move the tournament back a day(to start on Wednesdays and end on Saturday)? The reasoning, I thought, was that the title game ending at 5 on Sunday didn't allow the tournament committee enough time.

What if WV wins the tourney? Then the committee needs more contingencies for booting a bubble team. I think it's in the conference's best interests to finish games on Saturday.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
A 3 or 4 seed? Sign me up. To achieve that after losing 6 of our top 9 is a heck of a feat.

The tournament is all about match-ups, and avoiding the elite teams early is the biggest part of that. If 2011-12 had avoided playing perhaps the most elite team in the past 10 years in the second round, we likely be looking at a EE or better that year.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
A 3 or 4 seed? Sign me up. To achieve that after losing 6 of our top 9 is a heck of a feat.

The tournament is all about match-ups, and avoiding the elite teams early is the biggest part of that. If 2011-12 had avoided playing perhaps the most elite team in the past 10 years in the second round, we likely be looking at a EE or better that year.

Pays to have the team figure itself out before January.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

I think the NCAA tournament coaches would disagree. Another day of rest before the most important week of the season. Plus, no such move is made without financial reasons. Perhaps we needed to get away from playing on the same day as the ACC, SEC, and BIG?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

It isn't a big issue playing on Sat. No matter when you play it on Sunday it gets lost in the mix of the other conference tournaments.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well, that's a relief - considering Lunardi's never right (or so people say around here). Therefore, I expect ISU to be a 2 seed...

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
2 seed is in play. Just have to win the Big 12 tourney and have some key teams ahead/around ISU lose. If they get it, they'll be the last 2 or #8 overall.

A win tomorrow solidifies a 3 seed. A loss and we're a 4.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
And as Chris says in the article, the NCAA is paying less attention to conference tournaments--which for me begs the question--why did the Big 12 move the tournament back a day(to start on Wednesdays and end on Saturday)?...

I'm not sure I agree w/ Chris that the committee has paid less attention to tournaments. It's possible tournament games in recent years had less impact on the selection/seeding, but I assume attention has remained relatively consistent.

Outside of determining auto bids, conference tournament are essentially an extension of the regular season.