Cyclones 1-point underdogs at Kansas State

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I know teamrankings gives us 56% odds to win. I thought it was a pickem or maybe even us favored by 1.

Vegas seems to have been big fans of ISU all year long with some favorable lines.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Personally I think the tight spread is simply a factor of how good ISU matches up with K-State. K-State isn't very big in the post... neither is ISU. K-State isn't explosive on offense as they average 69 points per game... ISU is explosive on offense and have scored at least 70 points in every game this season leading to an average of 83.6 points per game.

I think there are a lot of areas where ISU has a significant advantage on K-State. If ISU can dictate the tempo and they play their game I don't think K-State can beat them tomorrow.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Personally I think the tight spread is simply a factor of how good ISU matches up with K-State. K-State isn't very big in the post... neither is ISU. K-State isn't explosive on offense as they average 69 points per game... ISU is explosive on offense and have scored at least 70 points in every game this season leading to an average of 83.6 points per game.

I think there are a lot of areas where ISU has a significant advantage on K-State. If ISU can dictate the tempo and they play their game I don't think K-State can beat them tomorrow.

FH has won 5/6 vs KSU as well I believe.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Let's not ignore that ISU is giving up an average of 80.5 points per game (in regulation) on the road in conference play while KSU only gives up 61.4 (in regulation) at home in conference play.

This should be a dogfight.

Where is Mike Nurse when you need him.

Last edited:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
FH has won 5/6 vs KSU as well I believe.

ISU has a style of play that K-State simply can't match offensively. If ISU can play solid on D K-State simply doesn't have the offensive firepower to stay with them. Have Monte shadowing Spradling on the perimeter and do a decent job defending Foster and who on K-State's roster is going to beat you? Nobody.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Let's not ignore that ISU is giving up an average of 80.5 points per game (in regulation) on the road in conference play while KSU only gives up about 61 (in regulation) at home in conference play.

Obviously ISU plays at a much faster pace so both stats are not that important. I would guess ISU is scoring more PPP and playing better defense PPP wise though as ISU is ranked pretty highly in both.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Let's not ignore that ISU is giving up an average of 80.5 points per game (in regulation) on the road in conference play while KSU only gives up 61.4 (in regulation) at home in conference play.

Those are great defensive stats for K-State at home. The only problem is that K-State hasn't faced the Cyclones in the Octagon of Dumb yet.

BigCojones

Aug 24, 2009
Ankeny
Dam. Wish I was in Vegas. I would put 10k down on KSU -1. This team couldnt win at Texas or OU. No way in heck are they winning at KSU.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Those are great defensive stats for K-State at home. The only problem is that K-State hasn't faced the Cyclones in the Octagon of Dumb yet.

The same could be said about ISU's scoring average and having not played at K State yet.

Look, I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but if ISU is able to pull this one out it will be a major accomplishment. They even were able to beat KU there which they have only done - what, twice? - in that building.

By the way, I prefer to call it the Octagon of Mild Discomfort.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
The same could be said about ISU's scoring average and having not played at K State yet.

Look, I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but if ISU is able to pull this one out it will be a major accomplishment. They even were able to beat KU there which they have only done - what, twice? - in that building.

By the way, I prefer to call it the Octagon of Mild Discomfort.

I'm not trying to be a sunshine pumper but I just really like how ISU matches up with K-State. Outside of TCU I don't think there is another Big XII team that ISU matches up with better then K-State.

Also keep in mind that since their big win against KU the Wildcats got spanked by Baylor, struggled at home against TCU before pulling away late, got spanked at OU, and struggled badly at Tech. Right now... K-State has to be a bit concerned with how poorly they have been playing coming into this game going 5-5 in their last 10 games while ISU has won 8 of their last 10 games.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
We really haven't beat a B12 team with a pulse on the road yet this year. We played Tech before they got their crap together, and TCU is just terrible. We did manage to pull off OSU, but that was in the middle of their 7 game losing streak, and it took us 3 OTs to do it. I'd bet the farm on KSU and I'm a little shocked they are only favored by 1.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Vegas doesn't always get it right. They had Iowa over Indiana last night, didn't they?

GO CLONES!!!