MEGAMILLIONS - Who's is buying tickets?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
$586 million this morning. I'm in a pool at work, just 5 of us. Just curious who all is taking a shot at it?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
When's the drawing? I could settle for 100K. Pay off my loans, buy a car, down payment on house. Dang that'd be nice.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
I'll purchase 1 ticket later tonight, you got to be in it to win it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm in. I only play when the jackpots get to the point where if you win you could legitimately put a dent in world hunger. I play for the kids.

Reactions: oskyclone

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
No offense, but Powerball is a punishment for people who don't understand probability. Your chances of being struck by lightning are far greater. On the other hands, the odds of you being killed by a falling coconut are worse. So, unless you live on a tropical island or plan to visit the Botanical Center, go ahead, have some fun. Cheaper than a movie or a beer, so there's that.

In other words, no, I do not, nor have I ever, played the lottery.

Your Powerball odds: Better than death by coconut, worse than shark attack | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
You can't win if you don't play. I figure I'd waste a few bucks a week on something equally fruitless, so why not? I'm not going to be able to afford to move to/early retire to where I want to go on my own. Doesn't hurt anything to try...

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
No offense, but Powerball is a punishment for people who don't understand probability. Your chances of being struck by lightning are far greater. On the other hands, the odds of you being killed by a falling coconut are worse. So, unless you live on a tropical island or plan to visit the Botanical Center, go ahead, have some fun. Cheaper than a movie or a beer, so there's that.

Your Powerball odds: Better than death by coconut, worse than shark attack | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

dbVZQ.gif

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

Stop being that guy.

Everyone in his thread, and I dare say 99% of the people who are buying a ticket(s) know the odds. I plan on buying $5 worth and if I win, I'm buying CF and changing your avatar to a monkey throwing feces. If I don't win? Meh, ok.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Stop being that guy.

Everyone in his thread, and I dare say 99% of the people who are buying a ticket(s) know the odds. I plan on buying $5 worth and if I win, I'm buying CF and changing your avatar to a monkey throwing feces. If I don't win? Meh, ok.

Thank god I don't have to pay for the SEZ now. I kinda like the idea of Bret44 Agricultural Research/Beach Volleyball Complex.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I'm in the pool at work, no way I'm being left behind. I would hate to have them win and me be that guy that told them what the odds of winning were.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
No offense, but Powerball is a punishment for people who don't understand probability. Your chances of being struck by lightning are far greater. On the other hands, the odds of you being killed by a falling coconut are worse.

Terrible post.

gambling is more than probability: it's about determining whether the payout vs probability of winning is justifiable. I.e. if you have a 10% chance to win $10 on $1, that is a reasonable bet... it's not a good bet, but it's not terrible either

I believe the odds for this game were 1 in 250m+ or so to win.. if the tickets cost $1, and the payout is over 250m (or whatever it is), then that's a fairly justifiable wager

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Threw in $5 for tonight's drawing. If I win......great investment, If I don't.......one less beer this weekend.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I just about bought one when I was grabbing a Coke earlier. So if the winner comes from the little convienence shop like place in the Skywalk in Des Moines run by the old guy and the asian lady, I will be ******.