Got an iPad...any tips from you guys?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
So I am sick and tired of hauling my computer around to radio shows, interview sessions, etc. and I bought an iPad today.

I thought I'd check with all of you techies out there for any tips on some good apps you might have stumbled across over the years.

Anything?

Thanks in advance.

CW

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Candy Crush. Kidding...kind of.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
If you will have internet access, make use of cloud services like dropbox.

Make sure you set up icloud so that all of your stuff gets backed up nightly.

Download the Walking Dead game, its a great time waster.

I am currently looking to sell my ipad 2 and iphone 4s so I can get a new ipad. I use my ipad every day.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I just got PvZ 2 on my phone; it didn't come out for android right away so I've been playing on the girlfriends iPhone.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I use my ipad every day.

This. Absolutely, this. For e-mail, general web browsing, reading my magazine subscriptions ... it's fantastic.

The Facebook app is kind of clunky, but workable. Twitter is awesome on the iPad, and there are several client apps you can pick from (I use the regular Twitter app, and it works great for me).

ABC and NBC have good apps, for TV viewing (not live, after the fact). I don't use the Watch ESPN app because my cable company doesn't support it, but I have heard good things. TuneIn and IHeartRadio are good for listening to radio stations, and if you're crafty you can find live radio sports coverage there.

ESPN Score Center app can keep you up to date. MLB At Bat app for following the Braves (if you insist). Kayak, Trip Advisor, Priceline, Yelp are great travel apps. If you are a newspaper subscriber, oftentimes a paper will have an app so you can load and read the paper on your iPad (both the Cedar Rapids Gazette and Des Moines Register has one). USA Today has a free app.

If you plan to do much typing, you will want to get a keyboard. Bluetooth keyboards work really well. My wife has a metal case for her iPad that doubles as a keyboard and a stand, which I am very envious of.

People will have a hard time prying the iPad out of your hands. Have fun!

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
If you plan to do much typing, you will want to get a keyboard. Bluetooth keyboards work really well. My wife has a metal case for her iPad that doubles as a keyboard and a stand, which I am very envious of.

I agree, but will add "try before you buy". I went cheap on my first Bluetooth keyboard. Worked as advertised, but very uncomfortable. My thumb couldn't even hit the spacebar because there was a lip in the way. The second one was more expensive but was unreliable. Returned both and ended up with a third which I do like and use often, especially on short business trips when I don't want to lug the laptop along.

I find it funny that "lugging a laptop along", which weighs all of 6 pounds, is considered a nuisance now.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
Not an app, but if you use it for work this is a must: It is so much easier to type with a keyboard.

ultrathin-keyboard-cover.jpg

Support + Downloads: Ultrathin Keyboard Cover - Logitech

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron