Richardson/Messingham

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I personally think that Richardson is our guy and I feel like most people would agree... That being said do any of you think SR is taking the wrap for Messinghams terrible play calling game in and game out? Hence why Grant is taking over. I smell 1-11.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Absolutely! Unfortunately neither QB will be successful in this current dumpster fire we have going. Mess is a mess.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
It's not like SR has lit the world on fire. 2 garbage time TDs in the last 2 games = change, any change, to me.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I personally think that Richardson is our guy and I feel like most people would agree... That being said do any of you think SR is taking the wrap for Messinghams terrible play calling game in and game out? Hence why Grant is taking over. I smell 1-11.

I think about 70% of the offenses issues falls on Mess. Don't get me wrong, I know players need to execute and I know the offensive line has been absolutely awful at times, but a BCS OC should be able to figure out how to work past that.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Its not just Mess. Its the whole scheme. I grow evermore convinced that although Mess is an incompetent lieutenant, the the responsibility actually belongs to the commander.

Somebody on this board had a great description of PR as a coach whose strength is motivation. That will not cut it at this level.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Its not just Mess. Its the whole scheme. I grow evermore convinced that although Mess is an incompetent lieutenant, the the responsibility actually belongs to the commander.

Somebody on this board had a great description of PR as a coach whose strength is motivation. That will not cut it at this level.

I love CPR, but agreed 100%. See any changes at the end of the year? Not talking Head Coach wise, mainly OC wise

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I think some of it is on Sam. I think between Sam, WRs and Mess, it's a perfect disaster. The ceiling is higher on Grant, but he seems to be a turnover machine and an inferior runner. I would be fine with a turnover if the qbs showed a bit more fearless attitude in the passing game like taking shots down field and maybe throwing more over the top throws down the sidelines.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I love CPR, but agreed 100%. See any changes at the end of the year? Not talking Head Coach wise, mainly OC wise
Agreed, and it wouldn't surprise me if CPR has already decided to change OCs but is waiting till year end to publically state it. They do still have games to play, it would be counterproductive to tear down the OC when you still have to prepare for games.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Rhoads really needs to just find someone with experience and success as a BCS level OC and then give them full control. The offense is now yours, ..., for better or worse. The good executives know or figure out what they are not good at, get the right people, and stay the hell out of the way. I'm also a little tired of him repetitively saying that you can't get pressure on QB's in this league because they pass too quickly. Freaking just watch a few games, especially ours, and tell me that is still true. Also, why do NFL teams blitz and mix up their schemes so much?

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Sam isn't executing, he's not the only one though. Who's job is it to get the players to execute? I have never coached but I think the number one rule as a leader of young men is poor play is never a young players fault.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Or they mainly just pass too quickly on us? Young defense..I do look forward to them in the coming years.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
It's not like SR has lit the world on fire. 2 garbage time TDs in the last 2 games = change, any change, to me.

Conference ranks for Sam:
#3 in TDs
#5 in YDS
Almost 2:1 TD:INT ratio when a good chunk of the other starters are 1:1 or worse
#1 in sacks taken (currently at 21)

2013 Big 12 College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Passing - ESPN

Sam has a chance to take quite a few school records for QBs if he doesn't have to run for his life. The kid definitely has some things to work on but it's hard to take those lessons to heart when you're constantly hearing footsteps

Last edited:

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Here's where I disagree. Incompetent coaching, especially desperate incompetent coaching, can do irrevocable damage to this team in these last few weeks.

Agreed, and it wouldn't surprise me if CPR has already decided to change OCs but is waiting till year end to publically state it. They do still have games to play, it would be counterproductive to tear down the OC when you still have to prepare for games.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Richardson is our quarterback from everything I have seen and its his team.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Our QB's have been below average for years. The blame falls on the inability to recruit or the inability to teach.

I go with the latter look at Texas Tech, KSU, Baylor, none of those quarterbacks according to Rivals are better than what we have from a high school perspective.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Sam isn't playing well right now because he is a mess. He's got multiple injuries, and he is hearing footsteps walking across central campus from getting lit up every game. Couple that with an o-line decimated by injury and an incompetant oc who throws him under the bus every week and it's no wonder his confidence is shot and he's playing like crap.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Sam is certainly not an elite QB, but I think he is serviceable. If Mess believes that it's the QB play that is an issue, that's still a Mess problem. He should have recruited a QB that fits his so-called "scheme".

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Its not just Mess. Its the whole scheme.

This. I hate all the read option/pistol crap for isu's personel. Give me the i-formation and pro style everyday. You can't tell me we wouldn't be able to run the ball with woody as a full time fb leading the way. And I'm guessing 3rd and short would be a hell of a lot more easy to convert with our qb under center and the rb with a head of steam.