JUCO QB #1 Priority

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
Richardson and Rohach aren't the answers. Nothing against them...I'm sure they're great students and teammates. Bring in a JUCO QB for the next couple of years and hope that Hodge is as good as advertised.

This ISU team reminds me of the Chiefs last year. Poor QB play, terrible offensive coordinator, and lack of basic fundamentals destroyed their season. This can be fixed. Rhoads won't let this go on without making major changes this winter. I have total faith in him.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Disagree with OP, we need juco LB's and DL before we need a QB. An overhaul of the offensive play calling and coaching would help with QB play.

Last edited:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
The ability of this staff to evaluate QB talent has simply been laughable to this point.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
well, always great to wake up to a stupid post. You could put Joe Montana in this offense and things would still be ugly.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I'll bet a healthy sum of money Lanning starts next season if a Juco is not brought in.

Reactions: CyDude16

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Richardson and Rohach aren't the answers. Nothing against them...I'm sure they're great students and teammates. Bring in a JUCO QB for the next couple of years and hope that Hodge is as good as advertised.

This ISU team reminds me of the Chiefs last year. Poor QB play, terrible offensive coordinator, and lack of basic fundamentals destroyed their season. This can be fixed. Rhoads won't let this go on without making major changes this winter. I have total faith in him.

I think you are correct. QB is by FAR the most important position on the field. I think Sam could have been a good one, but once again, we destroyed him. I'm not sure he can recover from all of this?

But there's no reason to bring in a JUCO QB if the entire offensive scheme and coach doesn't change IMO. Otherwise, we will just ruin another QB IMO.

But I too don't think we have enough competition in this QB group right now. We have competition, but not at a high enough level IMO.

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
No way. It starts with the QB. Most important position on the field. I think we have B12-level depth at those positions you mention, although I would take JUCO help there as well. We will not win with either Rohach or Richardson regardless of the defense, IMO.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
The QB position has not been great but we have seen what SBR can do when he is protected. He's not been perfect but it's not all his fault. He's been running for his life most of time and/or receivers are failing to get open. I still think he can be a decent Big XII QB if the proper pieces are in place around him.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The ability of this staff to evaluate QB talent has simply been laughable to this point.
The more laughable thing is fans continue to think just fix the QB and the offense is good. Ignoring the fact the line has been terrible (even when healthy) and the receiver group has been the biggest issue with this program for 6 years.

But yeah, just replace the QB and it's all bunnies-n-sunshine!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Yikes. You are right. Ok. Scratch the idea of bringing in a JUCO QB then.

Maybe we get this Darius Lee-Campbell kid and start him as a true freshman? I'm not sure that's the answer either though.

I guess Lanning just running the read option might be better than what we're doing now though?

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
The more laughable thing is fans continue to think just fix the QB and the offense is good. Ignoring the fact the line has been terrible (even when healthy) and the receiver group has been the biggest issue with this program for 6 years.

But yeah, just replace the QB and it's all bunnies-n-sunshine!

I didn't say no other changes were needed. I said attempting to find a QB who can come in and start... or at least provide competition with what we have now is the first priority. The OL will be better next year. They're young and still developing. Obviously, every position should be reviewed after this train wreck.

Last edited:

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
All this **** is so silly. Shut up and enjoy the day. Root for ISU next week, win or lose. Next season will be better. If it isn't, then you can start to worry.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I didn't say no other changes were needed. I said finding attempting to find a QB who can come in and start... or at least provided competition with what we have now is the first priority. The OL will be better next year. They're young and still developing. Obviously, every position should be reviewed after this train wreck.
Better line play and improved receivers - our QB position looks completely different and these simpleton posts don't exist.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Talking qb, I think the current wide receivers could do a much better job catching the ball to help the qb. Maybe Lazard will turn this around. Frankly, unless the ball is in the bread basket, the WRs do not show a propensity for success. We have had a couple of great grabs, but some easier ones have been dropped on numerous occasion. We absolutely need to get more athletic at wide receiver. That was why Josh Lenz was an unsung hero last year. He was dependable. It seems Jarvis West is most dependable at this point although he is injured.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I didn't say no other changes were needed. I said finding attempting to find a QB who can come in and start... or at least provided competition with what we have now is the first priority. The OL will be better next year. They're young and still developing. Obviously, every position should be reviewed after this train wreck.
The oline looked more like an oline yesterday than they have all year. The skill positions did not perform very well.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We havent had a starting qb go 3 years in the same system since at least sage rosenfels.

Maybe we let these guys develop before trashing a freshman and sophomore qb. Messingham hasn't even been given a chance in this dept. yet he might get fired anyway.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
WE DO NOT NEED A JUCO QB!!

We need our line to protect better, our WRs need to get more seperation, our defense needs to get better, and some of our coaches need to get their heads out of their ***. Overall, our biggest problem is developing talent.

I realize people are freaking out, but we dont need help at any one position, we need help everywhere. IMO, QB is towards the bottom of the list for help.