The Wide Right & Natty Lite guys not Mess fans I take it?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Why would you insult an American treasure like Sam Elliot like that?

Courtney-Messingham-spring-2012-2.jpg

MV5BMTU0NTk4NDgzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjU5Nzc1._V1._SX261_SY400_.jpg

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I wonder if Mess watched Sportscenter to see if Baylor had any plays we can steal, not that we would want to do that.

Granted, all the OL issues have been tough to deal with, but you have to deal with it. I can't stand this guy.

Agree with snowcraig, the guy has no hesitation talking about problems, but never talks about how he could have called this or that. Doesn't shoulder any of the blame, can't wait until hes a position coach or calling plays for Illinois State next year.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Can we get a muzzle for this guy, I mean seriously? I've never heard anyone so arrogant. Talk about zero accountability.

WRNL ‏@WideRtNattyLt 15h
Another week means another interview in which Courtney Messingham attempts to throw Sam Richardson under the bus. http://www.cyclones.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=-4&id=3085479 …

Expand

I think it's pretty clear that he's 'on notice' and he thinks the curtain is about to come down on him, perhaps even mid-performance. That could be the sound of a dead man walking. At the very least, it's a guy wilting under pressure. It's sad. If people can't see that he's in over his by now, I don't know what to say.

Last edited:

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Tom Herman 2.0

There is noting I am doing wrong, the players just are not making the plays. If only they would do what I tell them to do things would be great.

Here is a hint for Mess. Lecturing and teaching are not the same thing. Leadership involves setting your people up for success not throwing your people under the bus to hide your own deficiencies.

This interview sealed the deal for me. He has to go NOW. Not at the end of the season.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I didn't think the interview was that bad...he was asked a QB specific question about getting the ball out quicker and he responded.

And he has a point, both QBs have had situations where they held onto the ball too long...and that sack he referred to that Grant took was pretty bad, I wondered at the time why he didn't throw it away as he was running towards the sideline. But I'm sure he had a pretty good case of the nerves...it's a teachable moment.

Now, I will say this...part of me wonders if some of his comments wouldn't be better served to stay in the meeting room rather than in front of the press...but I think he might be just trying to explain what he's telling the QBs.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I didn't think the interview was that bad...he was asked a QB specific question about getting the ball out quicker and he responded.

And he has a point, both QBs have had situations where they held onto the ball too long...and that sack he referred to that Grant took was pretty bad, I wondered at the time why he didn't throw it away as he was running towards the sideline. But I'm sure he had a pretty good case of the nerves...it's a teachable moment.

Now, I will say this...part of me wonders if some of his comments wouldn't be better served to stay in the meeting room rather than in front of the press...but I think he might be just trying to explain what he's telling the QBs.

I agree. I like to blame Mess as much as the next guy, but I didnt feel this interview was inflammatory.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you put a silo around this interview with no pretext or context, no, it's not inflammatory. However, with the pretext of this train wreck of a season and the context of his performance and already demonstrated lack of accountability, it is infuriating.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I agree. I like to blame Mess as much as the next guy, but I didnt feel this interview was inflammatory.

I don't know, I know this isn't intramurals, but still, it's the way you word things that really counts. And I'm not saying he should change that wording up for Sam or any other player as much as realize he's talking to the media, a media who likes to get on ISU case a lot of times. So why not shoulder that blame when talking to the media. Instead of "Sam needs to do a better job of getting rid of the ball" a simple, "We need to do a better job of emphasizing the importance of Sam getting rid of the ball in a timely manner."

We deal with the whole "Starting QB sucks" as it is enough, no use to put it out there in the public that the reason it's failing is all on Sam's shoulders. It's not that I dont' think Sam can't take the criticism, I think a lot of fans can take it.

I still think the guy is a tool though. This isn't the first interview where he's publicly stated problems with the O being on the players, not him. Maybe it's my disgust for the guy, but when I hear him talk, he just seems like he's using every excuse to not pin problems on himself.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron