Touchback

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
Tennessee just fumbled the ball into the endzone and GA gets the ball as a touchback. They mentioned the Texas game. How was that second fumble not a touchback?

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I thought it was a touchback if the ball was fumbled across the goal line and out of bounds.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
Tennessee just fumbled the ball into the endzone and GA gets the ball as a touchback. They mentioned the Texas game. How was that second fumble not a touchback?

Because the Texas player recovered it. It's only a touchback if it goes out of bounds.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I thought it was a touchback if the ball was fumbled across the goal line and out of bounds.

This, you can recover in the endzone, but with the no fumble forward for offense, it would be moved back to the previous spot. The ball is still live until it goes out of bounds through the endzone.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Tennessee totally just pulled an us in that one. I totally know how those 100,000+ people are feeling.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I've always thought this rule was the most unfair rule in football. Such a huge difference between fumbling out of bounds at the 1 versus past the pylon in the end zone.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I've always thought this rule was the most unfair rule in football. Such a huge difference between fumbling out of bounds at the 1 versus past the pylon in the end zone.
If you don't make that the rule then how would you spot the ball after a fumble out of the end zone?

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
If you don't make that the rule then how would you spot the ball after a fumble out of the end zone?

Just like any other forward fumble out of bounds. The spot where the offensive player last had possession of the ball.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
I do remember that now that you bring it up. Coleman fumble on the 1 right?

Yes, I think that was it. I keep trying to forget all the kicks in the gonads during 05. still can't shake some of those plays.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Yes, I think that was it. I keep trying to forget all the kicks in the gonads during 05. still can't shake some of those plays.

Pretty sure Baylor recovered the fumble in the end zone on that one, which triggered the touch back. If I remember right, Coleman's fumble happened right around the right side hash mark going toward the north end zone.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Pretty sure Baylor recovered the fumble in the end zone on that one, which triggered the touch back. If I remember right, Coleman's fumble happened right around the right side hash mark going toward the north end zone.

Didn't we have two fumbles go into the endzone that game. one was recovered and the other went out of bounds. Like I said, I have a big mental block around that game.

Edit. Just went and looked at the box score. You are right. only one fumble into the endzone and it was recovered. Pretty sure we did it at least once that year. just don't remember which game.

Last edited: