Why aren't we playing Kansas or TCU at the end of the season?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The Big XII tweeted out a copy of the full conference football slate this morning and it got me thinking.

OFsaSOX.jpg

First off, guess which two teams have to go 9 weeks straight with no break? ISU and Kansas. Thanks, Big XII. But more importantly, Kansas and TCU both have byes that last week and could easily be moved to the last week of the season so we could have a mid-season bye. The TCU game being moved would be especially perfect. I don't understand why they didn't schedule it that way.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Sadly, it has much more to do with who else is playing those weeks. With the other teams playing conference champ games a lot of TV slots are already filled up the last week of the season. Having a bye that week can mean getting a better TV slot earlier in the season.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
What good does a bye do in week 2 though?
We have no one to blame but ourselves for scheduling it that way. Someone was going to lose out of Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Iowa State and it wasn't going to be Oklahoma or West Virginia more than likely.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Let's just be glad we aren't Texas. 5 straight weeks of either a bye or road game. That would suck.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Let's just be glad we aren't Texas. 5 straight weeks of either a bye or road game. That would suck.

Texas-OU is hardly a road game for UT. But I agree it would be strange to be away from the home stadium for that stretch.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
The Big IIXII won't send a Texas team to Iowa at the end of November.

Ever.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I thought the answer was simple. because we're playing West Virginia at the end of the season.

Except that we're not. December 7 is the last week of the season. I see a big empty slot under our name for that day.

It's a 15 week season, and we only have 12 games. Thus 3 bye weeks. The short answer is that the ISU/KU game could have easily been moved to the week of Dec 7, but since no one really cares (TV included), it wasn't worth the effort.

Same can be said for ISU/WV, KSU/KU, and a host of other games that could have been moved to the last week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron