Philly WR Cooper racial slur and McCoy's reaction

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Not sure i understand McCoy as well as you do....

Here's an article from a black writer that covers the chargers....interesting perspective and appreciate the challenge to the situation rather then the high road of banishing Cooper for his idiotic comments.

A black man’s perspective of the Riley Cooper story | BoltBlitz.com

Great read. I think the word gets thrown around too much by white and black people alike (and saying it at all is too much) Cooper was very dumb to say what he said but I think this whole story got kind of blown out of proportion

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Cooper is seeking "counseling" now after this? I'm not saying it's an okay thing for him to say, but this makes it sound like he's mentally unstable. It's been blown way out of proportion.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Cooper is seeking "counseling" now after this? I'm not saying it's an okay thing for him to say, but this makes it sound like he's mentally unstable. It's been blown way out of proportion.

Exactly

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I think Cooper is a piece of trash, but that "word" is heard probably hundreds of times a week in the locker room between the music being played and the players themselves saying it.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Even Jason Whitlock, king of "That's Racist!!!" is saying everybody does it, he gave a sincere apology, let it go.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010

I'm sure it's just a way for him to make it look like he's really sorry and trying to change. But I totally agree with this. Complete non-issue. Yeah, he should't have said it, and it's unlucky that it was caught on camera, but really who hasn't said something they know they shouldn't have. Just another example of today's media..

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
It is unfair to judge someone based on one drunken altercation and angry words. However, you cannot just dismiss it by saying people say other rascist things all the time so this is ok. Unless you are a minority you have no idea how a racial slur makes you feel. you shouldn't say them period, against any person.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Just Joe B@JoeB_OandBP22h
LeSean McCoy says he’s upset at Riley Cooper, I guess Riley should have pushed a woman off a bus or had followers attack his Baby’s Momma.

Yep, LeSean McCoy seems like a pretty ****** person. Cooper really shouldn't lose any sleep over not having his respect.

But this is probably Urban Meyer's fault, just like the whole Aaron Hernandez thing was his fault too.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
It's rediculous how out of proportion this stuff is getting. It's a bad word. However, none of these players had to suffer from when the word really meant something. It's just a way for everyone to get riled up now. I understand the older generation who went through the civil rights movement getting offended by it so easily. Not the guys who use it every other word and listen to music that uses it every other word. It's not offensive to them anymore. It's just a way to get on a pulpit and act offensive. i truly believe that.

I would not use it and it's not something that people should say. However, It's rediculous how blown up it's got. Counseling??? Seriously??? WTF

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can't decide where I come down on this. On one hand, I would imagine that "word" has become a part of the lexicon in an NFL locker room. I'm sure its used to the point where people become desensitized to its "meaning" and it has become colloquial. I know that race scholars wouldn't agree with me, but it seems a bit ridiculous to use the word as casually as many African American people do, and then to be so outraged when a white person uses it, but who am I to judge.

On the other hand, the way in which he used the word was ugly. This wasn't used in a colloquial fashion. Saying he will "fight every _______ here" is ugly and it is demonstrative of the usage of word that gives it the nasty connotation it has today.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I can't decide where I come down on this. On one hand, I would imagine that "word" has become a part of the lexicon in an NFL locker room. I'm sure its used to the point where people become desensitized to its "meaning" and it has become colloquial. I know that race scholars wouldn't agree with me, but it seems a bit ridiculous to use the word as casually as many African American people do, and then to be so outraged when a white person uses it, but who am I to judge.

On the other hand, the way in which he used the word was ugly. This wasn't used in a colloquial fashion. Saying he will "fight every _______ here" is ugly and it is demonstrative of the usage of word that gives it the nasty connotation it has today.

I agree 100%. It comes off as contrived anger. Like someone is looking for excuse to get riled up and overreact.

If you hate the word, don't use it. Don't use it. Ever.

I agree that Cooper's context was really bad, and he's probably a huge tool, but putting a bounty on him and blacklisting him seems like an overreaction.

Last edited: