Best Hope for a Win

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Saturday ISU faces a Kansas team team that faced a similar rebuilding on defense after having one of the best defenses in the the Big 12 last year. While both defenses have struggled in total and scoring defense, KU has once again put together a stout run defense. Kansas is 4th in the Big 12 in rushing defense and facing an ISU rush offense that ranks 10th in the league and is down a runner and a guard should continue to earn or even improve its ranking. Expect Scales/Johnson to struggle to deliver consistent yards Saturday putting the onus on our passing game.

The Jayhawks pass defense is their weakness. They are 7th in the league in pass efficiency defense, but do give up yards. In fact the pass yardage drags their total defensive yardage to last in the Big 12, one notch worse than ISU's. In the all important scoring defense they are 10th in the league. ISU will have an opportunity to put up some points via the air Saturday, but will need support from the offensive line. KU has the leagues 5th most sacks, while ISU gives up more sacks than any team in the Big 12 (by far). If Meyer is underpressure, watch out for Aquib Talib, who is second in the league and 19th nationally in interceptions. I expect Meyer to throw for over 300 yards Saturday, but will have drives stopped by sacks and perhaps and int or two.

Offensively the Jayhawks are 9th rated passing offensive will look to get healthy against ISU's 12th ranked pass defense. KU's rushing attack is 6th in the Big 12 and has nearly twice the yards that ISU's ground game has generated. Cornish averages 115ypg and is 2nd in the Big 12 in rushing. Expect KU to move the ball effectively against ISU as has been the norm. Expect more sustained drives with a stronger mix of run. Alvin, Tyrone, and Jon will have busy days and should continue to dominate the Big 12 tackle stats. Currently our LB's are 1,2 &5 in the league in tackles. Saturday KU will generate between 400 - 500 yards of offense.

While the Buffs are the weakest team remaining on our schedule, a loss at home this week will make a win on the road even more daunting. We really need a win this week if we are to avoid going winless in the Big 12.

We have a shot Saturday, but I think the passing games offset, and KU runs their way to victory in front of a surprisingly strong Jack Trice crowd.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Best hope for a win?

Hope for a snow storm to ground air traffic. Maybe the team will get in that morning just before kick-off and they'll be so worn out from the journey, it will be too tough to play.

Then again, let's be realistic. We better hope they decide not to show up and are willing to forefit.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
Here's what I would like to predict:

Iowa State puts on a great show at JTS and rallies from behind to tie the game, lets say 24-24. The game goes to overtime, and for the second year in a row, falls to Kansas in overtime. DMac thinks Kansas showed a "tremendous" effort and we "fell just short".

All I know is I will be rooting for my clones with a sweatshirt on saying fire D-Mac. As much as I like us winning some games, I would actually prefer losing - that way JP will just have to buy out his contract and let him go. DMac has maxed out, he is history in my book.

jperickson23

Apr 10, 2006
Des Moines

Iowa State puts on a great show at JTS and rallies from behind to tie the game, lets say 24-24. The game goes to overtime, and for the second year in a row, falls to Kansas in overtime. DMac thinks Kansas showed a "tremendous" effort and we "fell just short".

All I know is I will be rooting for my clones with a sweatshirt on saying fire D-Mac. As much as I like us winning some games, I would actually prefer losing - that way JP will just have to buy out his contract and let him go. DMac has maxed out, he is history in my book.

Aren't you the same guy that said in another thread that you would only go to the b-ball game Friday if it was free????

Pick another team dude. We really don't want "fans" like you.

matttupy

Apr 11, 2006
everybody says fire mac and thats fine. Just imagine if we had an experienced kicker for 04 and 05 all you mac haters would be praising him and his job would not be a question right now. Cotton has got to go but without mac as our coach the past 12 years isu would still be happy winning 3 games a year. So many isu fans are quick to say mac sucks - he does have a conservative play call and fails to take shots down field at times but hes a great leader who is one of the more respected guys in the big 12.

clonestotop

Aug 7, 2006

Your the dumbest fan of them all. Cuz your not a fan. Fan's don't want there team to lose. Lets see be an embarrassed fan of a 3-9 team or a fan of a 6-6 team but you hate the coach. I would rather hate the coach, and go 6-6. 6-6 is easier to build off of than 3-9. B/c of fans like you the rest of the season is a lose lose situation. Win out ( which we more than likely wont) and you complain cuz MAC keeps his job. Lose out and you complain cuz we suck. Win 2 out of 3 and all hell breaks lose b/c we dont go to bowl game and MAC still keeps his job. OOO NO

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
everybody says fire mac and thats fine. Just imagine if we had an experienced kicker for 04 and 05 all you mac haters would be praising him and his job would not be a question right now.

No, I wouldn't! I've never cared for his style of play. I will admit, he put a lot of life into this program, but I have never once considered him a "good" coach. If you want my opinon on who really drummed up the excitement for ISU football, it was Troy Davis. I'll give Mac credit for recruiting him, but, people started to come to see Troy, not Dan. If NU, CU and KSU were still as good as they used to be, those field goals wouldn't have mattered for squat. Despite those missed attempts, I think Dan is one of the luckiest coaches on the planet. Not only that his side of the conference has declined as his team got a little better, but, also for the fact that he still has a job after 12 years with the record he has. I'm sorry, but, I never bought into the Big Mac Attack. I've always found him to be a coach who lacks creativity, lacks thought and lacks the ability to coach to win a game rather than coaching not to lose.

scubapohl1

Jun 1, 2006
Panama City Beach, FL
We will blow out Kansas!

Travel to Colorado and trounce the Beefalos in a humiliating way.

Then we will lose in overtime to Mizzu on a last second field goal (after leading by as many as 21) to keep us out of a bowl game!!!!

Its an ISU tradition!!!!!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
i think we'll lose to all 3. I would love for the team to prove me wrong, but after having my eyes raped by such and ugly display of football down in Manhattan, I just don't see how these guys are gonna win one. hope they prove me wrong...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Lets take a look at the 4-5 Jayhawks...

N'west St W 49-18
La Monroe W 21-19
Toledo L 37-31
S Florida W 13-7
Nebraska L 39-32
Texas A&M L 21-18
Oklahoma St L 42-32
Baylor L 36-35
Colorado W 20-15

Each of their losses Kansas held a lead in the 2nd half...a couple of those games they had a nice lead (up by 17 over OSU midway through the 3rd and up on Baylor by 18, 6 minutes into the 4th). They lost an OT game at Nebraska to boot.

Kansas found a way to let these games slip through their fingers. It's plausable to say Kansas could in fact be 9-0 right now instead of 4-5. Yeah, I said it. Remind you of a particular team from the past?

Last edited:

clonestotop

Aug 7, 2006
Mac didnt recruit Davis. Davis may have put the fans in the seats but we still stunk when he was on the team. So Davis may have made things exciting but it wasnt for another 5 years after he left that the program was turned around

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Mac didnt recruit Davis. Davis may have put the fans in the seats but we still stunk when he was on the team. So Davis may have made things exciting but it wasnt for another 5 years after he left that the program was turned around

Even more so solidifying my point of not liking Mac. And as I've said countless times, I don't find it the least bit ironic our bowl appearances started to happen the same time NU, CU and KSU went on the downslide. Either way, I don't see us winning another game.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Wasn't trying to start another Mac thread, but actually have a conversation about how the game will go. So how about the assessment of the game???

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Well if you look at how both of these teams have played this year, the last few years and their overall mojo - this could be a game of hot potato.

It'll be real interesting to see how it comes out - me - I have no idea what to expect.

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
I don't have a prediction b/c I don't know who is playing. We could be playing with Van Winkle and no one would know it b/c of injuries.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If you want my opinon on who really drummed up the excitement for ISU football, it was Troy Davis. I'll give Mac credit for recruiting him, but, people started to come to see Troy, not Dan.

FYI, Troy Davis was a Walden's recruit. Walden was fired after Troy's freshman year.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
We will blow out Kansas!

Travel to Colorado and trounce the Beefalos in a humiliating way.

Then we will lose in overtime to Mizzu on a last second field goal (after leading by as many as 21) to keep us out of a bowl game!!!!

Its an ISU tradition!!!!!

I could see this happening, win 2 games, with a chance to go to a bowl game, and then have our heart ripped out AGAIN!