Looking ahead to Next Year

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Offensively I think we will actually be fine, O-Line another year of Farniok, I think Dagel steps in and does a fine job
QB-Sam
RB- Trelle, White, Woody, Nealy, and Standard
WR- Quenton, Ecby, JQ(??) Gary, and West
TE-BRUN!

Defensively that's what kinda scares me, I think Miller, and George step in and do a great job.

Thoughts?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
QB - starter is returning:
Sam Richardson (RSo.)

RB - starters are returning:
James White (RSr.)
Jeff Woody (RSr.)
Shontrelle Johnson (Sr.)
DeVondrick Nealy (RSo.)

WR - guys with experience are returning:
Albert Gary (RSr.)
Jarvis West (RJr.)
Quenton Bundrage (RSo.)
Tad Ecby (RSo.)

TE - starter is returning:
Ernst Brun (RSr.)

OL - three starters and some guys with experience are returning:
Tom Farniok (RJr.)
Kyle Lichtenberg (RSr.)
Ethan Tuftee (RSr.)
Jacob Gannon (RJr.)
One more guy to play tackle

Defense scares me more so I'm not going to go through it... but the offense sure looks good! :yes:

Last edited:

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I was very encouraged yesterday. We were without Knott, Givens, Watson and Burris. All but Watson are gone after this year. We played young on both sides of the ball yesterday and should have beat a team that took OU to the wire last week. I hate we only have 6 home games next season but this team seems to play better on the road.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
QB - starter is returning:
Sam Richardson (RSo.)

RB - starters are returning:
James White (RSr.)
Jeff Woody (RSr.)
Shontrelle Johnson (Sr.)
DeVondrick Nealy (RSo.)

WR - guys with experience are returning:
Albert Gary (RSr.)
Jarvis West (RJr.)
Quenton Bundrage (RSo.)
Tad Ecby (RSo.)

TE - starter is returning:
Ernst Brun (RSr.)

OL - three starters and some guys with experience are returningL
Tom Farniok (RJr.)
Kyle Lichtenberg (RSr.)
Ethan Tuftee (RSr.)
Jacob Gannon (RJr.)
One more guy to play tackle

Defense scares me more so I'm not going to go through it... but the offense sure looks good! :yes:
We are set on all but defensive line next year but Aka, Scott, Woods, Morrisey, Kron, Cousins, Pompey makes this a deep line even before JUCO possibilities.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Offensively I think we will actually be fine, O-Line another year of Farniok, I think Dagel steps in and does a fine job
QB-Sam
RB- Trelle, White, Woody, Nealy, and Standard
WR- Quenton, Ecby, JQ(??) Gary, and West
TE-BRUN!

Defensively that's what kinda scares me, I think Miller, and George step in and do a great job.

Thoughts?

Roster wise this year was set up to be a bit of a peak year, but that was minimized due to the schedule, lack of QB, and injuries.

The offense could be better. The QB play will be better. Losing the tackles is tough, but we are already playing without Burris and improvement by the rest of the unit should make up for it. I would say who replaces Lenz, but we have been without so much already.

The defense was going to take a big step back, but unfortunately injuries have smoothed out the transition. The DBs will probably be around like they were last night. Perhaps a little better as Stokes improves and the redshirts and recruits fill in at safety and/or nickel. The Dline will not be as good, but the future there is solid.
Frankly, I think the LB play will be about as bad as we have had in 10 years

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
The best thing about our Oline is that Lichtenberg and Gannon I believe are both natural tackles according to CPR on the Applebees show. It is much easier to play a young lineman on the interior than it is to put them on the edge IMO. I think our Oline should be solid provided it gels correctly, but that is the case every year.

I am a little worried about our LB position in our base defense. George is obviously going to be a great player for us, Broomfield comes back, but it will be interesting to see who plays in the other LB spot when we are in nickel. Also, I am not convinced that CJ Morgan is the answer at all for our base defense, hopefully someone steps up and takes the position. Basically those two LB spots and the SS position are all I am terribly worried about. I think our Dline will continue to improve and I think this year's true freshman class of dlinemen is very, very good.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Roster wise this year was set up to be a bit of a peak year, but that was minimized due to the schedule, lack of QB, and injuries.

The offense could be better. The QB play will be better. Losing the tackles is tough, but we are already playing without Burris and improvement by the rest of the unit should make up for it. I would say who replaces Lenz, but we have been without so much already.

The defense was going to take a big step back, but unfortunately injuries have smoothed out the transition. The DBs will probably be around like they were last night. Perhaps a little better as Stokes improves and the redshirts and recruits fill in at safety and/or nickel. The Dline will not be as good, but the future there is solid.
Frankly, I think the LB play will be about as bad as we have had in 10 years
You will never peak in anything unless you have a quarterback

Reactions: Rhoadhoused

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Offense will be better. Defense will take a step back, but that's to be expected when you lose as much as we do.

onenation

Jun 23, 2012
Iowa
wouldn't say im that concerned with the secondary. Washington, broomfield, watson plus a more experienced Brackens, Stokes, and Thomas. Agree with the post above about the defensive line.

offense:
QB: Richardson (maybe Rohach if he turns out to be incredible)

HB: White

WR: Jarvis West, Albert Gary, Quenton Bundrage (excited for this one, the kid can play) and maybe some guys redshirting this year who knows

TE: brun

O-line: Brock Dagel, Ethan Tuftee, Kyle Lichtenberg, Tom Farinok and possibly Jamison Lalk but could just be dreaming

excited for this team next year now that its getting listed out, go clones!

Reactions: DesertClone1

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
We are set on all but defensive line next year but Aka, Scott, Woods, Morrisey, Kron, Cousins, Pompey makes this a deep line even before JUCO possibilities.

Don't forget DL Brandon Jensen and DE David Irving, and DL Collin Bevins, DL Mitchell Myers, and DL Austin Krick. And injured DE Devin Lemke.

I've never understood, though, how fans can discuss athletes who have yet to play a college game and opine that we are fine at those positions. To me, we fans are hopeful -- and not without reason -- that we'll be all right at certain positions despite low experience or no experience.

At DE, Aka (who CPR said recently will end up inside), and Lemke have zero experience. Has Kron played this fall, on special teams maybe?

At DL, Bevins, Cousin, Meyers, and Pompey have yet to play a down. How can we fans judge their abilities at this point? Did Krick get snaps this fall, anyone know?

Personally, I paid close attention when CPR said about the young defensive guys up front that we was not happy with them, he was thrilled with them. But zero Big 12 experience combined with their physical youthfulness, there's got to be some growing pains there when they take the field for the first time.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Don't forget DL Brandon Jensen and DE David Irving, and DL Collin Bevins, DL Mitchell Myers, and DL Austin Krick. And injured DE Devin Lemke.

I've never understood, though, how fans can discuss athletes who have yet to play a college game and opine that we are fine at those positions. To me, we fans are hopeful -- and not without reason -- that we'll be all right at certain positions despite low experience or no experience.

At DE, Aka (who CPR said recently will end up inside), and Lemke have zero experience. Has Kron played this fall, on special teams maybe?

At DL, Bevins, Cousin, Meyers, and Pompey have yet to play a down. How can we fans judge their abilities at this point? Did Krick get snaps this fall, anyone know?

Personally, I paid close attention when CPR said about the young defensive guys up front that we was not happy with them, he was thrilled with them. But zero Big 12 experience combined with their physical youthfulness, there's got to be some growing pains there when they take the field for the first time.

Compared to what we have had in the past, our Dline will not be all that physically youthfull. These guys are big will have been in the program for almost two years when they get in to play.

Also, I evaluate them against our current defensive line. Are we losing a ton of production or something special that is difficult to replace? I don't think so. McDonough shined in non conference and held his own in the Big 12. He will likely be the toughest to replace. Maggit and Laing were both solid, but nothing special. I think ISU this year has about 12 guys on the Dline that can play solidly in the Big 12, but nobody who really stood out as a huge playmaker or as a guy defenses had to gameplan around.

I expect these freshmen to come in and be solid and maybe one or two to eventually develop into a playmaker, but they don't have to be huge playmakers to maintain the level that the line played at this year.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Compared to what we have had in the past, our Dline will not be all that physically youthfull. These guys are big will have been in the program for almost two years when they get in to play.

I expect these freshmen to come in and be solid and maybe one or two to eventually develop into a playmaker, but they don't have to be huge playmakers to maintain the level that the line played at this year.
The returning guys will need to improve to maintain the play we saw this year. It is possible.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Does anybody see Barnett transferring? Being that he has now been passed up by someone that is younger than him and the possibility that a redshirt this year would possibly be higher on the depth chart... He has won some big games here but his inconsistency is his crutch. I think he could be a pretty good, consistent qb in the MAC/CUSA.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Also, I evaluate them against our current defensive line. . . .

But, what information do you use to make that evaluation? The current defensive line you can evaluate from observing them play. But, if you haven't seen the youngsters play? . . .

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
But, what information do you use to make that evaluation? The current defensive line you can evaluate from observing them play. But, if you haven't seen the youngsters play? . . .
Raw talent of freshman>>>>>>raw talent of these Seniors as freshman

Help Support Us

Become a patron