Lincoln

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Thoughts? Saw it last night. Guessing that Daniel Day-Lewis might have the Oscar wrapped up.

Was surprised at the narrow subject matter, not at all what I expected, but strong film.

James Spader was awesome. Personally, could have done with less Sally Fields and would have liked to see someone else cast in the role of Mary Todd, but she actually does almost look the part.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
This one looks very interesting to me and I want to see. Lot of talent in the film and Steven Spielburg is....Steven Spielburg.

Lincoln is such a huge figure in American History. Really a bit surprised there haven't been more films on him.

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I saw it with my mom who's a history junkie and she loved it despite it's only being semi-historically accurate. I thought it was really good as well. Daniel Day Lewis played lincoln perfectly.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I loved it, even if it's a bit soft on the history details. one of the first scenes they have a flag with at least 48 stars on it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I saw it with my mom who's a history junkie and she loved it despite it's only being semi-historically accurate. I thought it was really good as well. Daniel Day Lewis played lincoln perfectly.

I hate when they embellish historical films for contemporary sensibilities. The unvarnished truth is usually way more interesting.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I hate when they embellish historical films for contemporary sensibilities. The unvarnished truth is usually way more interesting.

No kidding; with such a monumental figure like Lincoln, it's not like historical sources are sparse. Why does Spielberg feel the need to rewrite history? Oliver Stone and Scorsese do the same dang thing. Cut the crap.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
tumblr_mdpi6ivPEq1qh5nbjo1_400.jpg

Reactions: ISUCY23

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Day-Lewis taking the role tells me this is probably pretty good. He doesn't usually take crap roles.

Tarbox

Jan 3, 2008
Boulder, CO
www.kccq.com
No kidding; with such a monumental figure like Lincoln, it's not like historical sources are sparse. Why does Spielberg feel the need to rewrite history? Oliver Stone and Scorsese do the same dang thing. Cut the crap.
CAN.NOT.ROLL.EYES.ANY.HARDER

Lol, what was rewritten exactly, professor?

Also, FWIW Sr Spielbergo didn't write the screenplay..

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
CAN.NOT.ROLL.EYES.ANY.HARDER

Lol, what was rewritten exactly, professor?

Also, FWIW Sr Spielbergo didn't write the screenplay..

Agreed, it is hard to know exactly how history went down as witness accounts to any recent event. Forty-eight stars on a flag was mentioned earlier but the flag was on scene so briefly I couldn't count the rows and columns and guessed it was incorrect. My wife has encyclopedic knowledge of all presidents and loved the feel of the movie and felt that the Daniel Day Lewis was most authentic from her view and the best of any portrayal of Lincoln. Worth seeing and the scope is narrow or else it would have been more than 2 1/2 hour epic and a desultory mosaic.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Agreed, it is hard to know exactly how history went down as witness accounts to any recent event. Forty-eight stars on a flag was mentioned earlier but the flag was on scene so briefly I couldn't count the rows and columns and guessed it was incorrect. My wife has encyclopedic knowledge of all presidents and loved the feel of the movie and felt that the Daniel Day Lewis was most authentic from her view and the best of any portrayal of Lincoln. Worth seeing and the scope is narrow or else it would have been more than 2 1/2 hour epic and a desultory mosaic.
Did she know Bill C?

D

DistrictCyclone

Thoughts? Saw it last night. Guessing that Daniel Day-Lewis might have the Oscar wrapped up.

Was surprised at the narrow subject matter, not at all what I expected, but strong film.

James Spader was awesome. Personally, could have done with less Sally Fields and would have liked to see someone else cast in the role of Mary Todd, but she actually does almost look the part.

I think he'll probably win, too, but I expect some stiff competition from Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, both for The Master. Weird-*** movie, but their acting in it was incredible.

Bluffers

Sep 16, 2009
Ames
I appreciated the humor of Lincoln which has been lost by many historians. This is a must see movie which will win many awards. I felt the freedoms taken by the screenwriters are not a rewriting as much as a new interpretation of the events of history. The politics of our early years would make many folks blush today by comparison. The story telling, the winsomeness, and the intelectual focus of the man was incredable and the country loved him, even as many writers today work to discredit and write a negitive revisionst history of the events surrounding his life.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron