***OFFICIAL BIG 12 EXPANSION THREAD 2.0***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Basically, your TV money belong to the conference regardless of it you actually in the conference. And if you are not in the conference, you don't get a dime. Do I have that right? Trying to tell someone at the ACC school I attend why it is superior to a large buyout.

Correct. Conference owns your TV value regardless of conference affiliation.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
Basically, your TV money belong to the conference regardless of it you actually in the conference. And if you are not in the conference, you don't get a dime. Do I have that right? Trying to tell someone at the ACC school I attend why it is superior to a large buyout.

That is true for the 1st and 2nd tier rights. Everyone keeps their own 3rd tier. So like if Texas left they would keep the money from their Longhorn Network.

Nov 6, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
That is true for the 1st and 2nd tier rights. Everyone keeps their own 3rd tier. So like if Texas left they would keep the money from their Longhorn Network.

Right, just trying to get through baby steps right now. The VT message board is funny, lots of doom and gloom. Glad to see ISU will probably not be in that boat this time.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
Anybody know when the ACC $50 million buy-out goes into effect for Pitt? Pitt's not as flashy as FSU, but adding L'ville and Pitt seems like it would help flesh out the Big 12's eastward expansion, bring somewhat driveable games for us ISU fans, bring back the backyard brawl, and pick up some nice TV real estate. Plus Pitt, as a university, is a much better get, academically, than FSU.

That said, I'd still rather get FSU if the option is available just for recruitment purposes.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
shaggybevo has someone saying the goal is not 16 but 20 and that the networks want 3 20 team "leagues" for which there would be 2 from each league in the 6 team playoff. fwiw.

That sounds awful, just awful.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Cool, thanks guys. I knew it had to do with tv money being forfeited, I just couldn't come up with the acronym. Thanks again!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
shaggybevo has someone saying the goal is not 16 but 20 and that the networks want 3 20 team "leagues" for which there would be 2 from each league in the 6 team playoff. fwiw.

That just sounds like someone who was 100% convinced that the 4 16-team superconferences were going to be the Big 10, ACC, SEC, and Pac 16, brining about the imminent destruction of the Big 12, and was about as far wrong in throwing **** at the wall as one could get. The Big 12 not only is surviving, but is thriving. The Pac 12 has no shot at getting to 16 unless it invites MWC teams or jumps the shark even worse than adding Texas and Oklahoma would have. And the ACC, the conference that once and for all was to prove itself superior to the Big East in every single way, is now only going to do so because it is going to have to become what the Big East was just to survive Confrageddon at all.

Essentially, this guy that Bevo is featuring is so butthurt he's now resorting to throwing his own diarrhea at the wall just because he likes the color brown.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
My turn with the carving knife:

Suppose the Big 12 were of the mindset to throw a life line to the ACC and offer to bring 6 teams over as a block to allow them to maintain some cultural connectivity to one another. Which six ACC teams would be taken if they could have any of those left? In order from greatest football value to the least...

FSU
VT
Clemson
GT
UNC
NCSU

This would leave Wake, Duke, UVA, Miami, Syracuse, BC, and Pitt to merge with Louisville, UConn, Temple, Cincy, and South Florida as the remnants of those two leagues. While a clear step down, it seems like a group that belongs together football-wise. Add in Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova, Providence, Marquette, and St. Johns in basketball and you have a significant product to sell to TV.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-acc-blog480.png

This is the chart of value of ACC football schools showing their relative number of fans according to NY Times blogger Nate Silver. Interesting that the top 6 still available by fan base would not include Florida State....

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
At first I thought that the Florida State number must be wrong, but then I realized it came from Nate Silver...

D

DistrictCyclone

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-acc-blog480.png

This is the chart of value of ACC football schools showing their relative number of fans according to NY Times blogger Nate Silver. Interesting that the top 6 still available by fan base would not include Florida State....

Wow clemson and florida state surprise me.

The big flaw in Silver's methodology (using Google search volume as a proxy for the number of football fans in a media market) is that it assumes fans of each football team have equal access to a computer and the internet. If you've ever been to the Florida panhandle, you'd know this was not the case...some of those yokels wouldn't know what a computer was if you dropped it on the hood of their El Camino. Hence why it looks as if FSU has relatively few fans.

Semi-:jimlad:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There were a lot of other questionable things about those numbers the last time they came up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.