D-Line

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpunOut

Jun 5, 2007
I was not able to watch the game over because of a DirectTv flub, made little attempt to see who was in on the Dline while at the game, and had trouble reading numbers when I was not using binocs, but I had a few observations that I wanted to bring up for those of you who can shed light on what I think I noticed. Laing and McDonough got a ton of the interior snaps in the first half, then they started to sub, in the second half, particularly on the end positions. Seemed like we got more disruption when we had the second and third teamers in. Didn't Rony Nelson and one of the others get sacks? Irving disrupted a pass attempt, and overall they caused more chaos? If true, this bodes really well for the future, if our 2's can overtake our 1's. Am I wrong? Like I say, my impressions are based upon limited information.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
At the end our line was able to forget about defending the run so they got more pressure.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Rony Nelson has it made. He only gets in when it's an obvious passing situation. He doesn't have to be that disciplined and he gets to put up numbers. I almost feel bad for our other ends.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
We played 12 on the DL in a good rotation, which is an awesome luxury to have:

Maggit, McDonough, Laing, Scott started. At end Morrissey, Kron, Nelson and Irving all played well. In the middle I noticed Jensen, Woods and Simon playing, and Ben Durbin got in the game too although I didn't notice him.

I think it really says something about the depth at DL when a talented RS Freshman like Quinton Pompey can't get into the top 12 (although he did get into the game, I'm assuming on special teams).

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Within the list of players who actually participated, it stated Bevins played. Anyone know in what capacity he played? (Special teams, on 'D')

SpunOut

Jun 5, 2007
I saw Pompey in at least two plays.

We played 12 on the DL in a good rotation, which is an awesome luxury to have:

Maggit, McDonough, Laing, Scott started. At end Morrissey, Kron, Nelson and Irving all played well. In the middle I noticed Jensen, Woods and Simon playing, and Ben Durbin got in the game too although I didn't notice him.

I think it really says something about the depth at DL when a talented RS Freshman like Quinton Pompey can't get into the top 12 (although he did get into the game, I'm assuming on special teams).

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think the pass rush at the end was a combination of our DE's being fresh while their OL wasn't, and also they were passing more trying to score fast. Although, I believe Nelson is the best pass rusher on the team.