Landline vs no landline...

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Haven't had a landline in a decade. My family has my cell phone number. I signed up for a free Google Voice number to give out to utilities, student loans, etc. that forwards recorded messages to my Gmail account.

CysMyBoy

Oct 26, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm interested on everyone's thoughts as well. I don't plan on ever having a land line, and am even considering removing wiring in rooms that are being remodeled

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We have one, but not for long. The only people using it are telemarketers and politicians.

We've been ready for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger. With a baby on the way, I don't think this phone is a good idea for election season.

Overall, I don't see much benefit to having a landline anymore, unless you just like spending extra money.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I'm interested on everyone's thoughts as well. I don't plan on ever having a land line, and am even considering removing wiring in rooms that are being remodeled

If the wiring is exisiting, IMO its not a bad idea to leave it. What if that room becomes an office or the next owner needs an office?

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
We have one. My wife's aunt that watches the kids at times does not have a cell phone.
We got an additional line added to our cell account for this very purpose. It's like $10 a month with a free phone. We programmed our numbers and friend's numbers into the phone. Told our friends if you ever get a call from this number, answer it at all costs.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We have one, but not for long. The only people using it are telemarketers and politicians.

We've been ready for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger. With a baby on the way, I don't think this phone is a good idea for election season.

Overall, I don't see much benefit to having a landline anymore, unless you just like spending extra money.
But then what will the politicians call?? Won't someone think of the politicians!?!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Girlfriend has one simply because it's free with her other crap from Mediacom. It'll be going away more than likely within the next year.

I still can't believe some brilliant mind at Iowa State decided to keep landlines in Freddy Court versus spending that money on making Freddy wireless. The students who advised that should all have been shot.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We had to have one for our internet service for a while, so we got one for the first time in about 8 years. We switched to cable internet, so we just disconnected it again.

If we ever decide to have a babysitter who doesn't have a cell phone (which seems unlikely, we've only ever had family), we'd probably just leave one of our cell phones at home, and show the babysitter how to call the other person's. That is the only need I see for a land line.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
We got rid of the landline about a year ago had the landline number ported over/added to our cell plan. I bought a used cell phone off of ebay for the line. Since the utilities/financial institutions/etc all had that home number, I didn't want to go through the hassle of changing that number.

Our cordless phone set has a Bluetooth feature that allows it to be paired with a cellphone, so we can still use the cordless phones to answer/call out on the cell phone.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I held out for a several years because I need a fax and we have a security alarm. Then ADT finally presented a solution where the security alarm basically runs off of a cellular device they installed and I got an eFax that I share with someone else in my business (it costs about $15/mo between two of us).

I've been without a land line for about 6 months now and have absolutely ZERO regret. In fact prior to this thread, I don't think I even realized it was gone. We rarely used it anyway.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I use an Obi Hai box. I actually have two of them, one for my home office and one for my home. They work with Google voice and the only cost so far is the cost for the initial hardware (about $40 ea.). They might actually make one now with two lines in it. In any case, I have a low voltage closet and hooked them up to my cable internet router, and tied them into my phone lines. It's like having a land line without paying for it. Also, the google voice messages are transcribed and sent to me via email, which is handy for both home and work. (they can also be set up to forward to you as text messages on your cell phone). Frankly, the only downsides from a traditional landline is a) won't work if the power or cable goes out, and b) I cannot dial 911 on it. If we ever need it, we'll just use our cell phones for the 911.

cychhosis

May 12, 2006
S.E. Iowa
Gone for about a year, the wife had the home number switched to her cell phone, so utilities and the like still have us in their systems. No regrets.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Then ADT finally presented a solution where the security alarm basically runs off of a cellular device they installed

Within the last year, most of the alarm companies that service the houses in this area have been asking customers to switch to the cellular alarms. Apparently the thieves have figured out that it's pretty simple to walk up to the dmarc box and unplug the phone service.

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
I held out for a several years because I need a fax and we have a security alarm. Then ADT finally presented a solution where the security alarm basically runs off of a cellular device they installed and I got an eFax that I share with someone else in my business (it costs about $15/mo between two of us).

ADT: thanks for the information. That's how my next place will be security protected.

The bundle of telephone, TV and Internet plus ADT is nearly $200/month. Now I can knock off $20-$30/month for the landline that I refused to answer because it was only solicitors at 5:00pm and politicians all day and night.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Within the last year, most of the alarm companies that service the houses in this area have been asking customers to switch to the cellular alarms. Apparently the thieves have figured out that it's pretty simple to walk up to the dmarc box and unplug the phone service.

Yes, I've had no problems with it whatsoever. The cellular box resides inside my home. It will alert you if there is an outage of cellular service and that hasn't happened once since we switched.