A Dog's Purpose (for dog lovers)

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Here's why I get so upset over animal neglect/abuse.

These animals have no voice. That's why my wife amazes me more and more every day as a veterinarian. If somebody brings a sick dog into her, the dog can't explain what is hurting, how long it has been in pain or anything of that nature.

Most of the time, a human being can do that.

By no means am I trying to state that an animal life is more important to that of a human being - but animals are God's creatures too. They deserve a voice if they are being mistreated.

I guess I'm just really disgusted that I posted that specifically for animal lovers (it even says so in the title) and one person has managed to turn the thread into a negative.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009

These animals have no voice. That's why my wife amazes me more and more every day as a veterinarian. If somebody brings a sick dog into her, the dog can't explain what is hurting, how long it has been in pain or anything of that nature.

By no means am I trying to state that an animal life is more important to that of a human being - but animals are God's creatures too. They deserve a voice if they are being mistreated.

I guess I'm just really disgusted that I posted that specifically for animal lovers (it even says so in the title) and one person has managed to turn the thread into a negative.

Agreed! Dogs are amazing and how this thread turned into lets find the CF who made that comment and whip his @$$ is beyond me:skeptical:

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
To try and combat some of the negativity and sadness:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb92wQpPG-s]The world's most funny dog video - YouTube[/ame]

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
The family has had quite a few dogs over the years. I've had to shoot a couple for attacking the sheep (as in it killed a few) that are a big part of the busisness here. That's when it's not hard. Have a nice big black lab that's as nice as can be and she is very loyal. If I had to do something to her it would be very very hard.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Although the comments (some of my own as well) have a negative tone, take solace in the fact that clearly so many of us CF'ers share your compassion for animals.

Your veterinarian comments: well said...well said.

And to steal that other good idea:

funny-dog-pictures.jpg

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
The first sentence in this quote is the only part of your drivel that I will agree with. Yes, a dog is an animal, but just like a child, almost exclusively, there are no bad dogs, only bad owners and parents.

I am unfortunately one of those who have had a "bad" dog... My wife and I got a beagle from a southern iowa breeder (south of des moines, pushing misery). Of course, she (Willow) may have become "bad" based on her time at the kennel before we even got her but I suspect it was more a factor of poor breeding practices. We went through everything for 8 years with the dog. She had severe possession aggression and anxiety disorders from puppyhood. Worse, she was as bipolar as a dog can get. She could be sitting with you cuddled in a ball and if you moved she might snap at you. My wife and I had adapted and could handle her easily because we knew what to expect. We just couldn't trust her around others that weren't familiar. She was smarter than any dog I've ever had, which added to the problems as she could find ways to get in trouble, and then "defend" whatever prize she had. Thunderstorm, forget it, she'd pee on the floor and hide in the bathtub (if we were lucky she'd run to the tub first, then pee).

She could be the happiest dog, or the most viscous dog I've ever encountered. It was strange, and the multiple vets we took her to just eventually resigned to the fact that she wasn't right. We were in NYC, so believe, me the vets there went the extra mile ($$$). Willow was even on prozac for 6 months...

All in all, when my wife became pregnant, we knew it was time. Because of Willow's anxiety, we actually paid a premium to have the vet come to our apartment to euthanize her. We couldn't bear to bring her to the vet's because she acted like she thought we were going to murder her there every time we went (and this time we essentially were). Because neither of us wanted to do it, my wife made the appointment, and I had to stay while she went to work. Willow and I went to the off leash park that day. Of course, after 8 years of never looking at a stick, Willow played fetch with me... She was happy that day, which made it harder. I probably walked her for 6 hours letting her do the things she loved, came home to the vet waiting outside. Absolutely the hardest thing I've ever done was nod my head when the vet asked if I was ready. It took a few months to get to the point I didn't just tear up when I heard a beagle "howl" at the park. Now with 10.5 month old twins, I know it was the right thing, but it still is hard to think about. We still have our border collie/ pit bull rescue dog, and she's amazing, but I still miss the "good" side of Willow.

Reactions: ianoconnor

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I am unfortunately one of those who have had a "bad" dog... My wife and I got a beagle from a southern iowa breeder (south of des moines, pushing misery). Of course, she (Willow) may have become "bad" based on her time at the kennel before we even got her but I suspect it was more a factor of poor breeding practices. We went through everything for 8 years with the dog. She had severe possession aggression and anxiety disorders from puppyhood. Worse, she was as bipolar as a dog can get. She could be sitting with you cuddled in a ball and if you moved she might snap at you. My wife and I had adapted and could handle her easily because we knew what to expect. We just couldn't trust her around others that weren't familiar. She was smarter than any dog I've ever had, which added to the problems as she could find ways to get in trouble, and then "defend" whatever prize she had. Thunderstorm, forget it, she'd pee on the floor and hide in the bathtub (if we were lucky she'd run to the tub first, then pee).

She could be the happiest dog, or the most viscous dog I've ever encountered. It was strange, and the multiple vets we took her to just eventually resigned to the fact that she wasn't right. We were in NYC, so believe, me the vets there went the extra mile ($$$). Willow was even on prozac for 6 months...

All in all, when my wife became pregnant, we knew it was time. Because of Willow's anxiety, we actually paid a premium to have the vet come to our apartment to euthanize her. We couldn't bear to bring her to the vet's because she acted like she thought we were going to murder her there every time we went (and this time we essentially were). Because neither of us wanted to do it, my wife made the appointment, and I had to stay while she went to work. Willow and I went to the off leash park that day. Of course, after 8 years of never looking at a stick, Willow played fetch with me... She was happy that day, which made it harder. I probably walked her for 6 hours letting her do the things she loved, came home to the vet waiting outside. Absolutely the hardest thing I've ever done was nod my head when the vet asked if I was ready. It took a few months to get to the point I didn't just tear up when I heard a beagle "howl" at the park. Now with 10.5 month old twins, I know it was the right thing, but it still is hard to think about. We still have our border collie/ pit bull rescue dog, and she's amazing, but I still miss the "good" side of Willow.

You did the humane thing, good for you. I am sure that was hard, but you did what was best for your family and the dog.

I hate you though for making me tear up, again. :)

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Chris, you still didn't asnwer my question about favorite type of weiner dog.

Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner" dog guy. My in-laws had a mini-dachshund that we unfortunately had to put down earlier this year. A very sweet dog, so I'd go with that.

I'm more into big dogs. Golden retrievers are my favorite. I have a one-year old right now who besides my wife is the love of my life. Honestly, I'll probably own goldens for the rest of my life. She is fantastic. She's the most loyal dog I've ever seen. Wife wants to turn her into a therapy dog...She's pretty hyper still so we'll see how that goes. :cool:

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner" dog guy. My in-laws had a mini-dachshund that we unfortunately had to put down earlier this year. A very sweet dog, so I'd go with that.

I'm more into big dogs. Golden retrievers are my favorite. I have a one-year old right now who besides my wife is the love of my life. Honestly, I'll probably own goldens for the rest of my life. She is fantastic. She's the most loyal dog I've ever seen. Wife wants to turn her into a therapy dog...She's pretty hyper still so we'll see how that goes. :cool:
My parents have a golden (almost 2 years old) and it is amazingly friendly, and it has a great grin. Loves chasing frogs down by the pond though. Almost impossible to get her to come when it is in the water watching frogs though.

She loves being close to people,the vet says he has never seen a dog lean into him to be close to him even after giving a dog a shot.

TL:DR goldens rock

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames

Chris - part of your comment is now going to be included in Cycl1's sig. And it WILL include the weiner part.
EDIT: Cycl1 moves quickly...

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
My parents have a golden (almost 2 years old) and it is amazingly friendly, and it has a great grin. Loves chasing frogs down by the pond though. Almost impossible to get her to come when it is in the water watching frogs though.

She loves being close to people,the vet says he has never seen a dog lean into him to be close to him even after giving a dog a shot.

TL:DR goldens rock

Hey be careful with those frogs. I didn't know this until a year ago, but sometimes toads can be harmful to dogs if the dog puts one in their mouth. Toads at least. We had some friends over last year. The dogs were playing in the back yard. One of them must have licked a toad or something and started foaming at the mouth. We rinsed it out with water and all was well but Ash did some research and some toad/frog skin is like poison to a dog's mouth.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron