ESPN story

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
After reading that story, I want ISU to bury those yellow birds!!!:realmad::realmad::realmad:

Reading that story I could not help but imagination how awesome it would be for Cael to put that "crybaby" Gable in a cradle and show him who the best wrestler in the history of the NCAA is.

I got goosebumps, its going to be intense Sunday and I love it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It was written by the UI beat writer at the IC Press-Citizen. Maybe that's the source of your anger. :skeptical:

BugDoc

Feb 6, 2007
Corvallis, OR
"I think there are going to be quite a few brawls on Sunday," Perry said. "I'm not saying fights, but I think there will be a lot of good action, a lot of good wrestling and guys are going to get after it."

Interesting quote from the guy DQ from the meet on Saturday because he felt is necessary to choke a kid that was kicking his butt.

"Iowa State wrestling coach Cael Sanderson is hoping to upset the Hawkeyes."

ISU is ranked #1, so if anything it is Brands looking for the upset.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
If I remember the post match interview last year, Cael was asked about Gable flipping the bird, and he made a comment along the lines of "I am just gald that coach Douglas taught me better ethics and characteristics" Something like that, but it was a good shot at that other team.

I have often thought how awesome it would be to see Cael wrestle either one of those two!! That would be a great Pay-per-View!

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
"I think there are going to be quite a few brawls on Sunday," Perry said. "I'm not saying fights, but I think there will be a lot of good action, a lot of good wrestling and guys are going to get after it."

Interesting quote from the guy DQ from the meet on Saturday because he felt is necessary to choke a kid that was kicking his butt.

I noticed that also. I will be sitting in the front row, so I will get to see and hear alot of good stuff this weekend.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
i found that curious also.

I think he said that because he doesnt feel we are a number 1 team yet. Yeah we have the ranking but can we maintain it? Any match against top teams will be an upset. Cael said it the other day when he said (paraphrasing) It doesnt matter if we are number 1 now, it matters if we still are when the season end.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I can't remember who did it but I think there was an ESPN bit this summer that talked about all the greatest records in sports history about the time Bonds was going for the HR record. They listed Dan Gable's record for wrestling which is a big slap in the face to the man who NEVER lost a collegiate match. Cael has a gold medal to go with it, not sure why the writer picked Gable's 1 loss over Cael's none for that article.

I don't follow wrestling but I don't think anyone is doubting Pollard's move to put Cael in charge when some thought it was too early to do it. I've always thought how could anyone not want to wrestle for this guy when he's the only coach who can come into your living room and tell you he was undefeated as a wrestler. I think if I wanted to learn how to be the best I can I'd want to learn from the best and Cael obviously has that going for him that no one else can claim and it's showing already in our wrestling team.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

"Iowa State wrestling coach Cael Sanderson is hoping to upset the Hawkeyes."

ISU is ranked #1, so if anything it is Brands looking for the upset.
I also saw that quote under Cael's picture... probably just a mistake

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I can't wait for the first little bit of controversy, the coaches will go out to say something to the ref and end up yelling at the other coaches. THIS is what a true rivalry is all about. Bringing the wrestling power back home to the state of Iowa.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I can't remember who did it but I think there was an ESPN bit this summer that talked about all the greatest records in sports history about the time Bonds was going for the HR record. They listed Dan Gable's record for wrestling which is a big slap in the face to the man who NEVER lost a collegiate match. Cael has a gold medal to go with it, not sure why the writer picked Gable's 1 loss over Cael's none for that article.
quote]

To expand on that a while back the KGGO morning show was talking about a poll being taken that was curious to see what people thought was the greatest sports accomplishment in Iowa. Cael going undefeated was an option as was Gable winning a gold medal, and I don't remember the others. But all these tards kept calling in and saying it was Gable hands down because he won a gold medal. I couldn't figure it out because Cael went undefeated althrough college and ALSO won a gold medal.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I really hope that it was written by a UI reporter... besides this being the longest sentence ever...

"This is just the kind of plot Iowans envisioned in the spring of 2006 when both schools made coaching changes that rekindled the interest in a series that gripped the attention of the wrestling world throughout the 1980s before the Hawkeyes assembled a 30-meet winning streak over the Cyclones and both programs lost their stature as perennial national championship threats."

Since 1990 the hawks have won 30 straight? How many duals are scheduled with Iowa each year?

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
To expand on that a while back the KGGO morning show was talking about a poll being taken that was curious to see what people thought was the greatest sports accomplishment in Iowa. Cael going undefeated was an option as was Gable winning a gold medal, and I don't remember the others. But all these tards kept calling in and saying it was Gable hands down because he won a gold medal. I couldn't figure it out because Cael went undefeated althrough college and ALSO won a gold medal.

I think one of the biggest reasons people say Gable's gold medal is by the way he dominated every opponent. He gave up a total of 0 points on his way to getting the gold medal.

But I think it is hard to compare a week of dominance versus 4 years of dominance. But hey, at least we have a very good arguement with the 2 best ever wrestled for ISU.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
This ended in F'02. Keep in mind that we wrestle them once on the schedule and up to one or two times more each year at tournaments like Midlands.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
My dad was on the opposing side of a fist fight between two HS's in the CF/W'loo area out in a corn field. Long story short: he witnessed Gamble being knocked out from one punch and just one swing... knocked out flat and he was known and feared for his wrestling... he just didn't know how miss a right hook. The rest of the W'loo (E or W, not sure) tough guys left the scene right there after.

Last edited: