enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
The improvement of the Cyclone defense has been talked about quite a bit over the past month. Because of that and a request from my site I put this together comparing the improved performance from the games 1-6 to games 7-12.

I noted a lot of the interesting things (to me) but one thing I probably didn't point out is that the defense was far from terrible in the first 6 games for the most part (Missouri). They were faced with a lot of adversity due to the turnover prone offense and played very well to keep the team in games.

All of that said, the improvement of the scoring defense was staggering and that is especially so when you consider the offenses in the second half of the season were much more high scoring.

enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments | Cyclone Fanatic

I'd be interested in any comments and/or questions.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
The improvement of the Cyclone defense has been talked about quite a bit over the past month. Because of that and a request from my site I put this together comparing the improved performance from the games 1-6 to games 7-12.

I noted a lot of the interesting things (to me) but one thing I probably didn't point out is that the defense was far from terrible in the first 6 games for the most part (Missouri). They were faced with a lot of adversity due to the turnover prone offense and played very well to keep the team in games.

All of that said, the improvement of the scoring defense was staggering and that is especially so when you consider the offenses in the second half of the season were much more high scoring.

enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments | Cyclone Fanatic

I'd be interested in any comments and/or questions.

That is a lot of data. But...One thing I think would be interesting to see is:

First half versus Second half of season % of RedZone Appearances by our opponents that resulted in a stop by our D or FG instead of TD.

To me, without having the data, that seemed like the most notable difference between the two halfs of the year. We became very good at defending against the TD in the redzone (while perhaps giving up a FG but often times this was the "best" outcome".

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

First half versus Second half of season % of RedZone Appearances by our opponents that resulted in a stop by our D or FG instead of TD.

To me, without having the data, that seemed like the most notable difference between the two halfs of the year. We became very good at defending against the TD in the redzone (while perhaps giving up a FG but often times this was the "best" outcome".

I can get that for you...but it may be later today.

Thanks.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Is there any data available for the opponents average starting position for drives? I'm willing to bet that the first half of the year, the opponents averaged starting their possessions much closer to the end zone than they did in the second half of the year after Barnett took over.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Is there any data available for the opponents average starting position for drives? I'm willing to bet that the first half of the year, the opponents averaged starting their possessions much closer to the end zone than they did in the second half of the year after Barnett took over.

If there is I'd like to know where. I've looked quite a bit and come up empty handed so far. It would be useful for what you describe as well as a few other areas that I'd like to tabulate.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The kickoff returns looked better the second half as we put our speedy backs in charge such as Horne and others. When Lenz was injured, it seemed we replaced him with the dynamic duo.

We had some successful trick plays that turned the tide in possession game.

We had fewer penalties except for false starts and we at least attempted to even up the turnover battle.

We remained a good road team except against Missouri.

We added some better passing routes to JB as we broke him into his new postion.

It seemed like our three and outs went down during the season as JB managed to find a way.

An old theory is if you have more offensive production (JB had some 400-500 ypg leading the team), then the defensive yards given up decreases.

Last edited:

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

This RZ data DOES include OT possessions that made it inside the 20.

In games 1-6 this year, opponents were in the RZ 29 times and scored on 24 of those occasions (83%). 17 of those were TDs (59%) and the other 7 were FGs. Further, that means that 33% of opponents possessions made it to the RZ.

In games 7-12 opponents made it to the RZ 23 times and scored on 18 of those trips (79%). 8 of those scores were TD (35%) and the other 10 were FGs. And 30% of total possessions made it to the RZ.

So yes, a lot of your thought is true.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Khaal, good stuff as always. I've been thinking that this team could be the best team that ISU has had in recent memory. Best not record wise of course but how they performed against their schedule.

They might not be as good as those 70's team but from the 80's on this team has performed as good or better as any team I can remember. Even in the losses against ranked opponents they have been competitive which can't be said of the past teams even of those other teams that went bowling. I know those Dan McCarney teams in the 2000's had a good win totals but some of them only played a few ranked opponents so it is hard to compare record wise.

Wondering if you have some stats or analysis to show how this team stacks against the past bowling teams and where their place is in the history of ISU.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Khaal, good stuff as always. I've been thinking that this team could be the best team that ISU has had in recent memory. Best not record wise of course but how they performed against their schedule.

Wondering if you have some stats or analysis to show how this team stacks against the past bowling teams and where their place is in the history of ISU.

Thanks.

I have a ton of team stats that I could show you but I'm not really sure how that would equate to which teams were better, you know? I could just do the generic yardage and scoring numbers and that would about be it.

I don't currently have any SOS numbers, but could do a bit of research for the teams that went bowling. It wouldn't actually be a SOS but just the opponent's W-L record which would be a little telling but could also mean next to nothing since the conference team wins and losses just balance out.

I could also incorporate the # of games against ranked opponents...does any of that sound like what you're looking for? I could try to throw something together.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Thanks.

I have a ton of team stats that I could show you but I'm not really sure how that would equate to which teams were better, you know? I could just do the generic yardage and scoring numbers and that would about be it.

I don't currently have any SOS numbers, but could do a bit of research for the teams that went bowling. It wouldn't actually be a SOS but just the opponent's W-L record which would be a little telling but could also mean next to nothing since the conference team wins and losses just balance out.

I could also incorporate the # of games against ranked opponents...does any of that sound like what you're looking for? I could try to throw something together.

Yes that might work. I was just thinking that this team's record won't reflect just how good this team is due to the SOS. Maybe something that shows the win/loss of opposing teams and rankings versus margin of victory/defeat and compare it to other ISU teams that went bowling.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If there is I'd like to know where. I've looked quite a bit and come up empty handed so far. It would be useful for what you describe as well as a few other areas that I'd like to tabulate.

I guess you could look at drive by drive summaries for each game and see where each of the opponents drives started.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
This RZ data DOES include OT possessions that made it inside the 20.

In games 1-6 this year, opponents were in the RZ 29 times and scored on 24 of those occasions (83%). 17 of those were TDs (59%) and the other 7 were FGs. Further, that means that 33% of opponents possessions made it to the RZ.

In games 7-12 opponents made it to the RZ 23 times and scored on 18 of those trips (79%). 8 of those scores were TD (35%) and the other 10 were FGs. And 30% of total possessions made it to the RZ.

So yes, a lot of your thought is true.

Cool. This could be described as the "bend but don't break" defense concept. We did give up yards but, as the year wore on, when the opponent got into the RZ, I felt better that it wasn't a guaranteed TD for them.

Good stuff! Thanks for the research!

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I guess you could look at drive by drive summaries for each game and see where each of the opponents drives started.

Yeah, that's kinda-sorta how I was going about this the first half of the season for just the Big 12 teams. Then I found a method to do all of the NCAA in a little less time but I lost out on stuff like that...but still efforting.

Cool. This could be described as the "bend but don't break" defense concept. We did give up yards but, as the year wore on, when the opponent got into the RZ, I felt better that it wasn't a guaranteed TD for them.

Good stuff! Thanks for the research!

Yep...I have been meaning to do a wrietup on "bend but don't break" defenses based off of yards allowed/point scored but I just haven't gotten to it yet.