Extra incentives to join the Cyclone Gridiron Club

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Passing along word from the Cyclone Gridiron Club here...

If you've been on the fence whether to join the Cyclone Gridiron Club or not, now is the time for a couple of reasons.

1 - Our good friends over at Wall Stickers & Decals - Shawn Johnson, Iowa Hawkeyes, Iowa State Cyclones is offering up a choice of an ISU window graphic including a full-color I-State window or a white I-State window graphic for every new member, starting at the member-only closed scrimmage on Aug. 20. On top of that, every new member that signs up for the club throughout the season will be entered into a drawing to win a set of ISU baggo boards! Great deal here folks.

2 - Remember that Aug. 20 is the day when we'll learn who Iowa State's starting QB will be in 2011. Here are some more details on a MEMBER-ONLY scrimmage that will take place that day.

- 4 p.m. start - Coach Rhoads will speak at 5:50 and the scrimmage will go down at 6.

- You can sign up online, but an Aug. 16th deadline exists for the scrimmage.

Let me know if you all want some more details and I'll contact some board members to figure out your questions.

Last edited:

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Not saying for sure, but I think they may test the live feed on the CyMAX Storm Tracker as well...

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
If you've been on the fence whether to join the Cyclone Gridiron Club or not, now is the time for a couple of reasons.

1 - Our good friends over at Wall Stickers & Decals - Shawn Johnson, Iowa Hawkeyes, Iowa State Cyclones is offering up a choice of an ISU window graphic including a full-color I-State window or a white I-State window graphic for every new member, starting at the member-only closed scrimmage on Aug. 20. On top of that, every new member that signs up for the club throughout the season will be entered into a drawing to win a set of ISU baggo boards! Great deal here folks.

2 - Remember that Aug. 20 is the day when we'll learn who Iowa State's starting QB will be in 2011. Here are some more details on a MEMBER-ONLY scrimmage that will take place that day.

- 4 p.m. start - Coach Rhoads will speak at 5:50 and the scrimmage will go down at 6.

- You can sign up online, but an Aug. 16th deadline exists for the scrimmage.

Let me know if you all want some more details and I'll contact some board members to figure out your questions.

CycloneFanatic.com says, "they are dedicated to being the #1 website in suporting ISU ..." Accordingly, ".....the site averages 100,000 unique visitors ... a month." (WOW?!)

Chris, isn't it time to get serious about supporting the Gridiron Club?

Develop a co-op promotion where everyone gives $100 to Cyclone Fanatic and they pass $50 to the Gridiron Club. (These Fanatic members could have premium features/..or not.) If just 10% of the 100,000 viewers gave their support, that would be (um..$1/2 mil to the Gridiron and $1/2 mil to you......) a lotta money.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Will they name the starter before the scrimmage starts like when Rhoads is talking?

My guess would be that you will find out at the first snap of the ball. Usually he just talks about how practice has been going thus far. and thanks everyone for their support.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I was disappointed to see the scrimmage cost extra money to attend beyond just the membership dues.

I can understand for the food and all (if you are going to eat), but if you just want to attend the scrimmage I'm not sure that you should have to pay more.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
I was disappointed to see the scrimmage cost extra money to attend beyond just the membership dues.

I can understand for the food and all (if you are going to eat), but if you just want to attend the scrimmage I'm not sure that you should have to pay more.

also good info...

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs

I agree with you on this, however...

I am a re-elected board member for a nonprofit (Not the GC) and pay the same yearly membership fee like everyone else has too. Even though I pay my yearly fee for my membership and serve as a board member, I have to pay for luncheons and special speakers when I attend events as the same as other members regardless if I take full advantage of everything at the event. Non-members pay more or are not invited to certain events so exclusivity is part of the benefit of the membership. It is a membership, not an ownership.

So the benefit is, I pay at a lower rate than a non-member would due to my membership, not position and may get opportunities that the non-members do not. Sounds like the GC is similar, however, not sure how the board works.

So I think it stinks, yet I think it is just part of how a NP’s work with fundraising and hopefully supporting a good cause.

Z

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Are you serious? It's $10 a person! Heaven forbid you part with an extra $10. Imagine the horror of paying $50 to attend the Albaugh outing (non golf)! If $10 is that meaningful to you, I'd advise you to become a Drake fan.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Are you serious? It's $10 a person! Heaven forbid you part with an extra $10. Imagine the horror of paying $50 to attend the Albaugh outing (non golf)! If $10 is that meaningful to you, I'd advise you to become a Drake fan.

I doubt that is the point Frak, but carry on.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA

Step away from the ledge . . . . .:eek:

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I doubt that is the point Frak, but carry on.

It absolutely is not the point, but let him freak out. I don't care about the money. I spend alot of money supporting ISU. It is more about convenience for me. I'd just rather see it be included as part of the annual membership fee. The Gridiron events are pretty much the same from year to year so I'd think you could plan for the costs and put them in the membership fee (or at least have an option to have them in there).

Obviously things like a bowl trip, etc would be extra.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
My guess would be that you will find out at the first snap of the ball. Usually he just talks about how practice has been going thus far. and thanks everyone for their support.

So do people really think that CPR is just going to come out and name a QB BEFORE the scrimmage? Let's get real here. This is the biggest scrimmage of the fall and he's NOT going to just go out and name a QB before the big test. He's going to let the scrimmage play out, then go back and watch the film, then probably announce it at the Monday press conference.

CGC members will probably have a good idea of who he's going to name, but don't expect anything to come from the staff until after they've studied the film.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It absolutely is not the point, but let him freak out. I don't care about the money. I spend alot of money supporting ISU. It is more about convenience for me. I'd just rather see it be included as part of the annual membership fee. The Gridiron events are pretty much the same from year to year so I'd think you could plan for the costs and put them in the membership fee (or at least have an option to have them in there).

Obviously things like a bowl trip, etc would be extra.

OK...think it through then. You are a club trying to raise money for ISU FB. Would you up the entry fee for every single member to cover ALL of the events that they promote? So instead of paying $100, they need to pay $100 + $10 for this scrimmage + $20 for the signing day event + 50 for the Albaugh outing + $15 for the spring game tailgate + 50 for the coaches picnic?? This just in, not all members are able to attend all events. You probably shouldn't charge them like they are.

I guess that it's been a long time since I was "disappointed" to pay $10 for anything that I would enjoy watching. I'm happy to pull a ten dollar bill (or $20 or $50) out of my pocket to watch something like this. If you want to call that freaking out, whatever.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007

Why doesn't this whiner get a tin cup and stand outside the event and beg like all the other crybabies who can't afford $10. Besides, he probably isn't even a member of the Gridiron Club because he won't afford it, so his whining is a moot point. He's not getting in.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
So do people really think that CPR is just going to come out and name a QB BEFORE the scrimmage? Let's get real here. This is the biggest scrimmage of the fall and he's NOT going to just go out and name a QB before the big test. He's going to let the scrimmage play out, then go back and watch the film, then probably announce it at the Monday press conference.

CGC members will probably have a good idea of who he's going to name, but don't expect anything to come from the staff until after they've studied the film.

I believe he said he wanted to have a starter going into the scrimmage. That way the starter has a full scrimmage under their belt. Lets get real here. The longer the starter gets to work with his backs and receivers, the better off the team will be. I dont think he wants this to be a long drawn out process.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
OK...think it through then. You are a club trying to raise money for ISU FB. Would you up the entry fee for every single member to cover ALL of the events that they promote? So instead of paying $100, they need to pay $100 + $10 for this scrimmage + $20 for the signing day event + 50 for the Albaugh outing + $15 for the spring game tailgate + 50 for the coaches picnic?? This just in, not all members are able to attend all events. You probably shouldn't charge them like they are.

I guess that it's been a long time since I was "disappointed" to pay $10 for anything that I would enjoy watching. I'm happy to pull a ten dollar bill (or $20 or $50) out of my pocket to watch something like this. If you want to call that freaking out, whatever.

Are these types of outings the main benee of the Gridiron Club? How many alums live within 50 miles who can attend?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron