#1 Big Ten Icon: Red Grange

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Magic Johnson has been announced as #2, leaving only Grange left. Kinda think Jesse Owens should have been ahead of Magic also.
Wish the Big 12 did something like this - the BTN has done a really good job with this series.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I thought the series was a great idea and very well done.

There were a lot of Legends and Leaders on the list...

The series might have been well done, but to me it had too much of a "trying to give credence to the "Leaders and Legends" image they're hyping themselves with, and therefore giving credibility to the "Leaders" and "Legends" divisions everyone else in the nation is ripping them for.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Who would be number 1 in the big 12. Jack Trice would probably somewhere in the top 25.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Looking back on history, it's hard not to have Jesse Owens at the top of that list considering what he did, where he did it, and what was going on there.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
I was actually upset that Kinnick came in at 7....I know that sounds homerish, but Kinnick is on the coin that is flipped before every Big Ten football game....It's tough to believe he shouldn't have been rated ahead of a guy like **** Butkus.

Hell, he won the Heisman OVER Tom Harmon in 1939 and Harmon placed 5th on the list ahead of Kinnick.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Looking back on history, it's hard not to have Jesse Owens at the top of that list considering what he did, where he did it, and what was going on there.

I was surprised he was not #2 or #1. Magic Johnson, while definitely deserving, doesn't have the sheer number of achievements that Owens acquired as a track star at tOSU (including setting 3 world records and tying a 4th in the span of 45 minutes at the Big Ten championships). And that's if you don't consider what he did in Berlin, in front of Hitler and the Nazis as achievements that took place as a student-athlete.

What did Magic do as a college athlete that outdoes that? At least Grange put up some huge numbers at a time you probably wouldn't expect players to do so.

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
I'm surprised it wasn't Jesse Owens, too. But If not for Red Grange being signed by George Halas, there wouldn't be a National Football League...

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
I'm surprised it wasn't Jesse Owens, too. But If not for Red Grange being signed by George Halas, there wouldn't be a National Football League...

Should that count as a personal achievement for Grange as a college student athlete?