MLB Catchers Painting Fingernails

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
This year I've noticed a few catchers painting their fingernails, some with even a neon glow-type color. I suppose it's easier for the pitcher to see the flash signals, but I don't recall seeing this last year; is it catching on ??

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
It seems to be catching on, but a lot of times I see the catchers just wearing neon or white colored rings on their fingers instead.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Speaking of signals, can any of you experts comment on the general code used by catchers - particularly with runners on second base?

They really flash a lot of fingers and go bach-n-forth from both thighs to indicate placement. I suppose if I could figure it out, I'd be as good as stealing from the pros.

But in general, what is the pattern the pitcher is looking for?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Speaking of signals, can any of you experts comment on the general code used by catchers - particularly with runners on second base?

They really flash a lot of fingers and go bach-n-forth from both thighs to indicate placement. I suppose if I could figure it out, I'd be as good as stealing from the pros.

But in general, what is the pattern the pitcher is looking for?

Can be looking for a certain signal (2nd, 3rd, last). Can be looking for the catcher to touch something if a simple pitcher (right leg = fastball automatically, left = offspeed). Can be something like the first sign with a wiggle is the pitch call. Just depends on the team/catcher.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Can be something like the first sign with a wiggle is the pitch call. Just depends on the team/catcher.

Yeah, thanks - I do see a lot of "wiggles" and wondered what that's about.

It's one way I get engaged in the game -trying to figure out catcher signals.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Can be looking for a certain signal (2nd, 3rd, last). Can be looking for the catcher to touch something if a simple pitcher (right leg = fastball automatically, left = offspeed). Can be something like the first sign with a wiggle is the pitch call. Just depends on the team/catcher.

So the "Ol' number one" ala Major League is a myth, then... :confused: