Highest rated recruit

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
What/who is the highest rated recruit we have ever had? I dont know how long recruiting services have been around, so I am not really sure how far back you would have to go.

Just off the top of my head i would think Seneca Wallace or possibly Troy Davis would be it, but i dont know of how to find out. Hoping someone on here is a recruiting guru.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
What/who is the highest rated recruit we have ever had? I dont know how long recruiting services have been around, so I am not really sure how far back you would have to go.

Just off the top of my head i would think Seneca Wallace or possibly Troy Davis would be it, but i dont know of how to find out. Hoping someone on here is a recruiting guru.

I think JERRY Moses (JJ's dad) was like the top recruit in the country, although they didn't have recruiting services back then like they do now.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mook

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Was Seneca even more than a 3 start considering he was a juco? This is going to be interesting since we've had our fair share of 4 stars that never quite lived up to the hype. Lot of our best players were mostly 2-3 star guys that developed into NFL type players.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
My roommate and I were actually debating this stuff the other night.

On that same note: Although we've had a handful of 4* (usually WR's), have we ever had even one 5* recruit?

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I would guess that Sedrick Johnson is probably pretty high on the list, at least within the past 10 years that I've been an ISU fan. He was a 4* with a very impressive offer list.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
Depends on who you go by. For Scout, probably Trent Flander out of Dowling in 05. He is the only non Juco 4 star since 2002.

For Rivals, probably Flynn, Hicks, and Sed., all non juco 4 star recruits.

I don't think Wallace was rated that high. He had a few teams offer at DB, but was not listed as a QB coming out of HS.

I don't remember the recruitment of TD that much, but I remember us screaming for him to get playing time his FR year, so he must have had some cred......

Actually, it may have been a kid that came to ISU to play a different sport. IIRC, Fred Hoiberg was the 3rd or 4th rated QB in his class, which would more than likely make him a solid 4 if not 5 star in today's recruiting.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

Probably Reggie Hayward in the modern era (in the last 15 years). Going back a little farther, Chris Boskey was also a very highly rated DT out of the Chicago area. I think he may have even been a Parade all-American.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Webster Patrick got a 5.9 rating from Rivals (tied with J.J. Bass for top spot from 2004-present), and was considered the #1 all-purpose back in the country.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
according to rivals (since 2002)

thanks i couldn't remember his name

webster patrick WOULD have been the highest rated with a #1 position rating and #95 national ranking. however, we likely got a commitment out of him because he was such a high academic risk and none of the big dogs offered.

sedrick johnson is the highest rated we have landed since 2002 with a position rating of #34 and a national rank at #235

no wonder we tend to dwell near or at the bottom of the big 12. 1 top 250 recruit landed in the past 8 years (and likely beyond)? not very good.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Trent Flander wasn't the only non-JUCO 4 star. I think the best recruit we have had straight out of HS was Paul Fischer. He was a high 4 star offensive tackle, back when Iowa was really bad, and we were alright.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Trent Flander wasn't the only non-JUCO 4 star. I think the best recruit we have had straight out of HS was Paul Fischer. He was a high 4 star offensive tackle, back when Iowa was really bad, and we were alright.

Thought the Fisher twins were from a JUCO in Utah?

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
List starts and ends with Jerry Moses. If recruiting services were around back then, this wouldn't even be a question. Injuries robbed him of his career, otherwise more people would know of him.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Were they? You may be right. It is possible that we have lived off of JUCO talent for our entire existence. Austin Flynn was a 4 star HS though.

I believe Stevie Hicks and Jason Scales were 4-star high schoolers as well.