The Who/Super Bowl XLIV

EddieISU

Aug 16, 2008
Waukee "The Key", iowa
Just saw the promo on NBC's Sunday Night Football. I totally forgot that they're playing this year. Any predictions on the songs they play? And who is the next American band or act to play the at the Super Bowl? Perhaps this is a pipe dream, but one of these years I would enjoy seeing Pearl Jam.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
I predict Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You, and Baba O'Reilly. My generation wouldn't seem appropriate with "Hope I die before I get old".

Hope they can still rock. Best concert I ever saw was when they played Hilton in 1980. I saw them at the UNI dome in 82 and they weren't near as good.

EddieISU

Aug 16, 2008
Waukee "The Key", iowa
I predict Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You, and Baba O'Reilly. My generation wouldn't seem appropriate with "Hope I die before I get old".

Hope they can still rock. Best concert I ever saw was when they played Hilton in 1980. I saw them at the UNI dome in 82 and they weren't near as good.
Baba O' Reilly for sure!

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Baba O'Riley
Who Are You
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again

Really couldn't imagine any others they would play except maybe Pinball Wizard and I Can See For Miles, but they don't fit like the others.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I really hope they do something new this year for the Super Bowl halftime show..

Im thinking washed up band..... stage with fireworks..... 100 dancers around the stage.... 100 fans up next to the stage cheering.... big inflatables dotting the field....

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I like The Who, but I can't stand the Superbowl halftime, or pregame for that matter. Give me some ****ing football, and leave all the other crap out of it.

I wish they would shorten up these things too. I just want to see the game.

With the Who playing, in Miami, will Horatio Caine come out on stage if they play Wont Get Fooled Again.

Maybe Hugh Fitzcairn will be there.

Hugh Fitzcairn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Baba O'Riley
Who Are You
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again

Really couldn't imagine any others they would play except maybe Pinball Wizard and I Can See For Miles, but they don't fit like the others.

Only problem with "Who Are You" is that it has a couple of F-bombs in it. I'm sure that they would/will just change the lyrics, but it totally kills the spirit of the song.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Squeeze Box.
5:15

Love Squeeze Box, but I'm guessing the innuendo is too thick for the halftime show. I'm guessing they'll go pretty watered-down.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I tought the class on The Who for History of Rock and Roll, just a feather in my cap I like to brag about.

They will probably play the songs everyone knows. There best song, and the song everyone has been trying to make for years, is I Can See For Miles but that won't make it because it is to slow. They will go for energy, so I'm assuming they will go in cronological order along the lines of:
My Generation
Baba O'Reilly
Who Are You

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I tought the class on The Who for History of Rock and Roll, just a feather in my cap I like to brag about.

They will probably play the songs everyone knows. There best song, and the song everyone has been trying to make for years, is I Can See For Miles but that won't make it because it is to slow. They will go for energy, so I'm assuming they will go in cronological order along the lines of:
My Generation
Baba O'Reilly
Who Are You

Ooh... I Can See for Miles is a fantastic song, but I have to give my favorite to Love Reign O'er Me. The timpanies at the beginning are awesome, and the orchestra is sweeping. It's also too slow for the show.

S

st8

name the last halftime show that didn't suck?? best I can really muster was getting to see a boob a few years back. other then that I can't recall anything in the past few years that wasn't aweful. U2 saving the earth one concert at a time makes me vomit, mick jagger all wrinkled and spray tanned looking like a giant old man walking around on stage, and all these classic rock shows of late are extemely tired. Honestly, I go reround on the food or do something else during the half hour or however long it takes for that thing to get over with. They need something new, like a man fighting a half dozen live bears with a pocket knife or some sort of running man variation. anything other then what they've had would be better. Maybe MTV shoud bring back the beavis and butthead halftime special!!

Last edited by a moderator:

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Love Squeeze Box, but I'm guessing the innuendo is too thick for the halftime show. I'm guessing they'll go pretty watered-down.

So they probably won't play Fiddle About. :wideeyed:

Seriously I would think they would play Who Are You and Won't Get Fooled Again. However, those 2 songs together are pretty long and they'd probably have to shorten up at least WGFA. They wouldn't have time for 3. They'd have to play something sorter like My Generation and Pinball Wizard to get 3 in.

I'd love it if they played The Real Me, but that probably isn't going to happen.

Reactions: Angie