Barta says only one offer made

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I'd say congrags to Iowa on a good hire (unfortunately). They went and got someone who has some validated success running with the big guys and building a program.

Seems like Lickliter is the direct opposite of Alford so it will be a welcome breath of air for Hawkeye fans at basketball games. It'll be interesting to see what kind of team he brings to Ames this fall.

thakeepa14

Jan 10, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Yeah, I agree. Average, and flirting with slightly above average, hire. But Barta up's the salary to make him seem more creditable. Not a bad idea, but anyone that doesn't pray to false idols (like the herky jerky) could tell that he ain't worth that....

And yeah, Barta gave ONE offer........to at least 6 people!

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
And yeah, Barta gave ONE offer........to at least 6 people!

It's not hard to believe only one offer was extended. In that type of business you are only going to extend an offer if it is pretty much a done deal. The coaches he may have been targeting first never got to the point of an offer being extended.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
It's not hard to believe only one offer was extended. In that type of business you are only going to extend an offer if it is pretty much a done deal. The coaches he may have been targeting first never got to the point of an offer being extended.

Exactly. He may have only "offered" one coach a contract, but he tried to get quite a few more to take the job. Those coaches however, saw the writing on the wall and said "no way, not even free burritos can sell me on Iowa."

thakeepa14

Jan 10, 2007
St. Paul, MN
I see where that's possible, I just don't think it happened. Stallings was given an offer and turned it down. Multiple sources told Andy Katz. Barta is trying to quiet the talk about nobody wanting to come to EIU. To some extent, you can't blame him. But I just think he's fibbing on this one...

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
You would think he wouldn't have had such a hard time selling "It's Iowa" to prospective coaches. Everyone knows Iowa is the second Kentucky.

Apparently though Lickliter was impressed.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I see where that's possible, I just don't think it happened. Stallings was given an offer and turned it down. Multiple sources told Andy Katz. Barta is trying to quiet the talk about nobody wanting to come to EIU. To some extent, you can't blame him. But I just think he's fibbing on this one...

Didn't Brewster also say that Pollard extended an offer to him too? Yea, that happened.... :rolleyes5cz:

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Well, gee when you're turned down flat by five guys before you make an offer, what else are you going to say?

What else can he say??? He has to fire the fans up about a guy that many of them didn't know a few days ago.

If he were to be candid and say, "hey Pearl turned us down, Majerus fell through during negotiations, Altman took his name out of the job to go to a better job, Lowery decided to stay in Carbondale, and Stallings said no as well." he'd get killed. He has to pump this guy up to his people, he knew how divided his fans were with Alford.

It actually worked out for him, Lickliter just got some stroke from his peers with the coach of the year award (even though Lowery deserved it more), and Kentucky wanted:laugh8kb: him (if 17 other candidates said no). The guy can coach, he built Butler back after all the players that he inherited, and went to the sweet 16 with, graduated. Life is not bad for Gary Barta right now.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Barta can claim whatever he wishes, but if you read between the lines he was either desperate or incompetent.

Paying a coach 1.2M that was making 300k is very unusual. Barta was either running out of choices and he had to pony up or he is an incompetent negotiator.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Barta can claim whatever he wishes, but if you read between the lines he was either desperate or incompetent.

Paying a coach 1.2M that was making 300k is very unusual. Barta was either running out of choices and he had to pony up or he is an incompetent negotiator.

What is an incompetent person? Alec, I'll take, "Idiots" for a thousand.

Last edited:

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I don't think the hawks were quite at "desperation" point in their hiring, but no way was he their #1 choice...it was a slightly average, maybe a lil above hire. I don't know what future this hire will hold for them, all I know is ours is much more optimistic and I think we can easily tell which school has the better athletic director :)

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
The guy can coach, he built Butler back after all the players that he inherited, and went to the sweet 16 with, graduated.

Because the man who recruited A.J. Graves and brought in Mike Green (from Towson) and just finished his 6th season at Butler inherited all those players.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Because the man who recruited A.J. Graves and brought in Mike Green (from Towson) and just finished his 6th season at Butler inherited all those players.

Read the post. He inherited his first Sweet 16 team, which was primarily recruited by Collier, with an assist to Thad Matta. After that group graduated, he had to do some rebuilding, which is the group that is there now.

I HOPE THAT CLEARS IT UP FOR YOU, I PROMISE I WILL GO SLOWER NEXT TIME.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Barta's saving face on this one. He only made one offer, but the new coach was the only guy left to make an offer to.

I thought the interview was interesting. The new coach seemed to be relatively humble and tried to crack a few jokes which is a big change. He talked a lot about family. The rest was normal ra ra stuff.

He's off to a good start, but he's got his work cut out for him....