ISU Plates at In State Rival Schools

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
Anyone here work on campus of UNI, Drake or Iowa with Iowa State license plates? Anyone here change their plates from ISU to plain (I hope) when they got a job working for UNI, Iowa or Drake?

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
I don't work on another campus but one of my friends went to IC for Med Schools with his big red truck and ISU plates "BEAT IA"

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Is it bad if I want Wartburg plates even though I have no affliation with Wartburg...they look awesome in the bright orange.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Is it bad if I want Wartburg plates even though I have no affliation with Wartburg...they look awesome in the bright orange.

they look something ... I'm not sure if its awesome.

I nearly rear-ended somebody a couple months ago trying to figure out what kind of plate it was.

Better than Black & Gold anyway

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
If I were a Clone Fan I'd get a job at U of I and have ISU plates that read: OWIOWA

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Anyone here work on campus of UNI, Drake or Iowa with Iowa State license plates? Anyone here change their plates from ISU to plain (I hope) when they got a job working for UNI, Iowa or Drake?
I work on the iowa campus. Had ISU OAK plates, but changed them to plain plates after 6 months. In that 6 month window my car was keyed twice and the front plate was mangled after an attempt by someone to remove it (I had special screws on the plates).

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I work on the iowa campus. Had ISU OAK plates, but changed them to plain plates after 6 months. In that 6 month window my car was keyed twice and the front plate was mangled after an attempt by someone to remove it (I had special screws on the plates).
Iowa City is the only place I would worry about it. I grew up on a farm outside of Iowa City, and I've spent a lot of time there throughout my life. I've also lived in Ames, Waterloo (near UNI), and now the DM metro. The circumstantial evidence tells me that people in Iowa City are less civilized than in any other university town in this state, and nobody will ever make me believe any different. (Of course, this doesn't include you, isu_oak. :wink:)

I've been taking grad courses at Drake and parking on or near campus for over a year. My vehicle has ISU plates and window stickers and has never been messed with. I had 2 different cars with ISU window stickers screwed with OVERNIGHT while visiting friends at Iowa during my student days. One had the antenna ripped off, the other had the wheel covers stolen. Classy, classy place.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
Living in IC, the last thing I would get is ISU plates. Vandals run rampant here.

Sounds about right. I was at the IC hospital visiting my grandpa, and my cousin (hawk fan) made the coment that I should be worried for my car because of the plates (TWISTED). I told him I was worried, because hawk fans are vandals. But if he were to drive to Ames with his plates, he would be fine, because Cyclone fans are just better people. He shut up real quick after that.:smile:

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I've always wanted ISU plates but now that I work in Iowa City, it seems like I would just be begging for my car to get screwed with. Even in Cedar Falls I had magnets stolen off my truck, but never any damage like key scratches or anything.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I had a tigerhawk sticker on my back window when I went to ISU. One morning I came out to my car and found muddy footprints from the trunk all the way to the hood. Yes, someone walked on my car.

AustinCyclone

Nov 17, 2006
Austin, TX
Not exactly on topic, but figured you guys would enjoy this pic of my car with the ISU plate frame and logo tag parked right next to some hawk homer with EIU plates. Why is it post worthy? Because I took it in my parking lot here at UT. Some rivalries have no boundaries!

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
see plenty of ISU plates here in the IC area.
I see quite a few come and go, but I'm guessing most are just visiting the hospital or mall. There are a couple that I see routinely on my commute. Anyone with ISU plates that lives/works near the university/downtown is braver than I. In the words of Great White: "Once bitten, twice shy."

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Not exactly on topic, but figured you guys would enjoy this pic of my car with the ISU plate frame and logo tag parked right next to some hawk homer with EIU plates. Why is it post worthy? Because I took it in my parking lot here at UT. Some rivalries have no boundaries!

That's pretty weird.