PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Talk

TDclones
11-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I understand a lot of things can happen within the next couple weeks, but realistically I see us being 6-6 with a chance of being 7-5. So with that we will probably be in one of three bowls: Pinstripe Bowl in New York (Dec 30), Meineke Car Care Bowl in Houston (Dec 31), or the Ticket City Bowl in Dallas, (Jan. 2). These bowl projections are from the ISU article in today's Sunday paper.

Pinstripe Bowl is the Big East #4 vs Big 12 #7 / Notre Dame.

Meineke Car Care Bowl is Big 12 vs Big 10

TicketCity Bowl is Big 10 vs Big 12/Conference USA

The Big 10 will have 10 teams eligible for bowl games after Purdue beats hapless Indiana next weekend. I believe the Big 12 will have 8, I don't think TT will beat Baylor. So with that let the guessing begin. I could see ISU playing someone like Illinios or Nothwestern in the Pinstripe...would love to see an ISU vs Iowa rematch but I just don't think that will happen. Any thoughts?

jj-cyclones
11-20-2011, 09:27 AM
I would love to beat Notre Dame!

theyork
11-20-2011, 09:29 AM

i was thinking the same thing. i hate notre dame so much. f***ing golden gomers.

TOFB4ISU
11-20-2011, 09:30 AM

I'll vote for my other team, Illinois, who is in an utter tailspin right now.

TDclones
11-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Send Texas to play in the cold in New York and put Iowa State in the warmth of Texas...interesting scenario.

isuno1fan
11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Send Texas to play in the cold in New York and put Iowa State in the warmth of Texas...interesting scenario.

not happening.

Expect Alamo and Texas bowl to pick 2 of Baylor (likelyAlamo) and A&M/Texas.

JonDMiller
11-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Texas Tech losing to Mizzou yesterday and likely losing to Baylor in their final was a nice chip for ISU.

CyForPresident
11-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Ticket City against Illinois would be awesome. Probably be Purdue through, which would be a great match up.

cyclonepower
11-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Cbssports has us in military vs unc
College Football News vs purdue

Dopey
11-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Cbssports has us in military vs unc
College Football News vs purdue

Purdue is going to be bowl eligible? I have to think we'd roll them.

ajk4st8
11-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Anywhere vs anyone in Texas would be fine!.

isuno1fan
11-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Anywhere vs anyone in Texas would be fine!.

Anything in Texas for ISU is very unlikely IMO.....see my other thread for the reason I say that.

bosco
11-20-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm ISU fan so I'm paranoid. Is there any chance that a 6-6 ISU team gets the shaft and not make a bowl if TTU becomes bowl eligible.

TXCyclones
11-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Please let it be at the Cotton Bowl! Party at my house before and after the game!

isuno1fan
11-20-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm ISU fan so I'm paranoid. Is there any chance that a 6-6 ISU team gets the shaft and not make a bowl if TTU becomes bowl eligible.

No...we will travel as well or better than any other 6-6 team out there. There is definitely a spot for ISU.

SvrWxCy
11-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Nope.. Iowa State is known for travelling well and will always bring money into the city & bowl game so they will gladly take a 6-6 Iowa State team into their game. There will be a spot somewhere for us...

cyinne
11-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Bowl projections that I have seen: AS OF 11:30 11/20

CBS Sports-Military v. North Carolina
Fox Sports- Ticket City v. Purdue
SB Nation-Ticket City v. Illinois
St Petersburg Times- Pinstripe v. Rutgers
Orlando Sentinal- Hawaii v. Hawaii

hurdleisu24
11-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Bowl projections that I have seen: AS OF 11:30 11/20

How many of those have TT making a bowl game?

cyinne
11-20-2011, 12:04 PM
How many of those have TT making a bowl game?
CBS Sports-Military v. North Carolina- NO
Fox Sports- Ticket City v. Purdue- NO
SB Nation-Ticket City v. Illinois- NO
St Petersburg Times- Pinstripe v. Rutgers- NO
Orlando Sentinal- Hawaii v. Hawaii- NO

cyinne
11-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Bowl projections that I have seen: AS OF 4:30 11/20

NBC Sports- Beef 'O' Brady's- Pittsburgh

driegner
11-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Texas Tech losing to Mizzou yesterday and likely losing to Baylor in their final was a nice chip for ISU.

The question here is if the Big 12 will have 2 BCS teams. If Tech pulls off the upset of Baylor next weekend, there could be 9 teams bowling. If only one B12 team gets a BCS spot it could be interesting to see who doesn't get a Big 12 bowl.

cymaniac17
11-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Nope.. Iowa State is known for travelling well and will always bring money into the city & bowl game so they will gladly take a 6-6 Iowa State team into their game. There will be a spot somewhere for us...

Not to mention, ISU will be at least 7-5 at the end of the regular season. So they will automatically get in. :)

CyBer
11-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Hawaii please.

ajk4st8
11-20-2011, 05:44 PM
NBC says..
BEEF ‘O’ BRADY’S BOWL
Pittsburgh (Big East No. 6) vs. Iowa State (replacement for C-USA)
Dec. 20, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN
At St. Petersburg, Fla.
Comment: Conference USA might not be able to fill this slot – Texas-El Paso could get to six wins – but let’s send Iowa State to the beach. Why not? The Cyclones deserve something after topping Oklahoma State to jump start all the BCS chaos.

Rogue52
11-20-2011, 05:50 PM
IMO, The wild card bowl game this year is the Holiday Bowl.

Does the Holiday Bowl pull an Insight?

IceCyIce
11-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Not a big fan of playing Pitt

CyBroncos
11-20-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm hoping for Holiday.

Fiesta - OU/OSU winner
BCS at large - OSU if loses to OU or maybe a 10-2 K-State team
Cotton - OU/OSU/KSU

The Alamo, Insight and Texas Bowls will snatch up Texas/A&M/Baylor

Holiday - ISU or Mizzou...we travel better plus they're leaving, screw them.

VeloClone
11-20-2011, 06:10 PM

i was thinking the same thing. i hate notre dame so much. f***ing golden gomers.

People have been worried about the officiating being influenced by the big wigs in the Big 12 this year and now we are wanting to play "God's team"???:twitcy:

cyinne
11-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Bowl projections that I have seen: AS OF 10:00 pm 11/20

ESPN- BBVA Compass v. Louisville, Kraft Fight Hunger v. Arizona State
NBC Sports- Beef 'O' Brady's v. Pittsburgh

BigBake
11-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Are the bowls still allowed to "free pick" any bowl eligible team after a certain point? Like what happened the year we went over Mizzou even though Mizzou had a better record.

MaccloNe
11-20-2011, 10:24 PM

Everything was going good and then Jon, Squawkeye, hapless homer has to show up and ruin it.

twojman
11-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Purdue is going to be bowl eligible? I have to think we'd roll them.

They are in the Big 10 so yeah, we would probably beat them. In fact the only Big 10 team I would say is a sure loss for ISU is Michigan St.

BTYamsac
11-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Remember guys, it's all about the dollars spent and who will spend them. Personally, I don't see alot of Clone fans in NYC. I know I won't be one. I can see a **** ton of Clone fans in Houston or even better Dallas.
No one wants to go from a cold region to a cold region. Thats the simple facts. If by the grace of God above we can win one of the next two, I see us in Dallas. My gut tells me that we WILL win one of the next two games.

Ry4Cy
11-20-2011, 10:27 PM
They are in the Big 10 so yeah, we would probably beat them. In fact the only Big 10 team I would say is a sure loss for ISU is Michigan St.
Sure loss??? No such thing.

twojman
11-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Pinstripe bowl is terrible. In New York around New Years? How much will a flight cost? How about a hotel? Cripes, how about a ticket to the game?

dzmetcalf
11-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Sure loss??? No such thing.
I'm sure most people on this board thought last Friday was gonna be a sure loss...I never counted us out but I was not optimistic.

whirlybirds
11-20-2011, 11:10 PM
According to ESPN
BBVA Compass Bowl
(Big East vs. SEC) - January 6, 2012 Louisville vs. Iowa State

Or....

Kraft Fight Hunger
(Army vs. Pac-12) - December 31, 2011 Iowa State vs. Arizona State

College Bowl Games - 2011 College Bowl Projections and Schedules - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls)

Is this even possible?

VeloClone
11-20-2011, 11:19 PM
According to ESPN
BBVA Compass Bowl

Or....

Kraft Fight Hunger

College Bowl Games - 2011 College Bowl Projections and Schedules - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls)

Is this even possible?

If a league doesn't have enough bowl eligible teams to fulfill their tie ins, the bowls shop around for other teams.

alarson
11-21-2011, 12:48 AM
According to ESPN
BBVA Compass Bowl

Or....

Kraft Fight Hunger

Is this even possible?

Compass Bowl: probably not id guess
Theyre the 9th SEC pick, if there arent 9 SEC teams, they pick a Sun Belt team. Sun belt has 2 tie ins and 4 teams eligible.

Kraft Fight Hunger:
Its order of selection for the team that goes against the pac is Army (not eligible) then ACC pick #9. There are currently 8 bowl eligible teams with NC State being a possible #9, but miami has announced theyre suspending themselves from a bowl, so there will only be a max of 8 teams for the ACC to send.

cyinne
11-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Bowl projections that I have seen: AS OF 9:00 am 11/21

Dallas Morning News- Pinstripe v. Rutgers
The Oklahoman- Ticket City v. Illinois
CNNSI (Stew Mandel)- Ticket City v. Purdue
ESPN- BBVA Compass v. Louisville; Kraft Fight Hunger v. Arizona State
NBC Sports- Beef 'O' Brady's v. Pittsburgh

CTTB78
11-21-2011, 09:38 AM
I was exited to see at least one writer (ESPN) having us go to the Kraft bowl in San Fran. That would be my No. 1 choice, followed by the Holiday Bowl, and then the BoB Bowl in St. Pete's.

Stormin
11-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Holiday Bowl would be nice. A bowl in Texas would be okay. I don't really want the Pinstripe Bowl. NYC is very expensive. The trip would cost a fortune.

bgprest
11-21-2011, 09:48 AM
It's been a 28 year dream of mine (since I moved to Dallas) to see I-State play in the old Cotton Bowl Stadium. I've always wanted to go to a game in that historic stadium but have always said I'll wait until ISU plays there.

Now it may just happen... I certainly hope so!

cyatheart
11-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Holiday Bowl would be nice. A bowl in Texas would be okay. I don't really want the Pinstripe Bowl. NYC is very expensive. The trip would cost a fortune.

Yeah, we need to avoid the Pinstripe if we can. About the only good thing about it would be the practice.

CysMyBoy
11-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Did anyone see the stadium layout for last year's Pinstripe? The only seats near the field were endzone tickets. Who woulda thought, football field in a baseball staium... fits like a square peg in a round hole lol

cyclonepower
11-21-2011, 10:00 AM
One added bonus I enjoy is playing BCS conference teams that we dont normally play, looks like that will probably happen this year:smile:

TykeClone
11-21-2011, 10:02 AM
People have been worried about the officiating being influenced by the big wigs in the Big 12 this year and now we are wanting to play "God's team"???:twitcy:

We'd better hope for protestant refs then :wink:

cygrads
11-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Why would a bowl game in Texas want to invite a Texas school before an out of state school? A Texas school is not going to stay multiple nights in a hotel and generally won't create as much of an economic impact as inviting ISU. ISU may not take as many fans as Tammy or UT but the economic impact would probably be as much or more - also I would think that ISU may even take more than Baylor. If the bowls all come down to money why would they take a Texas school before ISU?

CycloneWarning
11-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Please not Hawaii. Great destination, but I would not be able to afford that. That would suck since I have been to every bowl since Insight (even Humanitarian). Would hate to have my streak broken.

Pinstripe is just a stupid bowl tie-in for Big 12. That will be wicked expensive too, but I could swing it by staying out of the city.

Wesley
11-21-2011, 10:39 AM
The question here is if the Big 12 will have 2 BCS teams. If Tech pulls off the upset of Baylor next weekend, there could be 9 teams bowling. If only one B12 team gets a BCS spot it could be interesting to see who doesn't get a Big 12 bowl.
There is an at large opportunity - we have usually seen wight or fewer normally available so having none is unusual. That is what 27-3 will get you. Hey, just beat KSU or OU and take the wait out.

Clone5
11-21-2011, 10:52 AM
My quick take on the odds for us at each bowl:
1. Pinstripe- 20%
2. TicketCity- 20%
3. Holiday- 15%
4. Insight- 15%
5. Texas- 10%
6. Military- 5%
7. Fight Hunger- 5%
8. Compass- 5%
9. Hawaii- 5%

Clone5
11-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Odds are right now unless we jump another Big 12 bowl eligible team, win another game, or have OK State and Oklahoma in the BCS, we will be left out of the Big 12 bowl picture. This isn't a terrible thing as there are a lot of good bowls we could make.

Cyhart
11-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Dallas is a fairly painless road trip from Des Moines. Very doable.
That's what I'm hoping for.

cycopath25
11-21-2011, 11:15 AM
I doubt I will be able to attend a bowl game in Hawaii or NYC so I am hoping Dallas. Also would be cool to play Illinois there.

cy1010
11-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Odds are right now unless we jump another Big 12 bowl eligible team, win another game, or have OK State and Oklahoma in the BCS, we will be left out of the Big 12 bowl picture. This isn't a terrible thing as there are a lot of good bowls we could make.

Cheering for Ohio State this weekend against Michigan. Could give KSU a shot at a BCS game.

hurdleisu24
11-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I think the only way 2 BCS teams get in from B12 is if OSU beats Michigan. The other thing to consider unfortuantly is where does iowa go. The Big 10 will have more teams than spots and Iowa has 7 wins so they have to go to a tie in before Purdue and OSU if Michigan beats them. Then you have the Insight that may chose to have a old B12 game with nebraska vs OU or Texas. the last interesting thing that would help ISU is that its sounding like Penn State may fall way down the b10 order if it doesn't win the BTT so maybe and ISU vs PSU in the TicketCity?

Stormin
11-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I think the only way 2 BCS teams get in from B12 is if OSU beats Michigan. The other thing to consider unfortuantly is where does iowa go. The Big 10 will have more teams than spots and Iowa has 7 wins so they have to go to a tie in before Purdue and OSU if Michigan beats them. Then you have the Insight that may chose to have a old B12 game with nebraska vs OU or Texas. the last interesting thing that would help ISU is that its sounding like Penn State may fall way down the b10 order if it doesn't win the BTT so maybe and ISU vs PSU in the TicketCity?

Good grief. If Michigan gets in with their record of virtually playing a bunch of nobodies then the BCS Bowl selection process really sucks.

How many Top 25 teams has Michigan played? How many have they beaten? Michigan has played one of the weakest schedules ever imagined. And not done extremely well with it either.

hurdleisu24
11-21-2011, 11:49 AM
I know but most projections i have seen have Michigan going to a BCS game ahead of the 2 runner ups in the B12 because they will bring more fans is the expanation that they write

Stormin
11-21-2011, 11:51 AM
I know but most projections i have seen have Michigan going to a BCS game ahead of the 2 runner ups in the B12 because they will bring more fans is the expanation that they write

Well the TV ratings will suffer, because who wants to watch a Michigan team that sucks. And couldn't even win their division in arguably the fifth toughest conference in the country.

hurdleisu24
11-21-2011, 11:58 AM
From a TV rating I think more people would watch a Michgan vs Houston game than a KSU vs Houston game. I think KSU is more deserving if they beat ISU than Michigan is but I could see Michigan getting that pick because of their name more than anything

ISUChippewa
11-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Where is the BBVA Compass Bowl played anyway?

IowaSTATCyclone
11-21-2011, 12:09 PM

North by Northwest, but only if you get matched up against a magnet school.

Naughtius
11-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Cheering for Ohio State this weekend against Michigan. Could give KSU a shot at a BCS game.

...except we're gonna beat them

cyman05
11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Good grief. If Michigan gets in with their record of virtually playing a bunch of nobodies then the BCS Bowl selection process really sucks.

How many Top 25 teams has Michigan played? How many have they beaten? Michigan has played one of the weakest schedules ever imagined. And not done extremely well with it either.

If Michigan gets in the top 14, they'll get an at-large bid.

1. There will be hardly any other BCS at large eligible teams other than Michigan in the top 14. You'll probably have K-State and OU as the only other options other than Michigan.
2. The size of their fanbase will make some BCS bowl drool.

They won't take K-State over Michigan. If OU beats Okla State, they won't take Okla state on a 2 game skid. If Okla State beats OU, they won't want to take a 3 loss OU team coming off 2 losses in 3 games (or 3 in a row if they lose to ISU).

IowaSTATCyclone
11-21-2011, 12:10 PM

(It's in Birmingham Alabama.)

cygrads
11-21-2011, 12:11 PM

SOS really needs to be a bigger part of the BCS formula - when it comes to the BCS games it really should be the best teams not who brings more fans.

cyman05
11-21-2011, 12:11 PM

No way we got there in place of an SEC team. SEC will fill all their spots with a glutton of 6 and 7 win teams.

cyman05
11-21-2011, 12:12 PM
SOS really needs to be a bigger part of the BCS formula - when it comes to the BCS games it really should be the best teams not who brings more fans.

Yeah, BCS is basically a popularity contest. Win the polls and you take the cake. Which is why a non-AQ team will never get a chance to play for the national championship no matter who they beat.

Clark
11-21-2011, 12:13 PM
From a TV rating I think more people would watch a Michgan vs Houston game than a KSU vs Houston game. I think KSU is more deserving if they beat ISU than Michigan is but I could see Michigan getting that pick because of their name more than anything

I agree with all your points: Michigan will bring more fans and higher ratings but I don't feel like they've earned a spot in a BCS game.

I don't think ISU or Iowa fans can complain too much about that though considering we frequently get better bowls than our records would dictate.

Also, it's a good year to get to an at large bowl game with 6 wins. Not as many of those non-BCS teams with 7 wins to worry about.

Stormin
11-21-2011, 12:15 PM

IMO, they would watch a Boise State team over Michigan. Boise State did beat Georgia and lost by 1 point to a rated TCU team on a botched FG. They could easily be undefeated. Michigan is not a good team. Hell, Iowa beat them. Do they even have a quality win? Michigan will be lucky to be #14 in the BCS. They could fall short because if they beat tOSU then tOSU's rating falls. IMO, they could fall short of #14.

cyman05
11-21-2011, 12:17 PM
I agree with all your points: Michigan will bring more fans and higher ratings but I don't feel like they've earned a spot in a BCS game.

I don't think ISU or Iowa fans can complain too much about that though considering we frequently get better bowls than our records would dictate.

Also, it's a good year to get to an at large bowl game with 6 wins. Not as many of those non-BCS teams with 7 wins to worry about.

They did away with that rule a couple years ago. A 6-6 BCS team can jump any 7 or 8 win MAC/Sun-Belt team now. And they will.

Clark
11-21-2011, 12:36 PM
They did away with that rule a couple years ago. A 6-6 BCS team can jump any 7 or 8 win MAC/Sun-Belt team now. And they will.

Oh, well never mind then. I'm glad they did away with that rule.

ISUbaseball
11-21-2011, 12:42 PM
I would love to go to a game against a big ten team. They are so weak this year I think that would be the best matchup for us.

capitalcityguy
11-22-2011, 01:25 PM
FWIW -- Deace just predicted ISU to Holiday Bowl....regardless whether we get any more wins.

CyFan61
11-22-2011, 01:29 PM
FWIW -- Deace just predicted ISU to Holiday Bowl....regardless whether we get any more wins.

Would love this.

ISUFB
11-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Would love a Holiday Bowl appearance!